Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: CBR750 router intermittent connection with Dell desktop

CBR750 router intermittent connection with Dell desktop

I purchased an Orbi mesh WI-FI 6 router/modem combo with one satellite in early December (2021). I successfully installed it a couple of days ago, and all wireless devices were interfacing properly (including my Dell desktop). Then, I installed a new Brother wireless printer. It is working fine with the Orbi system, and I can print to it. However, as soon as I print something, my desktop loses internet - although it can still “see” the Orbi. I did a network reset on my desktop, and I got internet back, but again, as soon as I printed, I lost internet.
I suspect this is some kind of address conflict, but I’m at a loss for how to resolve it. Has anybody else had this issue, and do you know how to fix it? (Please dumb down your answer - I’m not great with technology ). Thanks in advance.
Message 1 of 8

Accepted Solutions

Problem solved! (Inadvertent) operator error. Somehow I fat fingered the internet “pause” icon on the Orbi app which prohibited several devices from seeing the internet. Had nothing to do with the printer - just happened in the same timeframe as the printer install.
Anyway, thanks for all your replies.

View solution in original post

Message 8 of 8

All Replies
FURRYe38
Guru

Be sure your dell wifi adapter drivers are up to date.

Make sure the printer drivers are up to date and pointed at the printer correctly.

Try disabling AX mode on 2.4Ghz. Basic tab/Wireless settings on the CBRs web page.

Set CTS to 2347. Under Advanced Tab/Advanced Settings/Wireless Settings

Might set up a IP address reservation for the Dell and printer on the CBR: https://kb.netgear.com/25722/How-do-I-reserve-an-IP-address-on-my-NETGEAR-router?article=25722

Make contact with Dell for help and support information about there product. 

Netgear has set up a community forum specifically for the Orbi With Cable Modem products. Most of the people who watch that forum are more likely to have experience with Orbi with cable modem and know how to work it better than those of us who follow this router forum. Might be more likely to find someone who has a solution if the question is posted there:
https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi-with-Built-in-Cable-Modem/bd-p/en-home-orbi-cable

Please use this link to the main forum product list to review and choose where to make your posts. 
https://community.netgear.com/t5/NETGEAR-Forum/ct-p/en-netgear

Thank you.

Message 2 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

Any progress on this? 

@Bjhickman1956 wrote:
I purchased an Orbi mesh WI-FI 6 router/modem combo with one satellite in early December (2021). I successfully installed it a couple of days ago, and all wireless devices were interfacing properly (including my Dell desktop). Then, I installed a new Brother wireless printer. It is working fine with the Orbi system, and I can print to it. However, as soon as I print something, my desktop loses internet - although it can still “see” the Orbi. I did a network reset on my desktop, and I got internet back, but again, as soon as I printed, I lost internet.
I suspect this is some kind of address conflict, but I’m at a loss for how to resolve it. Has anybody else had this issue, and do you know how to fix it? (Please dumb down your answer - I’m not great with technology ). Thanks in advance.

Message 3 of 8
CrimpOn
Guru

@Bjhickman1956 wrote:

How is the desktop connected to the Orbi system? (ethernet or WiFi)

Is this the only printer?

Netgear provides 90 days of "complimentary support" with a new purchase. On the product registration page, there is a link to "Contact Support".  https://my.netgear.com/home.aspx Select Register New Product.

Would be interesting to hear what Netgear support says about this issue, or what questions they ask.

(Those of us who are long past the 90 day cutoff are envious of anyone who can actually 'contact support'.)

Message 4 of 8

The desktop is connected to the printer via WI-FI (in an attempt to keep cable clutter to a minimum). I did call Netgear because I actually purchased the extended support (I’m that bad at IT). But OMG, I was dismayed at the incredibly thick Indian accents! The person that answered the call tried to repeat my email address back to me probably 5 times, and I could never tell if she got it right. I did eventually get transferred to someone I could understand better, but his only suggestion was to reboot the router - which I had done multiple times. Not a great experience. So I have Geek Squad coming now. Turns out my Ring doorbell quit working the same day that I installed the printer, so I’m thinking devices are fighting over addresses of some kind. Way beyond my pay grade, but hopefully it’ll get resolved soon. Thanks for your answer.
Message 5 of 8

Thanks for the suggestion and links. I looked for a more appropriate forum but didn’t find one. I’ll use that link from now on. I’m hoping I won’t need it. 🙂
Message 6 of 8
CrimpOn
Guru

@Bjhickman1956 wrote:
The desktop is connected to the printer via WI-FI (in an attempt to keep cable clutter to a minimum).

Sorry I was unclear.  The desktop is connected to the Orbi WiFi system with ethernet cable or WiFi?

Most user connect every device to the WiFi router and use the router to communicate between themselves.

For example, I have one printer that is connected to the Orbi with an ethernet cable (because I had a port open) and every device in the house (desktops, laptops, phones, tablets) prints to it by going through the Orbi router.

Are you able to access the Orbi system using the web interface (http://orbilogin.net) or the Orbi 'app'?

Would be useful to jot down the IP addresses that have been assigned to all of your devices, including the new printer.

Message 7 of 8

Problem solved! (Inadvertent) operator error. Somehow I fat fingered the internet “pause” icon on the Orbi app which prohibited several devices from seeing the internet. Had nothing to do with the printer - just happened in the same timeframe as the printer install.
Anyway, thanks for all your replies.
Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7