Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Can't acess Orbi RBK852 when configured as an AP

JJNorcal
Tutor

Can't acess Orbi RBK852 when configured as an AP

I'm trying to replace an R7000, which works fine in AP mode behind an erlite router which is in turn behind a Netgear CM1150v Comcast modem.  The R7000 still works OK, but I have to reboot it a couple of times a week.

I first tried to configure using the orbi iPhone app.  It came up in router mode without offering an AP choice, wifi was OK, but understandably no internet access.

So I connected laptop to a lan port, and configured through the admin portal, where I could locate an opportunity to use AP mode.  But I couldn't access the admin after switching to AP.  I tried DHCP with and without reservations, and I finally tried a fixed IP.  It was at that point that I noticed that wifi devices did have access to the internet, yet I still could not access admin.

I reviewed erlite DHCP reservations where I ran across three different MAC addresses, none of which matched the label on the bottom of the orbi.  I tried to access the three different IP addresses from LAN port, but none of them worked.  orbilogin.com/.net also did not work.

I called Netgear support and worked with them for about an hour, maybe more.  They brought up the possibility of my network, but I pointed out that after disconnecting the cable between erlite and orbi, I still could not access orbi.  Then they suggested that I return the unit I purchased 2 days ago, and replace it with a new one.  If it behaves the same, then they would escalate to engineering.

I'm new to Orbi, and I thought I would check in here.  I admit that I have not yet researched Orbi routing performance, but erlite is near gig speed and working well for me.  Should I consider moving the orbi router into a closet near the far end of my house, or should I continue to leverage the existing enet cable which is central to my downstairs.  I plan to use the satelite upstairs, where due to the split level of our house on a hill, it will server our backyard quite nicely.

Any advice on erlite vs RBK852 routing performance, and any advice on how to get AP mode to work, would be greatly appreciated!  Or should I just send the unit back?

Thanks in advance.

Message 1 of 10
FURRYe38
Guru

Did you try orbilogin.com or try connecting to the new IP address given to the RBR when in AP mode that after you connected the RBR to the R7000 router, it would have been give a new IP address. Use this IP address to connect to the RBRs web page when in AP mode.

https://kb.netgear.com/31218/How-do-I-configure-my-Orbi-router-to-act-as-an-access-point and https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H7LOcJ8GdDo&app=desktop

Why not replace the R7000 router and put the RBR850 in it's place as the router? 

Message 2 of 10
JJNorcal
Tutor

My reply disappeared?

Message 3 of 10
FURRYe38
Guru

Try again...

Message 4 of 10
JJNorcal
Tutor

Reply was a bit long, sigh...

I took another run at this today.  First I restored factory settings and brought Orbi up in AP mode with a fixed IP.  Orbi came up, wifi OK, Internet access OK, but unable to access orbi admin.  I tried the IP address I configured it with, 192.168.1.1, and orbilogin.com.  I tried from orbi enet port and from wifi.  No go.

Then I restored factory settings again to get control over orbi admin and brought orbi up in AP mode using the preferred DHCP mechanism.  Orbi wifi came up, but no internet access.  I tried to logon using 192.168.1.1, orbilogin.com, and all 3 (yes, there were three at this point) IP addresses my wired EdgeRouter had allocated for Orbi (some reservations might have been from yesterday).  No go.

Then I tried this Windows trick over wifi:

netsh wlan show networks mode=bssid

arp -a

With my old Netgear R700 running in AP mode, I can easily match up MAC addresses returned by netsh command with IP addresses returned by arp.  But with Orbi, arp failed to register even a single match.

I'm thinking I'm going to return this, but I'm not very confident that another unit will behave differently.

One more call for advice.  Thanks in advance.

Comcast 1G/50M -> CM1150V -> EdgeRouter Lite -> RBK852

PS - posting keeps complaining that it finds "invalid HTML" in my message body, but second attempt seems to go through.

Message 5 of 10
FURRYe38
Guru

What is the IP address pools string your main host router uses? 192.168.1.1? Just checking. The RBR needs to use same Ip address pool string as what the main host router uses. 

"I tried the IP address I configured it with, 192.168.1.1, and orbilogin.com.  I tried from orbi enet port and from wifi" 

Try setting 192.168.1.85 as a static IP address for the RBR in AP mode. Be sure you fill in the gateway, and subnet mask and DNS correctly.

Apply the change then access the RBRs web page at 192.168.1.85

Message 6 of 10
JJNorcal
Tutor

Two pools:

192.168.1.0/24 - wired devices

192.168.2.0/24 - wifi (including AP)

When configuring orbi with static IP, I've been giving it:

IP: 192.168.2.200 (same IP I use for Nighthawk)

Mask: 255.255.255.0

Gateway: 192.168.2.1

DNS: 192.168.2.1 (my EdgeRouter implements DNS caching)

After setting above, I attempted to access using 192.168.2.200.

Message 7 of 10
FURRYe38
Guru

This should have worked. Or 192.168.2.85

Message 8 of 10
JJNorcal
Tutor

Thanks @FURRYe38, I appreciate your advice.  I have decided to take Netgear up on their offer to try another unit, and then escalate to engineering if/when needed.

I almost went down the path of letting RBR be the main router, but then I would have to reconfigure my network, set up new DHCP reservations, and set up port forwarding rules for my NAS.  I really prefer separating router and AP functions.

Anyway, thanks again!

Message 9 of 10
FURRYe38
Guru

Ok sounds like you just had a bad unit then. You'll be able to get into the RBRs web page in AP mode. It does work. Let us know how the new replacement works for you. 

Message 10 of 10
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7