Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Bad wifi in large historic house

july1962
Initiate

Bad wifi in large historic house

We recently bought a 108 year old historic 4 story house, so it's really well made with thick lathe and plaster walls. Our wifi is terrible. I bought 5 Orbi RBK843S AX5700 WiFi 6 Mesh routers and have them spaced evenly around the house and we still have far too many dead spots. I think the max I can use is 6. 

Any suggestions?

Message 1 of 3

Accepted Solutions
plemans
Guru

Plaster lathe is great at blocking wifi. Reason why is its usually made with a plaster/concrete mix and it usually has metal in it for support. Basically makes a faraday cage with a plaster cover that also blocks wifi. 

You're going to fight coverage. And a triband system uses its wireless backhaul and that backhaul is going to suffer from the blockage as well.

If you're planning on being there long term, I'd look at finding a way to run ethernet throughout the home. You can try powerline but usually the power setup is so old it causes interference with powerline. You could try using moca adapters if coax was ran throughout the home. 

If you did something like this, you could use a cheaper dual band system and just hardwire them in. And you can use more than 6 satellites but performance tends to drop off if using the wireless backhaul. Using a wired backhaul lets the AP's communicate back to the router without the same interference/degradation. 

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 3

All Replies
plemans
Guru

Plaster lathe is great at blocking wifi. Reason why is its usually made with a plaster/concrete mix and it usually has metal in it for support. Basically makes a faraday cage with a plaster cover that also blocks wifi. 

You're going to fight coverage. And a triband system uses its wireless backhaul and that backhaul is going to suffer from the blockage as well.

If you're planning on being there long term, I'd look at finding a way to run ethernet throughout the home. You can try powerline but usually the power setup is so old it causes interference with powerline. You could try using moca adapters if coax was ran throughout the home. 

If you did something like this, you could use a cheaper dual band system and just hardwire them in. And you can use more than 6 satellites but performance tends to drop off if using the wireless backhaul. Using a wired backhaul lets the AP's communicate back to the router without the same interference/degradation. 

Message 2 of 3
july1962
Initiate

Yes, thank you...I forget about hard wiring it as it just seems to defeat the purpose of wireless! But that's something it looks like I'll have to do. 

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 4 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7