Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Add back the option to hide SSID and 3 DNS entries.. or I go back to Cisco

Speed_54
Initiate

Add back the option to hide SSID and 3 DNS entries.. or I go back to Cisco

This is horse crap.. anyone with scanner can find it excuse.. how about those without a scanner not seeing it just to poke around and try to break my network for fun. I could hide my side in older versions of the firmware and have gotten along just fine. Security 101 says obscurity is first method. Well Orbi . Net gear blew that out of the water.. I thought neatgear was security conscience. Maybe the first poster was right.. Orbi/Netgear is not for me either. I prefer more security options than less.. besides what does it harm in hiding it if I want to .. let me decide! Furthermore limiting my to two dns entries now is also removing more options for.. it was fine in older firmware.. then bam gone! I used more that 2 dns entries for years.. without any issues .. can you explain why you limited my choices again? And created an issue for me now? Just let me decide dang it!
Message 1 of 5
titaniumrx8
Apprentice

Re: Add back the option to hide SSID and 3 DNS entries.. or I go back to Cisco

While we're on the subject of losing capabilities that existed with older, cheaper Netgear products...

My Nighthawk had the ability to restrict the guest network from accessing any network resources except for the internet. This was great for isolating cameras, doorbells, smart speakers etc from becoming a greater security risk than they already present.

Also, Nighthawk could broadcast the guest SSID and Not Broadcast the main SSID. This was helpful for the aforementioned dumb devices which would only connect to broadcast SSIDs.

Message 2 of 5
FURRYe38
Guru

Regardless of broadcasting or hidding SSID wifi, wifi can still be detected and found even when Hidden. So that kinda blows security 101 out of the watter in it self. Some scanners are able to detect anything. Reason why there called that. Orbi has never given more than 2 DNS confiigurations. I know of other router mfr what have never given more than two. Especially for home users. Orbi and Router models or mostly home class products. Never have needed more than two. You might find 3 DNS options for business class products which may need that configuration and designed for the business class environment.

So if orbi isn't to your liking then please go find something that is. 

Good Luck. 

Message 3 of 5
titaniumrx8
Apprentice

Just because a knowledgeable and equipped hacker CAN get past a non-broadcast SSID doesn't mean not broadcasting isn't a useful security component. The OP would like to make the SSID non-public. Nothing wrong with camouflage as a first line of defense.

Message 4 of 5
FURRYe38
Guru

By all means, please post about this here and let NG know:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Idea-Exchange-For-Home/idb-p/idea-exchange-for-home

Good Luck. 

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7