Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Alternatives to orbi?? (considering replacing already)

SergeL
Apprentice

Absolutely, AiMesh is actually very flexible. I have a quite large house, and I had 3 Orbi, now I'm running on 2 ZenWiFi and planning to add one more.

@stu3886 wrote:

@SergeL wrote:
Installed ZenWiFi, what a breeze of the fresh air! It took no time to configure and switch, changed DHCP, and WIFI SSID to match, and everything is up and running. Returned RBR753 back to Costco after almost one year, no question asked, saved $100.

can you add additional nodes to the asus zenwifi? currently have orbi router + 2 satellites and need the satalittes so that I can plug sky q multiroom into them via ethernet. (they don't play nice on non-sky wifi)

Message 76 of 84
SergeL
Apprentice

One more reason to steer away from Netgear. Asus offers free parental control, free network security monitoring (better than Armor), and not limiting you from accessing support when you need it. Netgear is trying to monitize everything and doesn't really care.

Message 77 of 84
FURRYe38
Guru

Enjoy. 

Message 78 of 84
SergeL
Apprentice

Thanks, the latest firmware update was the last straw. I'm so glad that I was able to return it back to Costco...
Message 79 of 84
FURRYe38
Guru

👍

Message 80 of 84
stu3886
Apprentice

***UPDATE***

So everything has been fine on the old firmware with the auto updates blocked.... BUT since the weekend the router has managed to auto updated to the latest firmware and the system is running very poor again.

I downgraded the firmware again and did the usual telnet blocks but again this morning its upgraded itself automatically!

Is there new stuff that needs to be blocked now to prevent these auto updates?

Is there anything Netgear have changed to allows us to block these auto updates?

Nothing has changed in the last few months so dont know how the router was able to auto upgrade itself 😞 

Message 81 of 84
FURRYe38
Guru

Please review this and give this version of FW a try:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi-WiFi-6-AX-and-WiFi-6E-AXE/New-RBR850-RBS850-Firmware-Version-v...

Been having way better results with this loaded. 

@stu3886 wrote:

***UPDATE***

So everything has been fine on the old firmware with the auto updates blocked.... BUT since the weekend the router has managed to auto updated to the latest firmware and the system is running very poor again.

I downgraded the firmware again and did the usual telnet blocks but again this morning its upgraded itself automatically!

Is there new stuff that needs to be blocked now to prevent these auto updates?

Is there anything Netgear have changed to allows us to block these auto updates?

Nothing has changed in the last few months so dont know how the router was able to auto upgrade itself 😞 

Message 82 of 84
stu3886
Apprentice

Thank you, when it did the auto update i dont think it installed Version v4.6.7.5 so im asuming this will need a manual install? 

Does this solve the issue where facebook and instagram apps dont load properly on iPhone?

Message 83 of 84
FURRYe38
Guru

Yes it will have to be manually installed. 

I don't know. I don't use FB or I on my iPhone anymore. FB is on my Android pad and works fine. I haven't seen other posts about having issues with FB or I with v5 loaded. 

Message 84 of 84
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 83 replies
  • 27 kudos
  • 10 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7