Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

AX6000 - can I set channel width?

packet_gnome
Tutor

AX6000 - can I set channel width?

Hello.

I am considering a purhase of the Netgear AX6000 WiFi 6 mesh system for my home, as I upgrade my home connectivity to 1Gbps fiber. One issue I have right now in my current setup (Nest WiFi 5 mesh) is that it offers NO control over setting channel width.  On 5Gbps, it always defaults to 80MHz channel width.

The issue is, on the Mac platform, this channel width id not optimal and results in the Mac's wireless connection slowly degrading.  Every day or two, I need to disable / re-enable my wireless connection on my Mac or I'll end up sitting at (say) 13Mbps throughput, s vs. 866Mbps or so, which is what I should be at on WiFi 5 (located close to the AP).

What I'd like to know is whether, on the AX6000 mesh system, I can restrict the serving 5GHz channels to 40MHz only (i.e. disable 80MHz channel use).  Is this level of control provided in the product?  If not, maybe in the Nighthawk WiFi 6 mesh system?

Plase advise.

Cheers,

Dave

Message 1 of 2
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: AX6000 - can I set channel width?

Channel width is handled automatically on 5Ghz on Orbi AX. 

Something to ask NG support about to see if any of NGs routers can do this on 5Ghz. From what I've seen and experienced, only 2.4Ghz offers channel width options that are user configurable. 

Message 2 of 2
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7