Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Can I ethernet connect the old RBR50 in AP mode to the new RBR850 and broadcast the same SSID?

dklimas
Apprentice

Can I ethernet connect the old RBR50 in AP mode to the new RBR850 and broadcast the same SSID?

I upgraded my AC3000 mesh to the AX6000 mesh. I want to continue to use my Orbi Voice in the garage to listen to music and turn lights on/off with Alexa. Can I connect the RBR50 router to the new system in AP mode then have it broadcast the same SSID and continue to use the Orbi Voice and Alexa commands in the garage?

Message 1 of 8

Accepted Solutions
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Can I ethernet connect the old RBR50 in AP mode to the new RBR850 and broadcast the same SSID?

Something you can try bug it may cause problems. You should set a different SSID name and be sure to use far separate channels on each RBR. 1 for 2.4Ghz and 11 for the other. Same with the 5Ghz radios. 

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 8

All Replies
FURRYe38
Guru

Something you can try bug it may cause problems. You should set a different SSID name and be sure to use far separate channels on each RBR. 1 for 2.4Ghz and 11 for the other. Same with the 5Ghz radios. 

Message 2 of 8
dklimas
Apprentice

It did indeed work (Alexa works too) but I did notice I don't have any Voice control settings in the app for the RB40V like I did before. Not a deal breaker. I'm just glad I can control smart devices in the garage through the RB40V. I also didn't see a way to hide the RBR50's SSID like I could prior to upgrading to wifi 6.
Message 3 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

Glad you got it working. 

Ya, hidding SSIDs are not supported on Orbi AX. 

Enjoy. Smiley Wink

Message 4 of 8
ekhalil
Master

@dklimas wrote:

I upgraded my AC3000 mesh to the AX6000 mesh. I want to continue to use my Orbi Voice in the garage to listen to music and turn lights on/off with Alexa. Can I connect the RBR50 router to the new system in AP mode then have it broadcast the same SSID and continue to use the Orbi Voice and Alexa commands in the garage?

You can also connect the Orbi Voice as a wired Satellite to the Orbi AX6000 then you can have it as part of the mesh.

Message 5 of 8
dklimas
Apprentice

@ekhalil wrote:

@dklimas wrote:

You can also connect the Orbi Voice as a wired Satellite to the Orbi AX6000 then you can have it as part of the mesh.

Good to know but in my case I don't have ethernet in the garage. 

Message 6 of 8
dklimas
Apprentice

@FURRYe38 wrote:

Ya, hidding SSIDs are not supported on Orbi AX. 

So it's more of an app thing and not a hardware thing? Or because the RBR50 is behind the RBR850 and in AP mode the RBR850 rules apply?

Message 7 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

A UI issue thats not seen on Orbi AX. 

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7