Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

AX6000 WiFi Mesh System (RBK853) use of third band when using Ethernet backhaul

willkeim
Aspirant

AX6000 WiFi Mesh System (RBK853) use of third band when using Ethernet backhaul

This question is regarding the Orbi AX6000 (does not appear to be available in the "model" drop down list) RBK853 mesh wifi system. I am considering purchasing this, and was not able to find the answer to my question by reviewing the user manual. My whole house is wired with CAT6 and I intend to use Ethernet backhaul. From other forums, it appears that this is possible by simply connecting the Ethernet cables, though it is not discussed very well in the user manual.

My real question is about the third band. If I set up Ethernet backhaul, can I configure the third band, that would have otherwise gone to a backhaul link, as a third wireless network that my devices can access? If so, where is that configured. It is not clear from the user manual screenshots.

Model: RBK53|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi System
Message 1 of 4
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: AX6000 WiFi Mesh System (RBK853) use of third band when using Ethernet backhaul

https://kb.netgear.com/000051205/What-is-Ethernet-backhaul-and-how-do-I-set-it-up-on-my-Orbi-WiFi-Sy...

3rd party systems will not work with Orbi directly. You can use them separately. They would be configured on there systems, not on Orbi. 

Message 2 of 4
willkeim
Aspirant

Re: AX6000 WiFi Mesh System (RBK853) use of third band when using Ethernet backhaul

Yes, I had seen that page. I can see the various Ethernet backhaul connections.
1) after I make the depicted connections, what settings have to be changed in the web GUI to enable the Ethernet backhaul? Or does it set itself up automatically?
2) After the Ethernet backhaul is configured, do I get to reconfigure the third band? Orbi AX6000 says it’s a tri-band device, so if I’m not using the third band for wireless backhaul, can I use that band for a third WiFi network?
Message 3 of 4
FURRYe38
Guru

@willkeim wrote:
Yes, I had seen that page. I can see the various Ethernet backhaul connections.
1) after I make the depicted connections, what settings have to be changed in the web GUI to enable the Ethernet backhaul? Or does it set itself up automatically? I prefer to set up wireless first then connect them ethernet afterwards to ensure the RBS wire setup well.. 

2) After the Ethernet backhaul is configured, do I get to reconfigure the third band? Orbi AX6000 says it’s a tri-band device, so if I’m not using the third band for wireless backhaul, can I use that band for a third WiFi network? The wireless backhaul on Orbi systems is not user accessable whatsoever. 

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7