Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Cant connect to router but router is still working.

Cant connect to router but router is still working.

I can't connect to my router through 10.0.0.1 or the orbi app. The router appears to be working perfectly fine as regard to devices connecting to it for internet. I have done a couple of power cycles, but that did no good. 

Any help connecting to the router would be appreciated. 

Message 1 of 55

Accepted Solutions

I have the RBR753 and the reset worked.

It sounds like you cannot change anyting when you do the reset, skip the satellites and any customizations. I also used my desktop that was hardwired to the router to do the setup. 

View solution in original post

Message 26 of 55

All Replies
Jroach
Luminary

I am also experiencing this symptom.  Internet woks but can't access admin via URL or Orbi app on IOS.  Power cycle, different browsers, nothing.

Were our orbi's hacked?  

Message 2 of 55
Jroach
Luminary

Also tried wired and wireless connections.

Message 3 of 55

If this is a net netgear issue I hope others chime in soon.
Message 4 of 55
Jroach
Luminary

I did see a tip to make certain that you are not on the GUEST network.  I don't have GUEST setup so not the issue for me but thought I'd pass it along

Message 5 of 55
Ryrx
Tutor

Same here, trying to give access to a new device and cannot access the Orbi router.  Tried power cycling the router.  Have tried both wireless connections and wired connections.

The browser states:  XXX.XXX.XXX.XXX refused to connect.  ERR_CONNECTION_REFUSED  (Using an wired ethernet connection)

The app states: We can't find your Orbi.  You may be connected to another router or access point. (using wireless connection).

All of the devices still have internet access, so the router is still working, just won't allow connections to the controls.

Message 6 of 55

I have done a quick reddit search and this seems to be an issue that popped up after a recent firmware update. Only solution I saw was to reset the modem.... if anyone else finds a better solution please let me know.
Message 7 of 55
Jroach
Luminary

I reset the modem and still have the issue.  

Message 8 of 55
FURRYe38
Guru

Did you reset the router and setup from scratch with a wried PC and web browser connected at 192.168.1.1?

What  Orbi model  system do you have? 

FW version? 

Was FW recently updated? 

Message 9 of 55
Jroach
Luminary

Furry, it’s an 850 and I have not done a factory reset. Trying to avoid the brut force method as it often works but problem comes back later. Hopefully Somebody in the community has seen this and found a solution. I don’t recall updating the FW, does Orbi do that in its own without intervention?
Message 10 of 55

these are my notes after contacting support. Of course because i bought this 4 months ago pointing me to the support articles are the best they can do. I just went through the first and it appears i am back up with my factory restored 😢 orbi. I copied the articles and the links to them in here to help others....

Follow article  1

Then follow article 2

What to watch out for in article 1

Do not customize your wifi name and do not firmware update while set up

Do not customize satellites "skip them" both times

Sign in with username and password

If email asked to sign in with email, DO NOT

Creating new username and password is only customization

Article 1: https://kb.netgear.com/31486/How-do-I-reset-my-Orbi-system-to-factory-default-settings

Resetting your Orbi WiFi system to factory default settings erases personalized settings such as your network name (SSID) and password.

To reset your Orbi WiFi system to factory default settings:

1. Make sure your Orbi device is powered on.
  2. Using a paper clip or similar object, press and hold the Reset button until the Power LED on your Orbi device blinks amber. 
    Note: If you are resetting a wall-plug satellite, the ring LED blinks amber.
    Your Orbi device is reset.

YouTube: Setting your Orbi Wi-Fi system to factory default.

roberthleeii_0-1652037520411.png

Last Updated:10/06/2021 | Article ID: 31486

From <https://kb.netgear.com/31486/How-do-I-reset-my-Orbi-system-to-factory-default-settings>

Article 2: https://kb.netgear.com/31017/How-do-I-set-up-my-Orbi-WiFi-System

An Orbi WiFi System is made up of an Orbi router and one or more Orbi satellites.

To set up your Orbi WiFi System:

1. Download the Orbi app from orbi-app.com and launch it.
    The first time you launch the app, you are asked to create a NETGEAR account. Your NETGEAR account allows you to register NETGEAR products, post to the NETGEAR Community, and receive email support and product offers.
  2. After you log in, tap GET STARTED!
  3. Tap ENABLE CAMERA AND SCAN, scan the QR code on your Orbi router's sleeve or base, and tap CONTINUE.
  4. Select your product and the number of Orbi satellites in your system, then tap CONTINUE.
  5. Restart your modem:
  6. Locate your modem and tap CONTINUE.
  7. Unplug your modem and tap CONTINUE.
  8. Plug your modem back in and wait for its lights to stabilize, then tap CONTINUE.
  9. Connect your Orbi WiFi System:
  10. Connect your Orbi router's yellow Internet port to your modem's Ethernet port using the included Ethernet cable.
  11. Plug your Orbi router into an outlet using the supplied power adapter.
  12. Wait for your Orbi router to start up.
    Your Orbi router's ring LED pulses white during start up and then becomes solid white. This can take up to five minutes.
  13. Plug your Orbi satellites into outlets in the same room as your Orbi router using the supplied power adapters.
  14. Return to the Orbi app and tap CONTINUE.
    A progress bar displays while your Orbi router is starting up.
  15. Connect to your Orbi router's default WiFi:
  16. Open the WiFi settings on your mobile device.
  17. Connect to your Orbi's default WiFi SSID, which is found on your Orbi router's product label.
  18. After your mobile device successfully connects to your Orbi router's default WiFi SSID, return to the Orbi app and tap CONTINUE.
  19. Tap CONTINUE.
    The Personalize your settings page displays.
  20. Tap NEXT.
    The Create WiFi network page displays.
  21. Choose your Orbi WiFi network name (SSID) and password, then tap NEXT.
    You use these credentials to connect devices to your Orbi WiFi network.
    The Set up Admin Login page displays.
  22. Choose your Orbi router's admin password then tap NEXT.
    You use these credentials to access your Orbi router settings.
    We recommend choosing a password that is different from your Orbi WiFi password.
  23. Tap NEXT.
    The Set Up Security Questions page displays.
  24. Select and answer two security questions from the drop-down menus and tap NEXT.
    You use these questions to recover your Orbi router admin credentials if you forget them.
  25. If prompted by your mobile device, allow suggested WiFi networks.
    Your mobile device connects to your new Orbi WiFi network.
  26. Tap CONTINUE.
    Your Orbi router checks to see if your firmware is up to date.
    This can take up to 5 minutes.
  27. If new firmware is found, tap UPDATE to install it.
  28. Tap NEXT.
  29. Place your Orbi satellites in their permanent locations.
    For more information on where to place your Orbi satellites, see Where should I place my Orbi satellite?.

Your Orbi WiFi System is now set up.

The following video demonstrates these steps:

Youtube: How to Set Up Orbi With the Orbi App | NETGEAR

roberthleeii_1-1652037520412.png

Last Updated:06/21/2021 | Article ID: 31017

From <https://kb.netgear.com/31017/How-do-I-set-up-my-Orbi-WiFi-System>

Message 11 of 55
Jroach
Luminary

Robert, thanks for posting the steps!

Does anybody know if Orbi updates its firmware automatically?  

Message 12 of 55

I think so. I am going to look through the settings and turn this off.
Message 13 of 55
Jroach
Luminary

Robert, good idea. I like having security updates on auto pilot but net gear is known for buggy firmware:(
Message 14 of 55
dbnorton
Tutor

This really sucks!!  I would love to know how many others are having the same issue!!  I would love to know how long I haven't been able to access my admin page of my router!!  I am really not wanting to do a factory reset on my router but It looks like I may have too! I have a lot of static IP's that I will have to set back up!

Message 15 of 55

Dbnorton, I have several devices and applications dependent on static IPs. I had to go through and change all of my references for all the ips that changed and make static/reserved again.
I was surprised that a lot of my devices did come back back with the same IPs.
Message 16 of 55
Jroach
Luminary

Agree. Netgear seem to think that this is acceptable.
Message 17 of 55
xxcasp3rxx
Tutor

I'm also having this issue. I've gone through the factory reset and it has changed nothing except for the fact now my wifi settings are gone and my wireless devices are offline. I've removed the app from the phone and tried settings it up from scratch that way and it still refuses to detect that the orbi even exists to be able to run through the initial setup..... connect it to my desktop via hardline, still can't reach 192.168.1.1 or 10.0.0.1.

I now have a very expensive unconfigurable, unmanageable wireless router, thanks netgear!

Message 18 of 55
xxcasp3rxx
Tutor

*update* After doing the factory reset the third time through out of desperation I was finally able to reach the management page 192.168.1.1 from my desktop over ethernet. I stepped through the initial setup process through the browser opting not to use my phone via the app. I skipped the satellite setup at first as well and came back and added that later. As of right now I've got it all back up and working after the factory reset.

There are countless reports of this exact issue on the Orbi reddit page. consensus appears to be this came from a forced firmware update and what most people are seeing is that the http ports that should be listening on 192.168.1.1 are blocked.

Also if your like me and want to just turn off the auto firmware update B.S. After you've fixed this. the disappointing news is that it's not as easy as just checking a box somewhere in the U.I. to stop it. You apparently have to enable telnet access to the router and change it's value in the router configuration to a 0.

Message 19 of 55
firefhtr
Aspirant

I am in the same situation, I have rebooted several times, but that didnt do anything.  If I have to do a factory reset, I will purchase an similar ASUS and dump the orbi.  I put a lot of work in setting up this network that is part of my lab, not happy about rebuilding it.

Ant

Message 20 of 55
Jroach
Luminary

I've read articles about the ASUS that are favorable.  I might look into this as well.

You would think if Netgear was the one that clobbered the FW that they would let their users know and publish a fix or process.

Message 21 of 55
firefhtr
Aspirant

Yeah, I just spoke with their support, they want me to pay to extend my warranty on a less than 1yr product to fix it.  I asked if they where going to perform a factory reset, they said 'if it needs it'.  I can do that for free. 

Maybe I will try the factory reset, I have my old router for backup.

Message 22 of 55
FURRYe38
Guru

What Orbi models do you all have? 

NG is aware of users having problems with Orbi AX systems and orbi app having problems over this past weekend. 

Any of your systems recently updated? 

What version of FW if you get this information.

Some users have done a factory reset on the RBR and setup from scratch using a wired PC and web browser connecting with HTTP and 192.168.1.1 or orbilogin.com. If you do this, disconnect the RBR from the ISP modem/ONT temporarily to see if you can get the setup wizard started on the RBR in a web browser. 

Message 23 of 55
xxcasp3rxx
Tutor

I was using the RBR850 AX6000 model.

Other then a firmware update that I manually checked for and ran 6 months ago I did not recently run any updates myself, and had no problems accessing the login page in those 6 months.
I can check the FW version it's currently running after the factory reset when I get home tonight but was unable to get into the router while it was locking me out to see.

As you stated I factory reset mine twice with no success, I had success on the third time around and I think I may have left the WAN connection unplugged at that point. Which is where I was finally able to reach the login page and run through the setup again.

Message 24 of 55
FURRYe38
Guru

Thanks for letting us know that worked for you. 

@xxcasp3rxx wrote:

I was using the RBR850 AX6000 model.

Other then a firmware update that I manually checked for and ran 6 months ago I did not recently run any updates myself, and had no problems accessing the login page in those 6 months.
I can check the FW version it's currently running after the factory reset when I get home tonight but was unable to get into the router while it was locking me out to see.

As you stated I factory reset mine twice with no success, I had success on the third time around and I think I may have left the WAN connection unplugged at that point. Which is where I was finally able to reach the login page and run through the setup again.

Message 25 of 55
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7