Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Assigning static IP on/from Orbi Satellite?

cabchop
Tutor

Assigning static IP on/from Orbi Satellite?

My current internet setup is one Orbi Router AX6000 and three Orbi satellites. I have a Traeger grill connected to my internet (2.4) and I noticed it only connects to the main router, not the satellite that it is 5 feet from. 

I decided to move the grill out of the range of my router (I've been wanting to move it out by my shed which is 65 feet away from the satellite) and cannot get a connection from the satellite. Meanwhile, my phone, TV, iPad, etc. (All in the shed 65 feet away) are connected to that satellite with an 80-100MB download when tested.

Does anyone have any experience with how to get a device connected to a satellite vs the router? Can you assign an IP/MAC address on a satellite to connect to a device?  Much appreciated.

Message 1 of 6

Accepted Solutions
cabchop
Tutor

Re: Assigning static IP on/from Orbi Satellite?

Success! Thanks for the suggestions.  Not sure what the solution was?   I ended up unplugging all the RBS(s) and plugging in one at a time.  Reset the wifi settings on the grill and it worked.  It is now connected to the RBS instead of the RBR.  Appreciate the suggestions and assistance.

View solution in original post

Message 5 of 6

All Replies
FURRYe38
Guru

Try turning down the power output of the RBRs wifi radios from 100% to 50% and see if this changes anything. Under Advanced Tab/Advanced Settings/Wireless Settings

What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet or more is recommended in between RBR and RBS to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected.

IP address assignments can only be set on the host router for devices. RBS are just entry points for those devices out at a distance from the RBR. It's up to the wireless device based on there design and coding, signal, noise and envrionment to connect to a wifi signal. Orbi can only provide the platform. Adjusting the power output is the only thing that may help steery your device to the RBS. 

Message 2 of 6
cabchop
Tutor

Thanks FURRY.

The RBS is about 30ft from the router so the distance seems good.  I tried to lower the power and the grill still wont connect to the satellite.  Might be something in the logic of the grill.

Message 3 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

Can you check the status of each RBS by logging into there web pages using the IP address assigned to them on the RBRs web page. Check to see if all report the same status and connenction with the RBR. All should report having GOOD connections and Security should be all WPA2-AES. 

Using any kind of special characters on your main password for the wireless? 

You might turn OFF all RBS and then swap in each RBS thats near the device to check to see if will connect to any of the RBS. 

Might turn OFF AX mode on the RBR for 2.4Ghz only, apply the setting and reboot the RBR and power cycle the RBS then try. 

Possible something in the devices drivers would need to be looked at by the mfr. 

Message 4 of 6
cabchop
Tutor

Success! Thanks for the suggestions.  Not sure what the solution was?   I ended up unplugging all the RBS(s) and plugging in one at a time.  Reset the wifi settings on the grill and it worked.  It is now connected to the RBS instead of the RBR.  Appreciate the suggestions and assistance.

Message 5 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

Please mark your thread as solved so others will know. 

Be sure to save off a back up configuration to file for safe keeping. Saves tine if a reset is needed.
https://kb.netgear.com/000062080/How-do-I-back-up-the-configuration-settings-on-my-Orbi-WiFi-System
Enjoy.Smiley Wink

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7