Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Can't connect Chamberlain MYQ garage opener to Orbi RBR750

ajexpert
Tutor

Can't connect Chamberlain MYQ garage opener to Orbi RBR750

I updgraded my home network to Orbi RBR750 keeping the same SSID and password.  I'm able to connect to all devices, however, myq garage opener refuses to connect.

The firmwire version on orbilogin.com is V4.6.5.14_2.0.54

So far, I've tried this and nothing seems to help:

Unchecked Enable 2.4G and 5G AX mode under Enable AX - This WiFi mode will enable AX features

Modified CTS/RTS Threashold to 1-2347

Unchecked Enable WMM (Wi-Fi multimedia) settings (5GHz a/n/ac/ax)

I keep getting same error everytime:

Missing Network

Looks like there is an issue finding your network.  Check the following and try again.

Your home network Wi-Fi can reach the garage with at least 2 bars

You are using a 2.4 GHz network.

As said before, all other devices in garage I'm able to connect but myq.

Any tips to resolve this issue is greately appreciated

Message 1 of 7

Accepted Solutions
Mikey94025
Hero

The phone app has difficulty because your phone connects to the 5Ghz network with the same SSID, messing up its attempt to connect MyQ to the 2.4Ghz version.  The workaround is to use the alternative way to setup wifi connect (not the app), for example:

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 7

All Replies
Mikey94025
Hero

The phone app has difficulty because your phone connects to the 5Ghz network with the same SSID, messing up its attempt to connect MyQ to the 2.4Ghz version.  The workaround is to use the alternative way to setup wifi connect (not the app), for example:

Message 2 of 7
CrimpOn
Guru

@ajexpert wrote:

I updgraded my home network to Orbi RBR750 keeping the same SSID and password.  I'm able to connect to all devices, however, myq garage opener refuses to connect.

This is truly bizzare. The garage door opener was already connected to WiFi and working correctly.  The WiFi system was switched out for a new system (Orbi RBR750) that has exactly the same SSID/password, and the garage door opener no longer connects?

I replace WiFi routers fairly often, and always use the same SSID/password on the new router, and all of my devices connect automatically.

The Chamberlain app may be poorly written and may not deal well with mesh WiFi when the smartphone is connected at 5G and the opener supports only 2.4G, but there should be no reason to set up the opener from scratch again.

Do I understand correctly that the situation now is that the door opener has been reset and is in setup mode?

Message 3 of 7
ajexpert
Tutor

@CrimpOn Spot on!

Message 4 of 7
ajexpert
Tutor

I happen to see these links.  The main challenge for me to find the old device compatible to 2.4G --

"

You just might need to find a compatible 2.4GHz device to help you connect the 2.4GHz Chamberlain/MyQ.  Just try multiple devices.  Maybe older = better

"

Message 5 of 7
ajexpert
Tutor

Thanks @Mikey94025 

I was able to setup myq garage door with Orbi after investing almost 1 day.

Here is what I did:

1) Find a compatible 2.4G device, it could be old phone or laptop.  Most phones would automatically connect to 5G and even after shutting down the satellites and moving away from router, phone somehow still connects to 5G.

2) You can find the the device and the connection type in orbilogin.com.  Basic -> Attached Devices.

3)  I was able to figure that one of my laptop is connecting to 2.4G network.  So I followed the link and first post from  techdilettante

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi-WiFi-6-AX-and-WiFi-6E-AXE/Connecting-Orbi-RBK753S-AX4200-to-Ch... 

4)  Follow the prompts and first try to Change or update the Wi-Fi settings, if it doesn't work, erase the settings and start again.

5) Once myq is connected to network, follow the instructions to connect to overhead garage opener.

Moral of the story: ditch the myq app for setup if your phone is not able to connect to 2.4G.  Setup via laptop works. 

Thanks much for all help!!

Message 6 of 7
FURRYe38
Guru

Please mark your thread as solved so others will know. 
Be sure to save off a back up configuration to file for safe keeping. Saves time if a reset is needed.
https://kb.netgear.com/000062080/How-do-I-back-up-the-configuration-settings-on-my-Orbi-WiFi-System
Enjoy.

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7