Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

AX4200 - rbr750 and two rbs750 - throughput concerns.

syphon
Aspirant

AX4200 - rbr750 and two rbs750 - throughput concerns.

What are people getting interms of throughput on their orbi systems?

What I'm using 

Test setup

• For conversion, https://www.gbmb.org/gbps-to-mbs
    • 4.2GBPS = 525MB/s (theoretically)
  • Internet speed tester, https://www.speedtest.net
    • wired 99% percent of speed - yes wired is always faster
    • wireless - 35-85% of speed - varies should be consistent much more
      • 3 test - 35, 64, 83.  It throttles up slowly.
  • Local Area speed tester, https://www.aja.com/products/aja-system-test
    • 1GB file transfer.
  • Hardware
    • 2 laptops with SSDs (less than 2 year old)
    • AC wireless - theoretical capability 1300 megabits (162.5 megabytes)
    • SMB file transfer.
  • Setup
    • Router - 15 feet away from satellite 1 (no brick walls)
      • Turrned off satellite 2. 
  • Test1
    • Wireless to Wireless transfer - 23 megabytes (seems very low) 

My questions:

• throughput to the internet (percentage of their maximum bandwidth)
  • throughput of peer to peer wireless transfer
  • How do you improve the speed and performance in AP mode?
    • settings don't really have much options.

Thanks for the help,

Message 1 of 17
syphon
Aspirant

Re: AX4200 - rbr750 and two rbs750 - throughput concerns.

Anyone have any real world speed test internet or peer to peer?

thanks.

Message 2 of 17
FURRYe38
Guru

These are wireless speed tests results with a Mac Book Pro 2018 5Ghz AC mode:

WirelessSpeedTestOSXBS withOrbiAX2020-08-23 at 11.16.44 PM.pngMacBookProOrbiAXv6WiFiSpeedResults.png

Message 3 of 17
FURRYe38
Guru

This is with a 8 series Orbi. 

Wired speeds are usualy around 900Mpbs or just over on my ISP 1Gb/50Mbps Plan. 

Message 4 of 17
syphon
Aspirant

Thanks for the response.  What is percentage of the total speed are you reaching through wireless?  Also, is the bandwidth instant on to that or starts at 20 or 30 % capacity then hits the indicated number?

thanks.

Message 5 of 17
Mstrbig
Master

@syphon wrote:

Thanks for the response.  What is percentage of the total speed are you reaching through wireless?  Also, is the bandwidth instant on to that or starts at 20 or 30 % capacity then hits the indicated number?

thanks.

This is my constant wireless speed using RBK753 system with IPv6 active. This was on my Win 10 laptop through one of my satellites.

I was getting below 500 down before activating IPv6. The second test is my Cellphone. It is actually has a network connection speed of 910Mbps because of AX mode support. So it makes some difference.

For some reason it takes a bit for my pics to upload to the forum's sever. 

Capture.GIFCapture2.GIF

Message 6 of 17
FURRYe38
Guru

Well for the mac book pro wireless which only supports 5Ghz AC mode, the speeds I'm seeing is pretty good when connected at 1100-1300Mpbs connection rates. 

If you look at the two lines in the results window, you see how the tracking of the speed happens. Always seems to start low then it climbs up to higher speeds. 

Message 7 of 17
syphon
Aspirant

I'd really be curious to know what speed you're getting from peer-to-peer transfer on wireless.  If you have the time if you could use that tool above that might help me undersand if there is something not being done on my part and i can reach out to netgear support.

https://www.aja.com/products/aja-system-test

Message 8 of 17
syphon
Aspirant

definitely thanks forr taking the time to response and provide your screenshots.

Message 9 of 17
Mstrbig
Master

@syphon wrote:

I'd really be curious to know what speed you're getting from peer-to-peer transfer on wireless.  If you have the time if you could use that tool above that might help me undersand if there is something not being done on my part and i can reach out to netgear support.

https://www.aja.com/products/aja-system-test

This llink you have here is for hard drive read write speed, not any type of network speed test. Since my speedtest images did not populate, my speedtest was over 550Mbps download and 59Mbps upload speed on an ISP plan for 500dn/50up

Message 10 of 17
syphon
Aspirant

If you actually download it you will see you can specify the destination as the network share volume/folder.  It can proivde you a data transfer speed test peer-to-peer through orbi between the 2 SSD devices. Network speed test can be ISP or peer-to-peer on the LAN.  I have ISP numbers and thanks for sharing them in the thread. But I was also looking for file transfer speeds.  To see just how fast LAN transfer rates are.. I was getting 23 megabytes with less than 15 feet from AP and satellite.  Wondering what people are getting.  By using the tool i found.  Unless anyone knows a better tool I'm all for standardiziing test bench tools.

Message 11 of 17
Mstrbig
Master

@syphon wrote:

If you actually download it you will see you can specify the destination as the network share volume/folder.  It can proivde you a data transfer speed test peer-to-peer through orbi between the 2 SSD devices. Network speed test can be ISP or peer-to-peer on the LAN.  I have ISP numbers and thanks for sharing them in the thread. But I was also looking for file transfer speeds.  To see just how fast LAN transfer rates are.. I was getting 23 megabytes with less than 15 feet from AP and satellite.  Wondering what people are getting.  By using the tool i found.  Unless anyone knows a better tool I'm all for standardiziing test bench tools.

I'm very familiar with the program. However your test results would still not be accurate, as you are also rating the data transfer rate of the hard drive plus network. If you do a search for internal network speed, you will find programs that will give you that info.

Message 12 of 17
syphon
Aspirant

Will also look for those tools. But would like to also see this test results as well. Just to get that throughput data point.

If you could also use this would also appreciate it .

Thanks
Message 13 of 17
Mstrbig
Master

I actually installed your program and ran it.

As you may know, MB/sec is different than Mb/sec, as 1 byte = 8 bits. To translate take your MB/sec (MBps) and multiply by 8 to get the Mb/sec (Mbps). Your reported 185Mbps wireless speed you were getting is good, if you have other wireless devices sharing the bandwidth, radio interference, settings, etc. For me to test my system accurately, I would have to remove 23 wireless and wired devices. Because the only accurate test would be to connect your device wirelessly to your wireless router or satellite. Then remove every other device from the network. Run your test again and you may get a more accurate results. 

Message 14 of 17
syphon
Aspirant

So I'm a bit confused.  The 23 MB/sec isn't 23 megabytes?  If that is correct and you're saying to get megabytes times it by 8 which is 184 megabytes.  So you're getting more than the theoretical max yield than what AC wireless can get?   

Why isn't the 23 actually 23 megabytes? Which is 14% of the maximum theoretical throughput?

thanks for helpinig.

Message 15 of 17
Mizer39376
Aspirant

Message 16 of 17
FURRYe38
Guru

Plug your Mbps numbers in to this site to convert to MB:

https://www.gbmb.org/mbps-to-mbs

@syphon wrote:

So I'm a bit confused.  The 23 MB/sec isn't 23 megabytes?  If that is correct and you're saying to get megabytes times it by 8 which is 184 megabytes.  So you're getting more than the theoretical max yield than what AC wireless can get?   

Why isn't the 23 actually 23 megabytes? Which is 14% of the maximum theoretical throughput?

thanks for helpinig.

Message 17 of 17
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 16 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7