Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

CLIENTS STOP CONNECTING AT 6PM EACH NIGHT

Getnoldfast
Aspirant

CLIENTS STOP CONNECTING AT 6PM EACH NIGHT

MODEL:  RBRE960 (AXE11000)

Hello!

I have an odd situation with my new ORBI RBRE960 system.  I have 3 SSID's...HOME, GUEST, GATE.  The GATE Wi-Fi is being beamed to a gate where a wireless keypad and Eufy Floodlight camera connect to the GATE Wi-Fi.  This setup has been running now for about 8 weeks with no issue.

Over the past two days, the GATE Wi-Fi works during the day, but at around 6PM, the clients (keypad and camera) can no longer connect.    I went to the gate and tried to connect to the GATE Wi-Fi using my Android phone and although the SSID shows up under my Wi-Fi, it won't allow me to connect.  I've restated the router and antenna that shoots the Wi-Fi signal to the gate to no avail.

I've combed through the router's interface and turned off Access Control and unchecked all options under Advanced/Security/Schedule thinking maybe there was some sort of schedule involved, but didn't find anything.

Just an odd symptom in my opinion.  Hoping someone might know what this could be.

Thanks for reading and I look forward to you reply!

Message 1 of 17

Accepted Solutions
Getnoldfast
Aspirant

Re: CLIENTS STOP CONNECTING AT 6PM EACH NIGHT

Hey TC,

Thanks for writing.    I was able to get it figured out.  Turned out to be an inline coupler that might be the problem.  I tested the two legs of ethernet cable using a cable tester and initially, wires 1 and 2 didn't appear to be connected, with wires 3-8 working as expected.  I swapped out the coupler and it all came back up and online.  I hate it when I make assumptions about stuff like this thinking it "should" be working.  Once again, lesson learned.

Because I assumed that the physical portion of this setup was OK, I focused on the software and other aspects of the setup.  Boy is my face red 🙂

Thanks again for your time and help and have a good weekend!

View solution in original post

Message 6 of 17

All Replies
TC_in_Montana
Virtuoso

@Getnoldfast 

So you say you have 3 SSIDs broadcasting - Home, Guest, and Gate.   Does this correlate to Regular Network, Guest Network, and IoT Network?   Trying to figure out where the GATE SSID is being generated.

Are you running SPC (Smart Parental Controls)?    If so, could you have those devices (Wireless Keypad and Eufy Floodlight) in a group that is turning off access at 6PM every night?   If they are not already - you would want to move them into the  "Always On Device List" group.

If you are not running SPC -  can you see the GATE SSID broadcasting after 6PM?  (Trying to determine whether the SSID is going away, or something else that may be controlling the Keypad and Floodlight is intervening.

Message 2 of 17
Getnoldfast
Aspirant

Hey TC,
Thanks for writing. The satellite is a self-contained system that generates its own WiFi and SSID. It is just plugged into my router directly. Both the HOME and GATE SSID's are on the same subet. The GATE WiFi does have an interface, but the manufacturer suggested at time of purchase, not to mess with it. Havent been in it yet, but I think it is time to at least take a look.

I checked parental controls and I've not activated that feature. However, after selecting the settings options within PC, and then pressing pause (even though it is not enabled), it claims "Oops! You've reached your device limit. You've discovered a premium feature. Upgrading to Smart Parentsl Controls-Premium will let you add more than 20 devices on a single profile." I do have 38 devices connected, but these are the only two devices I've seen having this issue.

Yes, last night I went to the gate around 730PM and did see the SSID being broadcast but was unable to connect to that SSID. Just a strange phenomenon.

Appreciate your time and feedback!

Message 3 of 17
Mikey94025
Hero

@Getnoldfast wrote:

MODEL:  RBRE960 (AXE11000)

Hello!

I have an odd situation with my new ORBI RBRE960 system.  I have 3 SSID's...HOME, GUEST, GATE.  The GATE Wi-Fi is being beamed to a gate where a wireless keypad and Eufy Floodlight camera connect to the GATE Wi-Fi.  This setup has been running now for about 8 weeks with no issue.

Over the past two days, the GATE Wi-Fi works during the day, but at around 6PM, the clients (keypad and camera) can no longer connect.    I went to the gate and tried to connect to the GATE Wi-Fi using my Android phone and although the SSID shows up under my Wi-Fi, it won't allow me to connect.  I've restated the router and antenna that shoots the Wi-Fi signal to the gate to no avail.

Can you connect to the GATE SSID when you are in your house and near your Orbi RBRE960 router?  How far away is your gate from the Orbi router?

When you say "The GATE wi-fi is beamed to a gate" do you mean some other hardware or wi-fi extender device is involved?  If yes, what is it and how can we determine whether it is contributing to the problem?

Message 4 of 17
Getnoldfast
Aspirant

Hey Mikey,

Thanks for writing.    I was able to get it figured out.  Turned out to be an inline coupler that might be the problem.  I tested the two legs of ethernet cable using a cable tester and initially, wires 1 and 2 didn't appear to be connected, with wires 3-8 working as expected.  I swapped out the coupler and it all came back up and online.  I hate it when I make assumptions about stuff like this thinking it "should" be working.  Once again, lesson learned.

Can you connect to the GATE SSID when you are in your house and near your Orbi RBRE960 router?  How far away is your gate from the Orbi router?  No, not before I changed that coupler.  It would attempt to connect, but, just like when I was near the gate trying to connect, it just wouldn't finish the process.  Couldn't not obtain an IP address.

When you say "The GATE wi-fi is beamed to a gate" do you mean some other hardware or wi-fi extender device is involved?  If yes, what is it and how can we determine whether it is contributing to the problem?  Yes sir, I have a C Crane satellite antenna shooting a WiFi beam to the gate.    It provides an 18 degree concentrated beam to the gate.  Without it, no signal until you get to  the house.  The gate is about a half mile away.

Thanks again for your time and help!

Message 5 of 17
Getnoldfast
Aspirant

Hey TC,

Because I assumed that the physical portion of this setup was OK, I focused on the software and other aspects of the setup.  Boy is my face red 🙂

Thanks again for your time and help and have a good weekend!

Message 6 of 17
Getnoldfast
Aspirant

Thanks for taking the time to help SuperViral, appreciate it!

Message 7 of 17
FURRYe38
Guru

Glad you got it working. Be sure to save off a back up configuration to file for safe keeping. Saves time if a reset is needed.
https://kb.netgear.com/000062080/How-do-I-back-up-the-configuration-settings-on-my-Orbi-WiFi-System
Enjoy. 📡

Message 8 of 17
Mikey94025
Hero

@Getnoldfast wrote:

Yes sir, I have a C Crane satellite antenna shooting a WiFi beam to the gate.    It provides an 18 degree concentrated beam to the gate.  Without it, no signal until you get to  the house.  The gate is about a half mile away.

I never heard of that type of hardware before, thanks for identifying it: https://ccrane.com/point-to-point-parabolic-wifi-antenna/

There have been others asking for help extending their wi-fi network to a barn, etc, and wondering if extra Orbi satellites can accomplish this task.  The alternative of something like your wi-fi point to point solution is good to know about too.

Message 9 of 17
CrimpOn
Guru

Would you mind sharing what equipment is at each "end" of this radio link?  (Orbi units do not have "N" radio antenna connectors.)

Message 10 of 17
Getnoldfast
Aspirant

This equipment works pretty well too. I have a few trees that could be considered in the way, but overall I get 4 our of 5 bars on WiFi. It cost me about 250 for everything. The link you provided only shows the actual antenna, but you would need the bridge device as well. PPoe too so that's a plus.
Message 11 of 17
Getnoldfast
Aspirant

Sure! As Mikey posted, here's the link to the antenna: https://ccrane.com/point-to-point-parabolic-wifi-antenna/

You only need the one antenna (and a bridge device which is connected between my router and the antenna on my roof via CAT 6 PPoE) and if you are in line of sight with the beam, they claim it can travel up to 5 miles if physically unimpeded. No other equipment is needed at the other end unless you are wanting to physically connect devices to a switch...then you'd need some sort of receiver. But for my case, with only the 2 devices in close proximity of each other, the beam covers that pretty well. Heck, my neighbor, who's house is right in line (on the edge of the signal's path) gets 4 bars and can connect their phones to that WiFi. Sure saves on running cable. Good luck!
Message 12 of 17
CrimpOn
Guru

This forum provides new information that I find fascinating.  A really unique and cleaver solution to a common problem.  Would love to know what this PoE powered "bridge device" is.

Message 13 of 17
Getnoldfast
Aspirant

Hey there Crimpon,

So, after looking at www.ccrane.com  to identify that bridge module, I couldn't find it using the part number on my invoice.  Here's the parts list they sent when I bought this:

Getnoldfast_0-1647735900009.png

I did find what looks like the device on other platforms (the ethernet cable plugs into the bottom using a watertight sealed connector):

Getnoldfast_1-1647735983805.png

If you look closely there is a small meter with lights towards the top of the white cylinder.  It just indicates connection and signal strength.    The part number for www.ccrane.com   is  ANT WIFI KIT TUBE-2H, but again, when searching for that specifically on their site, it doesn't come up uniquely.  TBH, the gentleman I worked with added it without me ever seeing it online...it was just a necessary part for this to work.  I've seen it on other branded antennas (e.g. Direct TV).

Getnoldfast_3-1647736203248.png

Anyway, once it is pointed in a relatively precise manner, it works very well.  Hope this helps and if you have any other  questions, please don't hesitate!

Message 14 of 17
Getnoldfast
Aspirant

Not sure why my images are showing up so let me try again.

CCRANE Parts List.pngBridge Adapter-CCRANE.pngDirectTV with Bridge Attached.png

Message 15 of 17
Getnoldfast
Aspirant

Let me know if you can't see these images posted above.  

Message 16 of 17
Mikey94025
Hero

@Getnoldfast wrote:

Let me know if you can't see these images posted above.  

They are not viewable yet.  Inline images must be previewed and approved by a moderator.  You can instead attach the image files for viewing and these will be immediately available to others.

Message 17 of 17
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 16 replies
  • 4 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7