Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Can't add setellites to RBR750 in AP mode

dbrb2
Apprentice

Can't add setellites to RBR750 in AP mode

I have an RBR750 router, running V4.6.5.14_2.0.54, with 2 satellites, all of which arrived from Amazon today. 

Because, when acting as a router, the RBK750 has rather limited firewall and DNS capabilities, I have set the RBN750 up in AP mode, and used an openWRT box to do my routing. 

This seems to have solved one problem. BUT....

The two satellites now will not pair. I have factory reset them, as well as moved them right next to the RBK750, with no change in behaviour. 

The only thing I have found, which could be relevant, is when I run "check firmware" from the App, it times out with "there was a problem checking the firmware" 

Does anyone have any suggestions? Currently my two satellites are nothing more than slightly warm door-stops! 

Message 1 of 17
dbrb2
Apprentice

Re: Can't add setellites to RBR750 in AP mode

Some progres....

Adding the sattellite via a wired connection has made it appear, with a large BUT

It is shown as having an IP address that has not been handed out by my DHCP server

It can't be pinged

It is apparently "ourt of sync" 

Orbi Satellite-1192.168.1.250

10:0C:6B:63:48:D0

Wired

Orbi Router
10:0C:6B:5D:B5:87

Out of Sync

Message 2 of 17
FURRYe38
Guru

What is the brand and model # of your host router or DHCP server?

You might wanna update FW and see:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi-WiFi-6-AX-and-WiFi-6E-AXE/New-RBR750-RBS750-Firmware-Version-v...

Message 3 of 17
dbrb2
Apprentice

The router is openWRT Some progress is being made:...

The router is openWRT 

Some progress is being made: 

Amazon have agreed to replace the hardware with a copy that has not already been registered with Netgear, giving me the opportunity to raise tickets

In addition, by leaving the satellites connected to the master via cat5 for some time, they have now synced.

Router:
RBS750
V4.6.5.14
No Internet

Satellite

RBS750
V4.6.3.16
Orbi Satellite-1

However, the firmware page shows the above - perhaps the version discontinuity was a problem. The reported status seems odd - they are difinitely on the imternet, since I am using them to post this message! I am guessing this is a bug to do with being in AP mode...

A manual firmware update with the relevant files for the satellite: 

https://kb.netgear.com/000064226/RBR750-RBS750-Firmware-Version-4-6-5-14

failed with "Firmware upgrade failed. Please check your file." As part of this, it tried to open the web interface of the satellite - http://192.168.1.31/fwUpdate.htm - however this hangs. Each satellite was listening on port 80, but seems to return an empty page when I query it with wget 

After a factory reset of both satellites, they seem to have responded and taken the firmware uodate....

Message 4 of 17
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: The router is openWRT Some progress is being made:...

v4.6.5.14 has been problematic for most users since it came out. 

I recommend try the newer stuff I linked. 

Message 5 of 17
dbrb2
Apprentice

Thanks 

I have managed to get that latest f/w onto all devices now 

Something is still iffy thogh - the satellites are still broacasting the default ORBI SSID, whilst the router is using the correct SSID. So much for a mesh!  

Disconnecting the wired backhaul, and they won't sync at all 

Problem for the weekend maybe...

Message 6 of 17
dbrb2
Apprentice

No luck this morning:

the satelites and "router" are all running latest f/w now (6.7.5 linked to above) 

Topology is: 

Openreach fibre Modem > Openwrt Router with 1 WAN and 1 LAN interface, also providing DHCP and DNS on the LAN > Orbi "router" in AP mode (tried using both WAN and LAN ports) > wired switch via ORBI LAN ports 

Orbi "router" has a static IP 

Satellites can be seen if connected via wire to the Orbi, but not otherwise 

However, Amazon have agreed to swap the units for a new set which is still under Netgear support, so that may help! 

Message 7 of 17
FURRYe38
Guru

Did you first power OFF the RBR and RBS after applying the FW update? Or has a full on factory reset and setup from scratch on the RBR and RBS been performed? 

I would first try fully syncing the RBS to the RBR while in Router mode first, with RBS in same room as the RBR to ensure they are getting connected and fully synced and operating correctly using your custom SSID name. Check each RBS web page for SSID name and WPA2 security mode setting, they should be same has whats on the RBR.

Once this has been done, then configure the RBR for AP mode. 

Message 8 of 17
dbrb2
Apprentice

Thanks 

I have factory reset the satellites, but not the "router" unit yet 

This is mainly becuase the first time, when I was using PPPoE and no third party router, the setup app would not let me specify PPPoE initially - so repeatedbly crashed after "detecting internet" for 10 minutes or so - so initial setup took over an hour. Eventually, after timing out, it asked me if I wanted to use PPPoE. 

I will try this again once the kit has been replaced with under-warranty kit, which, fingers crossed, should be later this week 🙂 

Thanks!

Message 9 of 17
FURRYe38
Guru

@dbrb2 wrote:

Thanks 

I have factory reset the satellites, but not the "router" unit yet <the router needs reset as well to be sure. 

This is mainly becuase the first time, when I was using PPPoE and no third party router, the setup app would not let me specify PPPoE initially - so repeatedbly crashed after "detecting internet" for 10 minutes or so - so initial setup took over an hour. Eventually, after timing out, it asked me if I wanted to use PPPoE. 

I will try this again once the kit has been replaced with under-warranty kit, which, fingers crossed, should be later this week 🙂 

👍

Message 10 of 17
dbrb2
Apprentice

Ran through this tonight after all

Factory reset of router 

Started new setup via app 

All went fine 

Router came up in router mode, both satellites connected 

Changed to AP with static IP on router 

Router came up in AP mode....both satellites disconnected for ~10 minutes...then.....success

Will keep an eye on things for stability.....

Message 11 of 17
FURRYe38
Guru

Ok. 10 minutes though...Hmm. Seems a bit too long but, if they did and seems to be working, keep an eye on it. 

Did you sync the RBS one at a time or both at the same time? 

Message 12 of 17
FURRYe38
Guru

Just FYI, I'm seting up my 7 series Orbi for AP mode and will see if I can help reproduce this. Just updated to v4.6.7.5 on both units. I only have 1 RBS though. 

Message 13 of 17
dbrb2
Apprentice

Thanks - from my end, the replacement kit arrived today - and so far it is all working. 

If I had to guess the problem, I think it may be related to my attempt to use PPPoE

On my initial install, the modem and Orbi router were directly connecred. The Orbi app spent a long time "checking for internet" before asking for PPPoE details, and crashed a few times. 

The two times I ran a setup from scratch with the orbi connected to a DHCP network, it worked very smoothly 

In both cases, I set the kit up in routing mode (double NAT, yuck), upgraded the firmware, then changed to AP 

Out of interest, what is the status of the linked to firmware? It seems to be more up to date than that on the Netgear website....I just want to be sure I haven't accidentally given the PLA a backdoor into my network 🙂 

Cheers for all youer help! I'll keep monitoring my kit for the next day or so to see how stable it is(n't). Fingers crossed! 

Message 14 of 17
FURRYe38
Guru

Sounds good. Odd that PPPoE would effect the RBS not be able to sync in AP mode. Hmmm.

Ok well, where what I setup:

NG R7960P connected to CAX80 that runs in modem only mode. R7960P wifi disabled. 

RBR750 first setup off line and not connected to anything. Kind of already had a configuration running in router mode. Only thing I did was update FW on both the RBS and RBR. Power them both OFF for a minute or longer then back ON. After the RBR and RBS were online while in router mode, The RBS showed being wired status to the RBR initally which it shouldn't have since I had not connected the ethernet cable as it was re-syncing the RBR after the FW update:

RBSWiredStatusWithRBSWirelessComingOnline.png

RBS web page showed wirelessly connected to the RBR: 

RBSWirelesslyConnected2RBRDuring1stSync.png

I waited a few more minutes the the status for the RBS appeared correctly on the RBR:

RBSStatusChanged2WirelessOnRBRAfterWaitingMoreMinutes..png

After it seemed to be all up and running in router mode, I went in and configured AP Mode and set a static IP (192.168.0.75) on the RBR. After making the confuguration, I applied the change and the RBR rebooted. I connected the RBR to the R7960P at this point. RBR rebooted and came to ready with front LED OFF. RBS also came to ready however not after a 2nd reboot on it's own for some reason:

RBSConnected2RBR1stAttempt.png

RBS disconnected on it's own and seem to reboot as I saw the front LED pulsate WHITE:

RBSDisconnectedAfter1stConnecting2RBR.png

I waited a bit longer and saw the front LED turn BLUE again and found it re-connected on the RBR, this time with a different IP address:

RBSConnected2RBRFinalAttempt.png

After this it settled in and stayed and got a new IP address. Front LED turned OFF after a few minutes. 

So I then connected my ethernet cable between the RBS and directly to the back of the RBR. Front LED on the RBS turned on BLUE:

RBSWireConnected2RBR_APmode.png

I checked the RBS status page and showed the wireless was grayed out meaning it was ethernet connected:

RBSWiredAPModeStatusPage.png

Checked the R7960Ps connected clients page and showed both being connected and confirming same IP addressing:

RBRRBS_APMode_Connected2R7960PRouter.png

All this was about 30 minutes ago. Just checking now on the RBRs web page, RBS still shows (wired) ethernet connected. Front LED on both are OFF.

I'll let this run for the next day or so and check on it to see if the status changes. 

Message 15 of 17
FURRYe38
Guru

Wired speeds are good though:

WiredSpeedResultsOver900MpbsRBRAPmode2R7960P.png

Message 16 of 17
AndreGr
Aspirant

@dbrb2, thank you for your post, went through absolutely the same issues as described here by you. Currently ended up with Router mode as temporary workaround. Will try to update to the latest FW version posted here (V4.6.7.5) and see how it goes...

My story here: https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi-WiFi-6-AX-and-WiFi-6E-AXE/AP-mode-BUG-RBR750-and-RBS750-do-not...

Message 17 of 17
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 16 replies
  • 5 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7