Can't Update Firmware

Lypny
Tutor

Can't Update Firmware

Hello everyone,

I'm reposting this from the Orbi forum on the suggestion of a couple of community members.

I've got an RBK852 AX6000 (system), and recently received an email saying that I should update the firmware using the Orbi app. 

My current firmware version is V3.2.16.22_1.4.9 and my understanding is that the new version is V3.2.17.12_1.4.14.

I've tried repeatedly to update using the Orbi app but always get the message, "No new firmware is available at this time." I found the new firmware on Orbi's website and downloaded manually, but I can't install it because MacBooks no longer come with Ethernet ports! How can I install the new firmware?

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Regards,

Gregory

Model: RBK53|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi System
Message 1 of 6

Accepted Solutions
Mikey94025
Prodigy

Re: Can't Update Firmware

@Lypny wrote:

I've tried repeatedly to update using the Orbi app but always get the message, "No new firmware is available at this time." I found the new firmware on Orbi's website and downloaded manually, but I can't install it because MacBooks no longer come with Ethernet ports! How can I install the new firmware?

You can upload the firmware you manually downloaded over wireless, and without relying upon wired ethernet, by using the web admin portal instead of the mobile app (http://orbilogin.com).  This post has the steps you need to take to manually update the Orbi firmware: https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi-AX/New-RBR750-RBS750-Series-Firmware-Version-v3-2-17-12-Releas....

Make sure you first extract the firmware file from what you downloaded -- It's a .CHK file.  When you manually update the Orbi firmware, you do it individually for each satellite and your base.  There is a different download for the satellite firmware vs. the base firmware.

The instructions in the above post are referring to the satellite(s) firmware update:

1. Go to orbilogin.com, Advanced tab, Administration..Firmware Update
  2. Select Manual Update tab - Now you see a textbox for updating the base plus a list of satellites.
  3. Click a satellite checkbox
  4. Press the Update button to the lower-right of the satellites list.
    • DO NOT press the Browse or Upload buttons above the satellites list, because these are for updating the RBR (base) and not the RBSs!
  5. A little popup browser window should appear, with the satellite's IP address and pointing to its admin website.  For example, I get one pointed at 192.168.1.6/fwUpdate.htm.
  6. You have to login with admin and password again.
  7. Now you see the satellite's Firmware Update page and it's here that you browse for and upload your CHK file for the RBS.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 6

All Replies
Mikey94025
Prodigy

@Lypny wrote:

You can upload the firmware you manually downloaded over wireless, and without relying upon wired ethernet, by using the web admin portal instead of the mobile app (http://orbilogin.com).  This post has the steps you need to take to manually update the Orbi firmware: https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi-AX/New-RBR750-RBS750-Series-Firmware-Version-v3-2-17-12-Releas....

Make sure you first extract the firmware file from what you downloaded -- It's a .CHK file.  When you manually update the Orbi firmware, you do it individually for each satellite and your base.  There is a different download for the satellite firmware vs. the base firmware.

The instructions in the above post are referring to the satellite(s) firmware update:

1. Go to orbilogin.com, Advanced tab, Administration..Firmware Update
  2. Select Manual Update tab - Now you see a textbox for updating the base plus a list of satellites.
  3. Click a satellite checkbox
  4. Press the Update button to the lower-right of the satellites list.
    • DO NOT press the Browse or Upload buttons above the satellites list, because these are for updating the RBR (base) and not the RBSs!
  5. A little popup browser window should appear, with the satellite's IP address and pointing to its admin website.  For example, I get one pointed at 192.168.1.6/fwUpdate.htm.
  6. You have to login with admin and password again.
  7. Now you see the satellite's Firmware Update page and it's here that you browse for and upload your CHK file for the RBS.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 6
Lypny
Tutor

Thank you, Mikey.

Much obliged. I will gather my courage and give it a shot. This is much more involved than updating the firmware on my old Apple Time Capsule.

Gregory

Message 3 of 6
Mikey94025
Prodigy

@Lypny wrote:

Much obliged. I will gather my courage and give it a shot. This is much more involved than updating the firmware on my old Apple Time Capsule.

Alternatively, if you do not require updating your firmware then just wait.  Netgear will eventually make it available for automatic update as they slowly roll it out to installed Orbis.

Your Orbi will update itself automatically or you'll notice that there is a new firmware update available and you can simply press the "Update All" button in orbilogin.com's Advanced... Administration... Firmware Update page.

Message 4 of 6
Lypny
Tutor

Good to know. Thanks again. Now compiling a set of Orbi notes! Apart from this complication, Orbi has worked reliably and the speed is impressive, at least as compared to Time Capsule, which I had been using for probably a decade.

Gregory

Message 5 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

https://kb.netgear.com/31573/How-do-I-manually-upgrade-firmware-on-my-Orbi-router-using-orbilogin-co...
https://kb.netgear.com/000037217/How-do-I-check-and-manually-upgrade-the-firmware-on-my-Orbi-satelli...

My Setup (Cable 1Gbps/50Mbps)>CAX80 v2.1.2.1(LAG Disabled)> RBK953(v6.0.3.68) & XR450(v130)
Additional NG HW: C7800/CM1100/CM1200CM2000, Orbi CBK40, CBR750, RBK853 v4.6.3.16(AP) & RBK752 v4.6.5.14, RBK50(v22), SXR30(v110), R7000(v34), R7800(v84), R7960P(v82), EX7500/EX7700, and WNHDE111
Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 6E