Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

AX6000 (RBR850/RBS850) - Wifi dropping

oytote2
Aspirant

AX6000 (RBR850/RBS850) - Wifi dropping

Hi,

I just boght the AX6000 (RBR850/RBS850). My ISP's (Bell) combo router / modem works in bridge mode. 1 Gbps (download / upload).

House: 3 levels.

• Basement: ISP Router / Modem and Orbi Router (RBR850)
  • 1 Level: Nothing installed.
  • 2 Level: Orbi satellite (RBS850). This one is connected via an Ethernet cable to the Orbi Router.

So, Ethernet connection on the Orbi router and Orbi satellite are fine. I receive the maximum speed. 

Problems:

• Wi-fi is dropping all the time on the cellphones 
  • Wi-fi coverage is not good 
    • Bedroom speed (5 meters): 50-150 Mbps
    • Close to the orbi satellite on wifi: 
      • Macbook pro : 400-550 Mbps (connected on 5G)
      • Huawei P20 pro: 350 Mbps - 400Mbps (connected on 5G) 

I already tried/read multiple solutions in the forum with no successful results. Wifi keeps jumping all the time. 

Thanks for any ideas or solution.

Message 1 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: AX6000 (RBR850/RBS850) - Wifi dropping

What Firmware version is currently loaded?
What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet or more is recommended in between RBR and RBS to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected.

@oytote2 wrote:

Hi,

I just boght the AX6000 (RBR850/RBS850). My ISP's (Bell) combo router / modem works in bridge mode. 1 Gbps (download / upload).

House: 3 levels.

• Basement: ISP Router / Modem and Orbi Router (RBR850) Basements are not recommended locations for main host wifi routers. Concrete and steel will impact signal coverage and performance. 
  • 1 Level: Nothing installed.
  • 2 Level: Orbi satellite (RBS850). This one is connected via an Ethernet cable to the Orbi Router.

So, Ethernet connection on the Orbi router and Orbi satellite are fine. I receive the maximum speed. 

Problems:

• Wi-fi is dropping all the time on the cellphones 
  • Wi-fi coverage is not good 
    • Bedroom speed (5 meters): 50-150 Mbps
    • Close to the orbi satellite on wifi: 
      • Macbook pro : 400-550 Mbps (connected on 5G)
      • Huawei P20 pro: 350 Mbps - 400Mbps (connected on 5G) 

I already tried/read multiple solutions in the forum with no successful results. Wifi keeps jumping all the time. 

Thanks for any ideas or solution.

Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and any unused channel on 5Ghz.
Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?

You can find other speed diagnosis steps in the community faq: https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi-AX/Community-FAQ-My-Orbi-speeds-are-slow-inconsistent-and-don-...

Message 2 of 6
oytote2
Aspirant

What Firmware version is currently loaded?  - V3.2.17.12_1.4.14
What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too? I don't know what kind of router have from my provider... It's Bell Canada my provider. Its the Bell Home Hub 2000. I put it in bridge mode. so, it should be transparent. It's connected directly to my NG.

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft? each floor have 600 Sq Ft.
What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet or more is recommended in between RBR and RBS to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected. As I said, they are connected via Ethernet. One is placed on my basement (router) and satellite on 2 floor. The distance is 25 feet (aprox) (considering that they are on different floors)

Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and any unused channel on 5Ghz. I manual set channel 6 for 2.4Gbz. For 5Ghz is 48Ch.
Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many? I only see 3-4 different networks from my neighbors. 

Basements are not recommended locations for main host wifi routers. Concrete and steel will impact signal coverage and performance.

This is the only configuration possible. Because the ISP's cables go to the main box on the basement. It's so weird, before I had the Eero pro and I didn't have this kind of problem. I bought the AX6000(RBR850) because: 

• I read they were better,
  • They had wifi 6
  • The possibity to put the PPPoe (Eero doesnt have)
  • Hardwire the satellite with the main router. (I had wifi satellites before)

Thanks for any help. I'm tired of checking the router all the days because it loses internet connection or just doesn't assign an IP.

Message 3 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

Try something, turn Off all RBS. Does the RBR loose wifi at all? 

Message 4 of 6
oytote2
Aspirant

I already tried.. My cellphone is able to connect to the router. No good speed (5 to 10mbs) but it is able to connect.
Message 5 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

I would make contact with NG support about this. Possible you may have a faulty unit. 

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7