Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Cannot sync Orbi RBS50Y outdoor satellite to new Orbi RBR850 router.

FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Cannot sync Orbi RBS50Y outdoor satellite to new Orbi RBR850 router.

Lets us know if it works for you.

Message 26 of 39
Ajl766
Aspirant

I wanted to make sure it was working prior to purchase, so I still need to purchase the unit.  

You mentioned several restrictions... I am running in AP Mode on the router, will this make a difference?

Message 27 of 39
FURRYe38
Guru

No. It should work in AP or router mode. 

Message 28 of 39
ttnoewoc
Star

@skyward1 

Exact same experience I had. They said a firmware fix was coming. I kept mine for over a month waiting, and finally returned it.

Model: RBS50Y|High Performance AC3000 Outdoor WiFi Mesh Extender and Add-on Satellite
Message 29 of 39
skyward1
Apprentice

Yeah, it's a crock.
Message 30 of 39
FURRYe38
Guru

This seems to work.

@prrrtpieptoet wrote:

For everybody out there trying to sync an RBS50Y satellite and an RBR850 router:

After many attempts and some contact with NG Support, I managed to get this working, As it turns out, there are a couple of very important thing to keep in mind (at least valid at the time of writing):

• NG support confirmed RBS50Y and RBR850 can sync in Extender mode only. Orbi mesh mode is currently not supported.
  • AX mode on the RBR850 does not have to be disabled.
  • Extender mode only works on the main wireless network, not on the RBR850's guest network.
  • 5GHz wifi only works in Indoor mode (makes sense to me as 5GHz is tri-band, just like indoor mode is. Outdoor mode is dual-band, but I don't know why these modes are called Indoor and Outdoor, radio frequency legislation maybe?).
  • 5GHz between RBR850 and RBS50Y only works when going through the RBS50Y's Extender setup wizard. Just enabling 5GHz on the RBS50Y after setup is not enough (it will make the RBS50Y broadcast 5GHz but there is no 5GHz connection with the RBR850).
  • RBS50Y FW 1.0.0.46  / RBR850 FW 3.2.15.25.

The setup sequence that did it for me:

1. Boot RBS50Y in Extender mode: switch off RBS50Y with the power button, then press and hold the sync button while pressing and releasing the power button. Wait until led flashes blue and white before releasing the sync button. If the led is now blinking white, repeat this sequence. If the led is now blinking blue, proceed.
  2. Wait until the led is solid blue.
  3. Find wireless network NETGEAR_EXT and connect to it. If the network is not visible, press and release the RBS50Y's sync button.
  4. In a browser, go to mywifiext.local
  5. Start setup and when asked, choose manual setup for connecting the RBS50Y and the RBR850.
  6. Update RBS50Y's firmware if applicable (see menu on left).
  7. Enable 5GHz wifi (see menu left).
  8. Click the top item on the menu left. Start wizard to sync RBS50Y and RBR850.
  9. After setup, see if RBS50Y is connected as a device to RBR850 (it's not a satellite). If it is, copy it's ip address and navigate to it in a browser to check it's status.

Hope this helps anyone.

Grtz!

Message 31 of 39
skyward1
Apprentice

I disagree with this workaround. If it doesn't mesh, it's not worth the hassle, headache, cost, and valuable time. I would think that most of us want something to work out of the box, without playing around with it all the time. We all have lives to live away from this mess. I recommend that you do NOT purchase this product, return it if you can, and move on with your lives. Send a clear message to NG that we are not their problem fixers.
Message 32 of 39
FURRYe38
Guru

Thats fine, however for some it maybe all they want. Will let then decide. 

I'm sure NG will get it fixed.

Good luck. 

Message 33 of 39
skyward1
Apprentice

Good luck? Good luck with what?
Message 34 of 39

Will do. I am out of town at the moment and will let you know the results when I have a chance at the end of the month. Thanks for the reply Blanca.

Message 35 of 39

Apologies for the delayed response. I have indeed tried the RESET button. I had not tried the RESET and SYNC buttons simultaneously though. I tried that, and although I also got the Amber LED to light nothing seems to have changed. Somewhere in the button combos I also got a Green LED light at some point, which I have never seen! Regardless, I am unable to get either of my RBS50Y's to go into Extender Mode. I must conclude that the "Disble SYNC Button" option that is auto enabled is the issue. Unfortuantely, I neglected to "reable" the sync button before I sold my old RBK50 system. I hate to think I have essentially "bricked" to RBS50Y's due to this, but I don't know what else to try.

What is the "official" Factory reset procedure for an RBS50Y? Let me make sure I have done the Resets properly.

Thanks for everyones help.

Message 36 of 39
FURRYe38
Guru

Try a 15 second press on the reset button. 

Not sure if the sync button works on RBSY when in extender mode. There maybe a web page setup wizard for the RBSY when in extender mode that you need to access to get it connected since extender mode I believe works similar to NG EX model extenders. These just have a setup wizrad page that users walk thru to get the EX connected to a wifi source. Possible same is needed for the RBSY in extender mode. 

You may need to contact NG support and have them help you get the RBSY in extender mode correctly and setup.

@Blanca_O 

Message 37 of 39

Thanks for the response Furry. Just a refresher, I can't get either of my RBYS's INTO extender mode. I was trying a full reset because they are stuck in a synced mode with my old RBK53 system. The RBSY's disable their SYNC button once they are synced with a base. Therefore I haven't been able to get either RBYS to get into extender mode since their SYNC buttons are disabled. I was hoping that a full reset might clear things up, it does nothing. The only way I am aware you can re-enable the SYNC button on the RBYS's is within the ORBI APP. Of course, the RBYS' dont show in the ORBI APP anymore because I have since sold the RBK53 system they were synced with. I currently have two very exspensive outdoor satellites that are bricks. 

Message 38 of 39
FURRYe38
Guru

I recommend you make contact wtih NG support and have them help you with this. They should be able to get those working in extender mode.

@Blanca_O 

@Christian_R 

Message 39 of 39
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 38 replies
  • 19 kudos
  • 10 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7