Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Alternatives to orbi?? (considering replacing already)

stu3886
Apprentice

Alternatives to orbi?? (considering replacing already)

Currently have RBK853 (router and 2 satellites)

failing woefully with all these horrible firmware updates and unfortunately I just don't have the time to be a member of the Netgear Beta testing team Smiley LOL

Looking through this community shows me that my issues are the same as users have had for the past 5years! (wish I read them first) and factory reset is not a valid fix!!

netgear support is useless and tbh the members of this community are the only saving grace for netgear!

I need satalittes with ethernet ports which was the reason for getting the orbi. 

If you could do it all again... what would you choose and why??

Message 1 of 84
FiiJaS
Guide

Hi.
Same here.
I consider to buy Orbi RBK852. I made some research and I'm not so sure anymore ...
I'm also looking for mesh system with 4 eth ports satellite.
I don't want to pay €750 and still getting some issues...
I'm afraid that there are not many other options to buy
Message 2 of 84
FiiJaS
Guide

Message 3 of 84
Wizec
Apprentice

I’m going to try an Amplifi Alien today. Crossing fingers.
Model: RBK53|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi System
Message 4 of 84
stu3886
Apprentice

Currently reading reviews on the Linksys Velop wi-fi 6 AX5300 as a possible replacement for the Orbi

Message 5 of 84
tak1313
Luminary

@Wizec wrote:
I’m going to try an Amplifi Alien today. Crossing fingers.

recent review:

https://www.tweaktown.com/reviews/9905/amplifi-alien-wi-fi-6-router/index.html

edit:

Forgot to mention - it has a REALLY nice screen built in that actively shows various status information.  Amplifi is a Ubiquiti brand, so it likely has great support (at least better than NG).

Message 6 of 84
Wizec
Apprentice

Returning the Alien today.

Range was absolutely abysmal. Also, do not buy from Amplifi direct. You have to pay for return shipping and 15% restocking fee.
Message 7 of 84
tak1313
Luminary

If you like the range/coverage of the Orbi, but hate the routing, why not put the Orbi as an AP behind a better router?  That's how I'm currently running with my 750s using my Asus for routing.  Plus you can downgrade to whatever you want if you want to avoid the hassle of going back to .10 to do it, and just use the router to block auto upgrades.

Message 8 of 84
Wizec
Apprentice

I don’t like the Orbi at all. Wi-Fi drops too often.

I use it access point mode now behind a Uniquiti ER-X
Message 9 of 84
stu3886
Apprentice

I’ve got my orbi in ap mode and still having issues.

Sounds like it’s just as bad in each mode.

I’ve had to raise another support ticket and awaiting another call back… bet it doesn’t happen… again!
Message 10 of 84
tak1313
Luminary

Which firmware are you on now?  I've had my Orbi locked in since v3 ever since one of the v3 firmwares was forced (which I didn't want) with my Asus blocking all updates.

If you are on v4, have you tried rolling back to v3 (instructions elsewhere on how to reinstate the "yes" button) then block re-forced updates with your router?

Message 11 of 84
stu3886
Apprentice

I’m on V4.6.3.16_2.0.51

Might have to try and find that post that tells you how to reinstate the yes button and block updates (can updates be blocked on the orbi interface or does it have to be done on the modem/router)

Netgear support tried getting me to downgrade the just said “oh there’s no yes button” then never contacted me back again despite me chasing them.
Message 12 of 84
FURRYe38
Guru

NOTE: Have the prior RBS and RBR FW files already downloaded to your PC. You'll need to perform this on each RBS first, then RBR lastly.
https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi-AX/RBK750-Series-Firmware-Update-v4-6-3-7/m-p/2130584/highligh...
Follow normal Manual FW update process to select the v3 FW file for the RBS, as there will be a YES button present. It's only on the RBR that you have to follow the linked process. 

@stu3886 wrote:
I’m on V4.6.3.16_2.0.51

Might have to try and find that post that tells you how to reinstate the yes button and block updates (can updates be blocked on the orbi interface or does it have to be done on the modem/router)

Netgear support tried getting me to downgrade the just said “oh there’s no yes button” then never contacted me back again despite me chasing them.

Message 13 of 84
stu3886
Apprentice

Thank you, I’ll give that a go but first I want to block the automatic updates before spending the time downgrading the FW

Do you know what urls need blocking to prevent NG firmware updates?
Message 14 of 84
FURRYe38
Guru

devcom.up.netgear.com is all thats needed. 

Message 15 of 84
stu3886
Apprentice

So with your assistance i've managed to downgrade from V4.6.3.16_2.0.51 to V3.2.18.1_1.4.14

things appear to be working now... (famous last words!!) I'm going to monitor it over the next couple of days and report back. 

Message 16 of 84
FiiJaS
Guide

Fingers crossed 🤞... pity that we have to downgrade firmware to get device working (so expensive device)
I bought Linksys today . I will see. I hope that I'll not regret this decision 😂.
Some people also complaining about dropping connection etc.. huh
Message 17 of 84
stu3886
Apprentice

Totally agree, at this price point users should have more control over the firmware.

Let us know how you get on with the linksys
Message 18 of 84
FURRYe38
Guru

Ok keep us posted maybe buy the weekend or next week...

@stu3886 wrote:

So with your assistance i've managed to downgrade from V4.6.3.16_2.0.51 to V3.2.18.1_1.4.14

things appear to be working now... (famous last words!!) I'm going to monitor it over the next couple of days and report back. 

Message 19 of 84
tak1313
Luminary

@stu3886 wrote:

You may want to go one more step back.  I BELIEVE that's the one that was giving a lot of people DNS issues (if using as router) and why they came out with the now infamous v4 firmware (that's even worse).

Of course, if you have that version and it's running as AP behind another router, DNS is a non-issue.since it will be the main router handling DNS.

Message 20 of 84
stu3886
Apprentice

Wish i knew that before i spent the time downgrading. thanks for the heads up though. fortunately for now I'm in AP mode. 

Is there a specific stable recommend firmware?

this one is still glitchy, notifications on mobile can take time to come through and devices don't appear to connect to nearest satellite, they still connect to the orbi router meaning a decrease in speeds when not close to the router.

Message 21 of 84
tak1313
Luminary

You can double check the old posts, but I BELIEVE the 3.2.18 had DNS lookup issues for a lot of people (but NOT ALL), which prompted NG to come out with the v4.

So the least problematic would be one step back at 3.2.17.

Be aware though, if you're NOT using a firewalled/protected router ahead of the Orbi, I recall what prompted the .18 update was a known vulnerability for many NG routers (not just Orbi).

Message 22 of 84
FURRYe38
Guru

IT's up to devices to pick and choose where they connect too. Some may not have good roaming features as well.

Try turning down the power output of the RBRs wifi radios from 100% to 50% and see if this changes anything. Under Advanced Tab/Advanced Settings/Wireless Settings

If your in AP mode, you'll be fine on what you have loaded.

@stu3886 wrote:

Wish i knew that before i spent the time downgrading. thanks for the heads up though. fortunately for now I'm in AP mode. 

this one is still glitchy, notifications on mobile can take time to come through and devices don't appear to connect to nearest satellite, they still connect to the orbi router meaning a decrease in speeds when not close to the router.

Message 23 of 84
tak1313
Luminary

@stu3886 wrote:

didn't notice you're in AP.  if you're running it as AP, just stay where you are since your main router does the DNS so the DNS issue is NOT going to be a problem (unless your router has a DNS issue as well).

there was a problem with dnsmasque that affected a lot of brands (not just NG/Orbi).  I don't remember if it was just a security issue, or if it was a combo of security and query issue.  whatever it was (it was a year or two ago), most every brand fixed/moved on from the problem.

my PERSONAL theory at  the time was that NG uses a modified dnsmasque to sniff DNS queries for data gathering.  When they tried to fix it, it borked the thing entirely which gravy trained in to v4.

Message 24 of 84
stu3886
Apprentice

UPDATE:

So I manged to get it downgraded to V3.2.18.1_1.4.14 last week. it was glitchy to say the least with satellite and router drop outs but at least when it was up stuff was loading. 

NG support advised that after any firmware downgrade they recommend a factory reset. (wish I never listened to them!!!)

Anyway... did the factory reset and it tried to do the FW upgrade as part of the setup. i exited out of the app and wherever possible clicked skip. 

Fastforward to today and guess what... The orbi has automatically upgraded its own firmware back to V4.6.3.16_2.0.51 Smiley Mad

I had blocked the site address "devcom.up.netgear.com" on my sky q hub as well, but this clearly hasn't blocked the FW update coming through.

back to square one with a useless paperweight of a system!!!! 

The more I read about this orbi the more I understand why NG has so many angry customers.

Message 25 of 84
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 83 replies
  • 27 kudos
  • 10 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7