Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Anyone using WPA3 with Orbi RBR850?

donawalt
Virtuoso

Anyone using WPA3 with Orbi RBR850?

Just because it's more secure, I decided to experiment on our home network with switching from WPA2 to WPA3. What I found in testing was that Apple laptops, iPhones, and iPads all connected fine. I had trouble with one Windows 10 laptop, I feel like that I would have gotten that working. The bigger issue was the connections for our HP printers (2), which I could not get to connect - I entered the SSID and keyword/password but they would not connect. The one I worked with the most, an HP Laserjet Pro m475dw, says on its spec sheet that only WEP, WPA, WPA2, TKIP, AES, WPS are supported - leaving WPA3 out. And from the security options available, there does not appear to be any fall back from WPA3, as that is all that is listed in its choice.

So I just wanted to confirm I am correct in this, and also that likely nobody here is using WPA3 unless you dont have any old devices like printers etc. Unless of course you use another Netgear router that handles this differently....

Message 1 of 2

Accepted Solutions
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Anyone using WPA3 with Orbi RBR850?

I tired it in the early days. However Apply made my i phone 6sP unsupporting so I swapped back to WPA2 and AES. 

If you have WPA3 supporting devices they should work. IF you don't have any WPA3 supporting devices, they will not work when the RBR is set to WPA3. 

We are hoping that NG and the wifi security consortium will make a mixed WPA2 and WPA3 mode as to support both modes for better backwards compatibility. NG had the mode early on but found problems with it thus had to remove it. I don't know the status or progress of this. 

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 2

All Replies
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Anyone using WPA3 with Orbi RBR850?

I tired it in the early days. However Apply made my i phone 6sP unsupporting so I swapped back to WPA2 and AES. 

If you have WPA3 supporting devices they should work. IF you don't have any WPA3 supporting devices, they will not work when the RBR is set to WPA3. 

We are hoping that NG and the wifi security consortium will make a mixed WPA2 and WPA3 mode as to support both modes for better backwards compatibility. NG had the mode early on but found problems with it thus had to remove it. I don't know the status or progress of this. 

Message 2 of 2
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 2 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7