Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: AX6000, RBR852, or RBR850 isn't compatible with RBS50Y

Nsiddons
Apprentice

AX6000, RBR852, or RBR850 isn't compatible with RBS50Y

So I ran to Best Buy to get the new RBR852 AX6000 Orbi. Hardware installation was easy and quick. I ran into my first issue when I tried to load my backup from my RBR50 but it wasn't compatible ok no worries I set up everything again from scratch. I then try to pair my RBS50Y and kept getting an issue. I know someone on here is gonna ask why cause the new RBR852 is wifi 6 and the RBR50Y will just clutter up the network anyway. I do understand that but until I get all wifi 6 devices and a wifi 6 outdoor satellite I might as well use my old RBR50Y. How can this be fixed?

Model: RBS50Y|High Performance AC3000 Outdoor WiFi Mesh Extender and Add-on Satellite
Message 1 of 16
CrimpOn
Guru

This is a question people have been asking for several months.  "Will existing satellites function with the new "AX" Orbi product?"

If the RBS50Y was previously connected to a different Orbi router, you may need to do a "factory reset" on the RBS50Y before attempting to connect it to the new AX router.

Message 2 of 16
Nsiddons
Apprentice

A factory reset was already done. The sync process looks like it will work at first, bottom turns blue. Then turns magenta.
Message 3 of 16
skyward1
Apprentice

According to Netgear Tech Support, the RBS50Y outdoor satellite and the new RBR850 router, are not compatible.

There is supposed to be a FW update in the "first week of January" (we're there now) that will fix this issue.

The current firmware version is V3.2.8.5_1.2.3

Let's see what happens...

Message 4 of 16
skyward1
Apprentice

Here's an update...

Netgear pushed firmware V3.2.9.2_1.2.4 to the RBR850 router and RBS850 satellite, just over a week ago.  The issue remains unchanged; the RBS50Y outdoor satellite will not link with the new RBR850 router.  Netgear support has not responded to my ticket so, I'm sending my RBS50Y back to Amazon, before the return window closes.  It's strange how they remain so quiet.

Message 5 of 16
FURRYe38
Guru

Thanks for letting us know. 

Message 6 of 16
Hitchcock3
Tutor

Updated to V3.2.15.25_1.3.15. No change. Still can't add the RBS50Y to the RBR850.
Shipping the RBS50Y back to BestBuy tomorrow.

Message 7 of 16
FURRYe38
Guru

I presume FW will have to be updated on the RBSY as well. Thanks for letting us know. 

Be sure to post about any Orbi AX questions or problems over in the Orbi AX forum:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi-AX/bd-p/en-home-orbi-ax

Have a good day. 

@Hitchcock3 wrote:

Updated to V3.2.15.25_1.3.15. No change. Still can't add the RBS50Y to the RBR850.
Shipping the RBS50Y back to BestBuy tomorrow.

Message 8 of 16
skyward1
Apprentice

Hitchcock,

I just read on the Netgear products page that the AC3000 outdoor satellite will work in the extender mode with AX6000.  Due to the difference in technology between the AC and AX, it will not work in Orbi mode.  It looks like it could be a while before it can join a WiFi 6 mesh, if it ever can.  https://www.netgear.com/orbi/rbs50y.aspx?_ga=2.215678231.1011596647.1590616610-771620495.1577827822 

-sky

Message 9 of 16
Hitchcock3
Tutor

So after wrestling with this thing quite a bit, I think I got it to work. First I had to set it up in extender mode to connect it to the internet and upgrade the firmware. 

I was unable to add the RBS50Y via the admin interface. But hitting the sync buttons on the two devices they did appear to negotiate a connection. After a while I got a solid blue light on the RBS50Y and it went dark a few minutes later, which is supposed to indicate a good connection. Using a wifi analisys tool I saw two new networks (2.4 & 5). using the utility I was able to walk around my back yard and maintain a connection to the new networks and to the internet. So I think I have it working. 

The RBS50Y still does not show up in the admin interface or on either Android or iOS App.

Message 10 of 16
FURRYe38
Guru

So extender mode on the RBSY workes. Kewl. Ya, I presume Orbi App and the RBRs web page will still not be compatible until NG gets them to work fully. 

Thanks for letting us know. 

Message 11 of 16
CrimpOn
Guru

@Hitchcock3 wrote:

The RBS50Y still does not show up in the admin interface or on either Android or iOS App.

I am not certain this statement is correct.  "Extender Mode" indicates that the RBS50Y is then like any other WiFi extender from any company.  It connects to a WiFi network (in this case a Netgear Orbi) using the WPS button (or a web interface), and does what all extenders do.  The big difference is that it is one of the few extenders designed to mount outdoors.

Does the device appear not in the "satellite" section of the Orbi web interface "Attached Devices" display, but down below as an ordinary "device"?

Message 12 of 16
Hitchcock3
Tutor

I'm really not sure what mode it is in. I followed the process for adding a Satellite. But I did it without using the admin web page or app. I just hit the sync buttons on both devices. 

I double checked and contrary to what I said previously, the device does appear in the Admin tools, but it is showing up as a device, not as a satellite. It actually shows up twice. If I hit one of the IPs in the browser it says it can't be reached. If I hit the other IP, it is the extender setup page. I'm not going to go through the extender setup process becasue, as I said, before, it is actually working, so I'm not going to mess with it.

It seems possible that it is in extender mode. If Netgear says it isn't going to work as a satellite I'm inclined to believe them. However from a connecting device perspective there is only one SSID. Using the Wifi analizer (I'm using NetSpot) I see 6 networks with 6 separate MAC addresses for the AP. (Router, Indoor Satelite, Outdoor Satelite, each with a 2.4 and 5Ghz network) I can wonder around the house and yards and I can see the device flipping between the different networks depending on signal strangth.

Message 13 of 16
FURRYe38
Guru

So did you load the Extender mode FW on the RBSY? IF you did then the RBSY is using extender or repeater mode. There would be no backhaul support like the RBS850 will have which would be the difference. 

Untill NG makes the RBS50 series compatible, they won't appear in the satelllite connected section. 

@Hitchcock3 wrote:

I'm really not sure what mode it is in. I followed the process for adding a Satellite. But I did it without using the admin web page or app. I just hit the sync buttons on both devices. 

I double checked and contrary to what I said previously, the device does appear in the Admin tools, but it is showing up as a device, not as a satellite. It actually shows up twice. If I hit one of the IPs in the browser it says it can't be reached. If I hit the other IP, it is the extender setup page. I'm not going to go through the extender setup process becasue, as I said, before, it is actually working, so I'm not going to mess with it.

It seems possible that it is in extender mode. If Netgear says it isn't going to work as a satellite I'm inclined to believe them. However from a connecting device perspective there is only one SSID. Using the Wifi analizer (I'm using NetSpot) I see 6 networks with 6 separate MAC addresses for the AP. (Router, Indoor Satelite, Outdoor Satelite, each with a 2.4 and 5Ghz network) I can wonder around the house and yards and I can see the device flipping between the different networks depending on signal strangth.

Message 14 of 16
edellefemine
Aspirant

Circling back on this - so are the AX Wifi 6 products and RBS50Y outdoor extender still not compatible?

Message 15 of 16
CrimpOn
Guru

The RBS50Y will not integrate as a "satellite" with anything but the original WiFi5 Orbi. So. In that sense, "no". If the "extender" firmware is loaded, it is supposed to act as an ordinary WiFi extender with any WiFi router.
Message 16 of 16
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 15 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 6 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7