Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Cannot connect LG TV to orbi RBR 850 wi-fi

grady7
Aspirant

Cannot connect LG TV to orbi RBR 850 wi-fi

Hi,

I just bought a new LG 4K TV, and it will not connect to my orbi network (AX 6000).

I have googled like crazy.  I called LG - was able to connect the TV to a phone hotspot.  I checked the NG community, and I've tried a bunch of the setting change suggestions - nothing.  

Firmware = V3.2.16.22_1.4.9

The orbi doesn't show that any connection was attempted, and the TV shows my orbi wifi network name with a strong signal.  My orbi is not blocking anything.  I also confirmed the TV will connect fine using an ethernet cable.  I just can't run an ethernet cable to the location where the TV is.

Any ideas?

Message 1 of 27

Accepted Solutions
grady7
Aspirant

luckily best buy will take it back no questions asked.  the samsung is only $40 more - and a better TV - so I think that's the safe route.

I was just trying to be cheap, since an outdoor TV in Florida is a 2-year bet if you're lucky.

Regardless, you guys have been incredibly helpful.  I'm picking up the other TV later today, so I'll let you know the end of the saga.

View solution in original post

Message 23 of 27

All Replies
FURRYe38
Guru

Try disabling AX mode on either frequency just to see if the TV will connect. 
Ensure the TVs firmware is updated. 

Try setting CTS values to 2347 under Advanced Tab/Advanced Settings/Wireless Settings

Message 2 of 27
grady7
Aspirant

completed all 3 items, same result.

should i revert those settings?

Message 3 of 27
FURRYe38
Guru

Yes. Lets try this quick test to see if the TV will even connect at all. Just a quick test. Set the RBRs wifi security setting to OPEN or Disabled. See if the TV will connect then. After checking this, go back in and re-enabled WPA2 and AES. 

Let us know the results. 

Message 4 of 27
grady7
Aspirant

okay - that's odd.

it connected to the orbi network for the first time, but it wouldn't stay connected.  It seemed like the connection was unstable, but I have other wi-fi enabled devices right near there.

I reenabled the WPA2 / AES

Message 5 of 27
FURRYe38
Guru

Did the TV reconnect after you set back WPA2 and AES. 

Message 6 of 27
grady7
Aspirant

no - back to the old behavior.

Message 7 of 27
FURRYe38
Guru

Sounds like a possible incompatibility issue with the TV and the Orbi system...

Message 8 of 27
grady7
Aspirant

the wife wants to get a different brand of TV.  I guess that's the next step.

Thanks for trying.

Message 9 of 27
FURRYe38
Guru

Smiley Wink

Message 10 of 27
Mstrbig
Master

This is a common issue with LG TVs.

You have to reboot the TV (or soft boot if you have that feature.

Another way you can do it is unplug your TV from the wall for 60 seconds.

If that does not work, unplug your router for 60 seconds, then plug back in and make sure it is back up and running before attempting to setup the TV WIFI.

If all else fails, follow the directions to reset to initial settings, which is a factory reset. You will lose all your settings and the TV will be as it came out of he box.

Message 11 of 27
grady7
Aspirant

Thanks again.

Tried that sequence - including thefactor reset - same result.

Message 12 of 27
FURRYe38
Guru

IF you go with a different brand of TV, make sure you get a TV with both wireless and wired connetions. Smiley Wink

Message 13 of 27
Mstrbig
Master

@grady7 wrote:

Thanks again.

Tried that sequence - including thefactor reset - same result.

If it's the only device you are having issues with, it may be the TV having a WIFI problem. 

Is it possible to run a temporary network cable to see if it makes a connection?

Also you could try setting up the TV network with a static IP address and DNS server. Depending on your setup it would be something like:

ip address: 192.168.1.75

subnet: 255.255.255.0

gateway: 192.168.1.1

DNS: 192.168.1.1

Message 14 of 27
grady7
Aspirant

this one has an ethernet port. -and it worked fine.

my challenge is I don't have the ability to run a cable to the TV location.

Message 15 of 27
grady7
Aspirant

I was able to get the TV to connect to a phone hotspot, and everything worked great.

It would connect when I took all of the security protocols off the orbi, but it wouldn't stay connected even then.

I'll try the static IP option today to see how that plays.  The wife is looking at bestbuy now, so my time to fix is running short.  Lol.

Message 16 of 27
FURRYe38
Guru

Ok, that tells me that the wifi radio on the TV is problaby the problem. 

1 thing you can do with this TV or next if the next TVs wifi doesn't work AND has a ethernet jack, you can install a wireless media bridge, connect his bridge up to the wifi of orbi, then this bridge will or should have ethernet ports in back. Connect up the TV to the LAN port in back of the wireless bridge and you'll get connected to the TV. I happen to have tired this a while back and it works. Kind of like upgrading the wifi radio on the TV to something that works. 

Another suggestion would be to install a PowerLIne set between the RBR and this TVs location and connect the TV thru Power LIne adapters. 

Message 17 of 27
grady7
Aspirant

funny you mention that.

I actually had a powerline access point that I retired when i went to the orbi, and I did exactly as you said, and it worked perfectly.

The problem with that is this is my back patio TV (hence low end LG).  I have limited space to hide anything out there, so the wife was not in favor of my ingenuity.

I just ordered a replacement samsung.  Hoping it works, but if it doesn't, I'm going to go the powerline route and not tell her.

Message 18 of 27
FURRYe38
Guru

Smiley Very Happy

Message 19 of 27
Mstrbig
Master

@grady7 wrote:

I was able to get the TV to connect to a phone hotspot, and everything worked great.

It would connect when I took all of the security protocols off the orbi, but it wouldn't stay connected even then.

I'll try the static IP option today to see how that plays.  The wife is looking at bestbuy now, so my time to fix is running short.  Lol.

How far is the TV from the router or satellite?

What security protocols are you referring to?

I feel it is a TV issue, as I have 6 TVs, Samsung, LG, Vizio, all 4k, hooked up wirelessly with no issues. The only issue I have is the Vizio and LG have to be reconfigured every time I reboot the router or a power glitch happens. Both manufacturers admitt it is a bug in their systems. It's no big deal as it only takes 5 minutes, but still annoying.

Message 20 of 27
grady7
Aspirant

The TV is basically beween the router and the satellite.  There is an xfinity wireless box right next to the TV location, and it's hooked to the orbi with no issue at all.

As per FURRYe38's recommendation, I turned off the WPA2 / AES setting and went to "none".  This is when the TV would connect, but it just wouldn't stay connected.

I talked to LG, and they admitted it was an issue, but they thought it was an issue with the MAC filter.  I confirmed I have no MAC blocking in place at all.

Message 21 of 27
FURRYe38
Guru

Any chance LG can fix the TV for you. Seems to be a bad wifi module. 

Message 22 of 27
grady7
Aspirant

luckily best buy will take it back no questions asked.  the samsung is only $40 more - and a better TV - so I think that's the safe route.

I was just trying to be cheap, since an outdoor TV in Florida is a 2-year bet if you're lucky.

Regardless, you guys have been incredibly helpful.  I'm picking up the other TV later today, so I'll let you know the end of the saga.

Message 23 of 27
FURRYe38
Guru

Smiley Wink

Message 24 of 27
Mstrbig
Master

I know what you mean about Florida. I'm in Tampa Bay. TVs don't last long on porches. 

Good luck.

Message 25 of 27
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 26 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7