Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: AX4200; can I connect my current Dlink router

DJ1964
Guide

AX4200; can I connect my current Dlink router

Hi - i have comcast cable internet and currently a dlink wifi router.  can i connect the cable modem to the orbi ax4200 router, and then connect the dlink router to either the orbi router or its satellite, and run wifi on both routers?  Or will they interfere, etc?  Or will performance be affected?  If possible it would be nice to keep the house up and running on the old SSID while i'm kicking the tires on the orbi.  

Thanks in advance.  I'm going to install tonight i think.

Doug

Message 1 of 8

Accepted Solutions
FURRYe38
Guru

Glad that worked for and your getting great speeds. Sounds like time to enjoy now. Smiley Wink

View solution in original post

Message 7 of 8

All Replies
FURRYe38
Guru

I would try the Orbi AX system out using the old SSID name and PW first and see howe the system works for you. 

Having two wifi sources can effect and cause problems in the home... Thought you could connect the DIR router in wired AP mode and have a separate SSID on that router. You will need to keep the wifi channels between the two far appart. I.E. one system using channel 1 and the other usng channel 11 on 2.4Ghz. 

What is the model of the DIR router? 

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?

30 feet is recommended in between RBR and RBS to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected. https://kb.netgear.com/000036466/How-far-should-I-place-my-Orbi-satellite-from-my-Orbi-router

Message 2 of 8
DJ1964
Guide

Thanks for replying.  Its a dlink dir-880L and my home is about 1750 up and 1750 down.  the router will be near the southwest corner and I think the satellite I'll be able to  put about 30 feet away in the living room towards the northeast corner.

Maybe I'll scrub the idea and just go full bore and see how she goes.  Not like I don't have some time on my hands to figure things out and get everything connected to the orbi....and if I don't like it, I can just spend some time reverting back. 

Thanks for the link.  if you have any other suggestions or things to do and things to avoid, please let me know.  

Message 3 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

Yes try the system out first by itself. 

You can use the DIR as a wireless media bridge if needed. 

Message 4 of 8
DJ1964
Guide

Thanks, appreciate the response.  so with 900mbps down from your cable modem, what speeds do you show on a speedtest or speedcheck app near the router and near the perimeter?  I'm hoping for a big improvement compared to what I'm getting with the dir-880.  

Deploying the orbi tonight...

Message 5 of 8
DJ1964
Guide

well, that was easy.  I see what you mean about just calling it by the old network's name and password. Given it was specified on a tag on the router, I thought it would be more difficult to change, but it was simple.  I'm pulling down 400mbps on the other side of the house where I've never got over 50mbps at 2.4ghz and over 100mbps at 5ghz.  

I'm happy...hope it is rock solid.  

Message 6 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

Glad that worked for and your getting great speeds. Sounds like time to enjoy now. Smiley Wink

Message 7 of 8
DJ1964
Guide

thanks for the coaching.  take care,

Doug

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 2 in conversation