Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Alternatives to orbi?? (considering replacing already)

FiiJaS
Guide

Yes. It's true. I can give other name so we can keep both range separate.
Message 51 of 84
Yippie123
Aspirant

I’m considering to add orbi 852 mesh but reluctant after reading this forum. How about Orbi Pro? Does it hv the similar unstable/unusable issue similar to the non pro version?

Thanks in advance
Message 52 of 84
FURRYe38
Guru

You'll need to use to use the telnet method then. Seems like your ability to block using your host router isn't working. 

@stu3886 wrote:

Firewall blocks definitely didnt work... orbi has forced updated to latest v4 again 😞

No wonder so many people box these up and return them!

Message 53 of 84
stu3886
Apprentice

@FURRYe38 wrote:

You'll need to use to use the telnet method then. Seems like your ability to block using your host router isn't working. 

@stu3886 wrote:

Firewall blocks definitely didnt work... orbi has forced updated to latest v4 again 😞

No wonder so many people box these up and return them!

can you recommend which Firmware is the best to downgrade to so that this can be done?

Message 54 of 84
FURRYe38
Guru

I think I saw a post you had the 8 series, if so, "last version of FW that has Telnet on the debug page is V3.2.11.2. All versions beyond that do not have telnet on the debug UI web page,"

Message 55 of 84
stu3886
Apprentice

@FURRYe38 wrote:

I think I saw a post you had the 8 series, if so, "last version of FW that has Telnet on the debug page is V3.2.11.2. All versions beyond that do not have telnet on the debug UI web page,"

Downgraded to V3.2.11.2_1.2.13 and have telnet in to disable upgrade on the router. I cant work out how to do this for the satellites though? is it required? 

Will the satellites still upgrade themselves automatically even if the router is saying service unreachable? 

Model Name Device Name Current Firmware Version Status
RouterRBR850RBR850V3.2.11.2Service unreachable
SatelliteRBS850Orbi Satellite-1V3.2.11.2V4.6.3.16
SatelliteRBS850Orbi Satellite-2V3.2.11.2V4.6.3.16

Message 56 of 84
FURRYe38
Guru

Good question. 

Looking at the users post regarding the telnet method, he seems to inidicate that both RBR and RBS needs that telnet config:

4. Enable Telnet option on both Router and the Satellite in their Debug.html page.
5. Telnet connect to both devices, and ran the following code to block. 

Seems that the RBS need this telnet config as well. 

Message 57 of 84
stu3886
Apprentice

so i ran all the below on the RBR and both RBS's and it still says status V4.6.3.16 for the satellites 😞

the router is all good and says service unreachable, but very worried about the satellites auto upgrading.

nvram set auto_upgrade_enable=0
nvram set ver_check_https_svr1=http.fw.updates1.aaa.com
nvram set ver_check_ftp_svr1=updates1.aaa.com
nvram set ver_check_ftp_svr2=updates1.aaa.com
nvram set ver_check_ftp_svr3=updates1.aaa.com
nvram set lang_check_ftp_svr=updates1.aaa.com
nvram set install_fw_upgrade_latest=0
nvram set ver_check_enable=0
nvram set ver_check_ftp_password=aaa@aaa
nvram set control_cloud_backend_fw_url=https://http.fw.updates1.aaa.com
nvram set promotion_server=updates1.aaa.com
nvram commit

Message 58 of 84
FURRYe38
Guru

Ok, lets give it a day or so and check back and see if the RBS updates on there own. 

Maybe @Xcelebric can comment on this RBS state? 

Message 59 of 84
ekhalil
Master

I have 2 Orbi systems in 2 houses and both are working perfectly well using the very latest firmware versions.
If I will upgrade in the future I will likely go for another Orbi! 🙂
Few main things that I noticed affecting the stability of Orbi systems:
1. Make sure you don’t have multiple NAT routers if Orbi is set in Router Mode.
2. Make sure no devices in the network causing loops (devices that both have Ethernet and wifi capabilities can cause loops). Orbi is sensitive to this.
3. If you use Ethernet backhaul then make sure to pair the satellites first using wireless backhaul then connect the cables and pair again.

If Orbi is correctly setup it will just work. This is my experience since I changed to Orbi around 4 years ago.
Message 60 of 84
stu3886
Apprentice

@ekhalil wrote:
I have 2 Orbi systems in 2 houses and both are working perfectly well using the very latest firmware versions.
If I will upgrade in the future I will likely go for another Orbi! 🙂
Few main things that I noticed affecting the stability of Orbi systems:
1. Make sure you don’t have multiple NAT routers if Orbi is set in Router Mode.
2. Make sure no devices in the network causing loops (devices that both have Ethernet and wifi capabilities can cause loops). Orbi is sensitive to this.
3. If you use Ethernet backhaul then make sure to pair the satellites first using wireless backhaul then connect the cables and pair again.

If Orbi is correctly setup it will just work. This is my experience since I changed to Orbi around 4 years ago.

My setup is a simple one, I literally only have orbi in AP mode. its definitely a firmware issue as when I roll back everything works. (until it forces the automatic update!)

Message 61 of 84
SergeL
Apprentice

Back to the topic, looking at Costco, they have TP-Link Deco AX5700 and Linksys Velop AX4200 systems. Any experience, thoughts?

Message 62 of 84
FURRYe38
Guru

It would be recommended to visit those Mfrs forums and look to see what there users are experiencing with there products. I presume those users would have more information and experiences and post about it there. 

Remember this is a NG forum. Smiley Wink

Message 63 of 84
SergeL
Apprentice

I know, I'm more curious about the opinions of people who did switch from Orbi to Velop or TP-Link products
Message 64 of 84
FURRYe38
Guru

I would not recommend TP-Link anything. 

Message 65 of 84
SergeL
Apprentice

I ordered Linksys Velop and should get it on Wednesday. My Orbi currently runs on v3, but I'm running into issues with switching devices between satellites, and somehow, Quicken now stopped synchronizing with the cloud. Planning to compare speed and stability.
Message 66 of 84
SergeL
Apprentice

Reading https://www.reddit.com/r/LinksysVelop , second-guessing myself ...

Message 67 of 84
e46tiag
Aspirant

I went to from orbi 852 to orb pro sk80 because of the issues after recent forced firmware upgrades. The latest firmware for the orbi pro at the time had similar issues as the orbi. But I was able to use an older firmware and it gives an option to not auto update. Everything works like a dream. There is now a newer firmware but I won’t bother upgrading.
Message 68 of 84
Yippie123
Aspirant

Which firmware version are you on now for orbi pro ?
Message 69 of 84
e46tiag
Aspirant

I’m on V3.1.1.102 which works great so I’m not touching it.
Message 70 of 84
FiiJaS
Guide

I have no any issues with Velop (2xMX5300 parent in router mode, satellite in bridge mode) expect bare-bone functions. Also I noticed that on the Linksys velop page was new firmware available but velop won't update (doesn't saw new version) I had to update manually
Message 71 of 84
SergeL
Apprentice

ASUS ZenWiFi AX6600 currently on sale on Amazon. Going to order that one while my Velop order from Costco stuck somewhere.

Message 72 of 84
stu3886
Apprentice

UPDATE:

So I'm still on Firmware version V3.2.11.2_1.2.13

The satalites still havent auto-updated (even though they are still showing that the update is available) fingers crossed I haven't jinxed this by going into check because it just said "downloading firmware" for both satellites so lets hope it continues to not auto update them!

The orbi phone app shows devices connected but doesn't recognise any of them so just has everything listed as "Unknown" (instead of iPhone, printer, fire tv etc like it used to show before on the later firmware, not sure if this is a known issue with this earlier firmware?)

Images in Microsoft outlook are very slow to load or don't load at all. (I often have to click open in browsers to view emails with images now)

Couldnt connect my wifi printer easily like I could on later orbi firmware but gotaround this by manually typing in the SSID and password and that worked.

Everything else seems to be working ok.

Message 73 of 84
SergeL
Apprentice

Installed ZenWiFi, what a breeze of the fresh air! It took no time to configure and switch, changed DHCP, and WIFI SSID to match, and everything is up and running. Returned RBR753 back to Costco after almost one year, no question asked, saved $100.
Message 74 of 84
stu3886
Apprentice

@SergeL wrote:
Installed ZenWiFi, what a breeze of the fresh air! It took no time to configure and switch, changed DHCP, and WIFI SSID to match, and everything is up and running. Returned RBR753 back to Costco after almost one year, no question asked, saved $100.

can you add additional nodes to the asus zenwifi? currently have orbi router + 2 satellites and need the satalittes so that I can plug sky q multiroom into them via ethernet. (they don't play nice on non-sky wifi)

Message 75 of 84
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 83 replies
  • 27 kudos
  • 10 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7