Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Can't connect to my Orbi RBR750

jimh394
Star

Can't connect to my Orbi RBR750

Below is the message I get when on the desktop or laptop. On android phone I can see all 42 of my gadgets (printers/switches/cams, etc...), but I'm met with the message "We can't find your ORBI" and I am unable to perform any tasks.

I noticed that about 2am this morning we lost Wifi for a few minutes and I'm assuming an upgrade to the firmware likely occurred and either a failed reboot took place or the new firmware has a flaw. 

I am reaching out to the community in an effort to avoid a factory reset and reconnecting all 42 of my smart devices.

Tried: rebooting multiple times - 192.168.1.1

Hoping someone has found a way...

This site can’t be reached

www.routerlogin.net refused to connect.

Try:

ERR_CONNECTION_REFUSED
Message 1 of 30

Accepted Solutions
FURRYe38
Guru

Yes, NG is aware of it. 

Try the reset. Some users systems are working, just can't connect to the routers web page or use Orbi app. In these cases, users may need to give some time to NG to get this resolved. It's only Monday. Factory esets were mentioned as working in Reddits as well. 

Forums are for user to user experiences and support. It's up to users to try what others have posted about. There's the Orbi app forum as well that has the more posts. 

Otherwise, users can contact NG support and ask for there help and information. 

https://my.netgear.com/support/contact.aspx

View solution in original post

Message 11 of 30

All Replies
Mikey94025
Hero

@jimh394 wrote:

I am reaching out to the community in an effort to avoid a factory reset and reconnecting all 42 of my smart devices.

Sorry, I don't have an answer for why your RBR's admin website is refusing connections.  Someone else will hopefully have an answer for you.

Note that if you do factory reset, once you set the same wireless settings (e.g., SSID, security option, password) then all your wireless devices will usually reconnect just fine.  The only things you'll lose by factory reset are things like if you manually setup reserved IP addresses for DHCP,.

Message 2 of 30
CrimpOn
Guru

@Mikey94025 wrote:

once you set the same wireless settings (e.g., SSID, security option, password) then all your wireless devices will usually reconnect just fine.  The only things you'll lose by factory reset are things like if you manually setup reserved IP addresses for DHCP,.

This is exactly the problem.  As devices rush to connect, the Orbi will assign them IP addresses from the DHCP pool in the order that they connect.  Any previous IP assignment strategy will be lost.  It is the effort of typing in all those device descriptions, IP assignments, device types, device models, etc. that makes me reluctant to perform a Factory Reset.

When I have my wits about me, I save the configuration to my PC every time I make a change to it.  That way, after a Factory Reset, I can reload the saved configuration, which sets the SSID/password and all devices appear as I want them.

p.s. Most of the time, I forget all about backing up the configuration and am thus not in a "good place".  A total reconfiguration without a saved backup takes me over two hours.

Message 3 of 30
jimh394
Star

Thank you. I'm guessing there isn't a way around the reset, but fortunately everything is working for the moment. I'' give it a few days when I know I'll have the time to devote to worst case scenario, but I'm feeling encouraged by your response.  Thanks, again.  

Message 4 of 30
jimh394
Star

If I get nothing more out of this than a lesson and backing up...LOL

Thanks for the info. I know I'll have some work to do, but I appreciate the affirmation of that fact. Looks like buying the more expensive system doesn't always mean you're getting the best there is!

Message 5 of 30
HDTVDinner
Guide

I am having the exact same issue and it started about an hour ago with no human intervention.

Very strange
Message 6 of 30
skntgear
Tutor

Apparently this is due to a firmware upgrade performed by Netgear.  See https://www.reddit.com/r/orbi/comments/ukmdhw/orbi_providing_wifi_and_connecting_to_internet/?sort=n...

Message 7 of 30
jimh394
Star

I noticed here and in other threads/posts discussing this issue that I'm definitely not alone with this issue and that there seems to be no question that Netgear screwed up!

At exactly 1:11am Eastern Standard Time I lost wifi connection that was reinstated at 1:14am based on my alarm systems log. So far I haven't seen anything from Netgear detailing a fix for the inability to access the router via phone App/PC or laptop (in my case)!

Extreme disappointment in Netgear and their lack of due diligence doesn't cover it! Have yet to do a factory reset in hopes of hearing an alternate resolution to the issue.

Message 8 of 30
FURRYe38
Guru

What happens if you power OFF the RBR, disconnect the RBR from the ISP modem/ONT then power ON the RBR and try to connect to the RBRs web page with HTTP and 192.168.1.1 or orbilogin.com?

This user disconnected the WAN port however I they did a factory reset as well:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi-WiFi-6-AX-and-WiFi-6E-AXE/Cant-connect-to-router-but-router-is...

For Orbi app, some have got the app to work with disabling some of these features on Apple devices:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi-App/NETGEAR-Mobile-Applications-and-Apple-Devices-FAQ/td-p/222...

Message 9 of 30
jimh394
Star

Did the disconnect/reboot/192.168.1.1/etc... a number of times hoping that would work.  Pretty sure with what I'm seeing in the community that RESET is the only thing working to date and my cell is android based.

One member/poster on Reddit who still has support reached out to Netgear and they stated they were aware of the problem and working on it.  Unfortunately Netgear isn't acknowledging the issue or reaching out to us folks with any advice for resolution of the issue. Great customer service! 

BTW, the posts on Reddit for this issue far surpasses anything I'm seeing here in the Netgear Community, so it's pretty pervasive, they screwed up "big time" and have yet to own it.

Message 10 of 30
FURRYe38
Guru

Yes, NG is aware of it. 

Try the reset. Some users systems are working, just can't connect to the routers web page or use Orbi app. In these cases, users may need to give some time to NG to get this resolved. It's only Monday. Factory esets were mentioned as working in Reddits as well. 

Forums are for user to user experiences and support. It's up to users to try what others have posted about. There's the Orbi app forum as well that has the more posts. 

Otherwise, users can contact NG support and ask for there help and information. 

https://my.netgear.com/support/contact.aspx

Message 11 of 30
jimh394
Star

Unfortunately Netgear wants me to pay for the privilege of asking them to fix a problem of their making! In lieu of that, they steer us to the Community. Nice play on their part!

Message 12 of 30
skntgear
Tutor

I don't think a total reset should be considered the accepted solution. Since Netgear pushed the firmware update they should be able to push a fix. Also, most people do not pay for support after the free 90 days.

Message 13 of 30
FURRYe38
Guru

So you have your options, Try a reset, contact NG support or you'll need to wait for NG to fix this. Nothing else we can help with here in the forums. 

Message 14 of 30
jimh394
Star

I hear you and agree. Will be doing a reset on Wednesday.  Much appreciate everyone's feedback and advice. BTW, I will also be blocking auto firmware updates for the future as well as backing up my configuration once I get back to where I was. Love this community!  Thanks again. Jim

Message 15 of 30
FURRYe38
Guru

Trying to help reproduce this no router web page log in problem. I reverted FW back to v.13 on my 750 last nite. Didn't factory reset. Just downgraded. Left it to see if it would update. I found this morning that it updated to v.2 around 1am this morning. I was able to log into the RBRs web page just fine. Even the debug page using MS Edge. Not sure what is happening with AU. 

For anyone seeing this, I recommend you manually download FW and apply updates. Then factory reset and setup from scratch. 

Seem to work better for some:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi-WiFi-6-AX-and-WiFi-6E-AXE/New-RBR750-RBS750-Firmware-Version-4...

Message 16 of 30
jimh394
Star

I performed a factory reset today and while somewhat confusing during certain procedures, it worked. I have 42 connected devices and all were logged on at the end of the procedure. Since I never backed up my configuration, I did have to go in and redo some of the manual changes I'd made in the past and expect to do some more of that as I expect anything I've missed will eventually make itself known.

Bottom line, when you buy a system commanding this kind of money, you should expect the absolute best support, service and care when they push updates down your throat. My next project will be to stop automatic updates. In the future, I will choose when they occur and will not allow them to perform a task that shuts down my wifi for their convenience. One more incidence like this one and I won't be using Netgear.

Nuff said. 

Message 17 of 30
FURRYe38
Guru

Glad you got it working. Be sure to save off a back up configuration to file for safe keeping. Saves time if a reset is needed.
https://kb.netgear.com/000062080/How-do-I-back-up-the-configuration-settings-on-my-Orbi-WiFi-System
Enjoy. 📡

Message 18 of 30
jimh394
Star

Did the backup, and thanks for the heads up on that.  

Thanks also to all who chimed in. Greatly appreciated.  Jim

Message 19 of 30
bhanna69
Aspirant

I had this same problem and after trying several things on here, directly connecting to the router right after reset allowed me to connect to orbilogin.com. Unfortunately, I changed to router firmware to 4.6.5.14 before changing the satellite firmware and now I can't get it to connect to the router.  I tried looking for "bad" firmware so I could go back and possibly get it updated in the correct order, but haven't had any luck finding it.  Any suggestions on how to change the satellite firmware since the router doesn't recognize it? I've tried resetting the satellite several times, placing them very close together, and connecting via ethernet, but still no success. Any help would be GREATLY appreciated.

Message 20 of 30
Nava1212
Aspirant

So I tried to reset my Orbi today but was not able to establish a connection with my modem. Did anyone have that issue ? It’s a modem/router and it works fine but it does not have the best connections. When it was connected to my orbi router, I had flawless internet. But now, the Orbi router won’t even connect after a hard reset.
Message 21 of 30
FURRYe38
Guru

When you factory reset the RBR, power OFF the ISP modem for 30 seconds then back ON. 

@Nava1212 wrote:
So I tried to reset my Orbi today but was not able to establish a connection with my modem. Did anyone have that issue ? It’s a modem/router and it works fine but it does not have the best connections. When it was connected to my orbi router, I had flawless internet. But now, the Orbi router won’t even connect after a hard reset.

Message 22 of 30
FURRYe38
Guru

What FW was loaded on the RBR and RBS? 

Can you connect the RBS to the back of the RBR and see if it gets an IP address from the RBR? If it does you could downgrade the RBS by logging into the RBS web page. If you can get this far. 

@bhanna69 wrote:

I had this same problem and after trying several things on here, directly connecting to the router right after reset allowed me to connect to orbilogin.com. Unfortunately, I changed to router firmware to 4.6.5.14 before changing the satellite firmware and now I can't get it to connect to the router.  I tried looking for "bad" firmware so I could go back and possibly get it updated in the correct order, but haven't had any luck finding it.  Any suggestions on how to change the satellite firmware since the router doesn't recognize it? I've tried resetting the satellite several times, placing them very close together, and connecting via ethernet, but still no success. Any help would be GREATLY appreciated.

Message 23 of 30
skntgear
Tutor

It looks like Netgear pushed a new firmware that fixed the broken one. Glad I waited to reset my router.  I now have version V4.6.8.2_2.1.9 and am able to connect to it again.

Message 24 of 30
FURRYe38
Guru

Glad you got it working. Be sure to save off a back up configuration to file for safe keeping. Saves time if a reset is needed.
https://kb.netgear.com/000062080/How-do-I-back-up-the-configuration-settings-on-my-Orbi-WiFi-System
Enjoy. 📡

@skntgear wrote:

It looks like Netgear pushed a new firmware that fixed the broken one. Glad I waited to reset my router.  I now have version V4.6.8.2_2.1.9 and am able to connect to it again.

Message 25 of 30
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 29 replies
  • 24 kudos
  • 9 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7