Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Cannot download apps from Apple App Store on iPhone or Apple TV

markups
Aspirant

Cannot download apps from Apple App Store on iPhone or Apple TV

Cannot download apps from the Apple App store on iPhones or Apple TVs.  If I connect the Apple TV directly to my cable modem everything works fine.  The minute I reconnect the router to the cable modem and my Apple TV or iphone to the router the problem returns.  This issue is the same whether wireless or hard wired to the router.  This is my router's information.

Hardware Version

RBR850

Firmware Version

V4.6.3.16_2.0.51

GUI Language Version

V3.0.1.2_2.1.30.3

Operation Mode

Router

Current Firmware Version.          V4.6.3.16

I have tried changing what I can but no luck.  Unless anyone can help, my next step is to go out and buy a different brand of mesh system.

Thanks in advance for any help

Message 1 of 10
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Cannot download apps from Apple App Store on iPhone or Apple TV

What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too? Built in wifi router here? If so, This would be a double NAT (two router) condition which isn't recommended. https://kb.netgear.com/30186/What-is-Double-NAT
https://kb.netgear.com/30187/How-to-fix-issues-with-Double-NAT
Couple of options,
1. Configure the modem for transparent bridge or modem only mode. Then use the Orbi router in router mode. You'll need to contact the ISP for help and information in regards to the modem being bridged correctly.
2. If you can't bridge the modem, disable ALL wifi radios on the modem, configure the modems DMZ/ExposedHost or IP Pass-Through for the IP address the Orbi router gets from the modem. Then you can use the Orbi router in Router mode.
3. Or disable all wifi radios on the modem and connect the Orbi router to the modem, configure AP mode on the Orbi router. https://kb.netgear.com/31218/How-do-I-configure-my-Orbi-router-to-act-as-an-access-point and https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H7LOcJ8GdDo&app=desktop 

Message 2 of 10
markups
Aspirant

Hi,

Thank you for responding.

I'm sorry I wasn't completely clear in my description and omitted the cable modem information.  

The modem is Arris SB6190.  It has no WIFI capability and only one ethernet port to connect to the router or another device so the double NAT is not an issue.  

I only started experiencing this issue about 3 weeks ago.  Now I cannot download apps from the Apple App store on iPhones or Apple TVs.  I can however get into the app store to see available apps.

This only happens with iPhones and Apple TVs.  If I plug the Apple TV directly into the Arris cable modem with an ethernet cable everything works fine.  When I reintroduce the Orbi RBR850 router the problem returns.  The type of connection the device makes to the router (WIFI or copper) makes no difference.

I hope you have some ideas.

Thank you in advance

Message 3 of 10
FURRYe38
Guru

Is Armor or Smart Parental controls enabled on the RBR? 

Message 4 of 10
markups
Aspirant

Armor is enabled but no parental controls.  It was enabled before the problem started.

@FURRYe38 wrote:

Is Armor or Smart Parental controls enabled on the RBR? 

Message 5 of 10
FURRYe38
Guru

Try disabling Armor and see...

Message 6 of 10
markups
Aspirant

Disabled Armor and restarted both the Router and Satellite.  Still have the problem

@FURRYe38 wrote:

Try disabling Armor and see...

Message 7 of 10
markups
Aspirant

I'm about ready to ditch these and buy something else.

Message 8 of 10
CrimpOn
Guru

It could be that the AppleTV and the iPhone have different issues. (or not)

There are loads of articles on the web about iPhones not being able to download apps, such as this one:

https://www.lifewire.com/iphone-wont-download-apps-fix-4587105 

Is it correct that other functions on the AppleTV and iPhone operate correctly? (web browsing, watching TV, email, etc.)

Message 9 of 10
FURRYe38
Guru

Something to try, navigate to Advanced Tab/Setup/WAN Setup. Input either the iphones or ATVs IP address into the dmz here and see if either gets services from the app store. Check mark the box next to DMZ to enable it and be sure to apply the setting. 

Remove the check mark after testing to disable the DMZ. 

I've had iphones and a pad connected to my both Orbi 7 and 8 series, no issues getting to the app store. Though I don't have the SB6190 modem. (This model modem is known to have issues.)

Might do a full reset of the RBR. Turn OFF the RBS. Set up the RBR from scratch. While the RBR resets, power OFF the ISP Modem for 1 minute then back ON. Walk thru the setup wizard. Skip adding the RBS for now. Don't enable Armor. Just setup SSID name and and password. Try the app store again...

I know currently there is some internet outages being reported on the eastern side of the USA as of today. Not sure if this effects Apple or not. 

@markups wrote:

I'm about ready to ditch these and buy something else.

Message 10 of 10
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7