Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: AX4200 vs AC3000

Jimanator
Guide

AX4200 vs AC3000

I just ordered an AX4200.  I've been using an AC3000 for a few years.  I recently upgraded to ATT fiber and expect I will see an overall improvement in WIFI speed with the AX4200 (ATT fiber is up to 1 gig).  Any other improvements I should gain by moving to the AX4200 from the AC3000 or did I make a bad upgrade purchase?

Message 1 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

Well you get AX mode over AX. Back haul speeds are 2400Mbps vs 1733Mbps. 

Theres no USB ports on Orbi AX systems. 

Might compare the spec sheets between the two.

Please post about this over in the ORbi AX forum:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi-AX/bd-p/en-home-orbi-ax

Good Luck. 

Message 2 of 8
Jimanator
Guide

Okay....I'm new to the site.  I'll post over in the AX section.

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 3 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru
Bandito
Luminary

in my experience, you are not going to see a significant performance boost with the AX system. It won't really make any difference for your AC clients, unless the AC signal you're getting is on the weak side as the AX will provide a stronger signal.  My AX clients get a slightly faster connection, around  50 Mbps more, than my AC clients do, so not a great deal of difference unless I take them very near the router where they'll get 700-800 Mbps speeds.

I'm not saying it's not worth the upgrade, but in my real world usage it's not significantly different.  YMMV.

Message 5 of 8
farmrt88
Star

In my experience, replacing the Orbi AC3000 with the Orbi AX6000 actually improved IOT 2.4GHZ devices connection strength and speed.  Nothing dramatic for speed but helped the stability of connected cameras and the speed they respond when viewing cameras.  This may be more related to revised antenna design vs AX speed however.  However, the AX4200 has two less antennas than the AX6000 so that should be considered.

Message 6 of 8
Jimanator
Guide

My Orbi AC3000 worked much better.  I tried to set this up for WIFI only and the whole thing crashed.  It took my a couple of hours just to get it working.  Called Netgear and was #19 in line.

Has anyone had luck with returning products purchased through Netgears online store?

Message 7 of 8
CallPaul
Apprentice

Something definitely wrong there. I set up my RBK752 yesterday in ten minutes and it's running with no issues.

Netgear support hasn't been stellar in the past, so I can feel for you. I've returned equipment to Netgear before it was pretty easy but I do think I did have to pay return shipping to them.

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 6 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7