Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Cant connect to router but router is still working.

I have the RBR753 and the reset worked.

It sounds like you cannot change anyting when you do the reset, skip the satellites and any customizations. I also used my desktop that was hardwired to the router to do the setup. 

Message 26 of 55
FURRYe38
Guru

Glad that worked. I agree that users should have to resort to this. Don't know what is causing it. All we can do is try the reset and setup from scratch. 

Besure to save off a new backup config to file once your system is setup. I would do a back up to file before enabling any additional features like Armor, SPC or Traffic meter. 

@roberthleeii wrote:

I have the RBR753 and the reset worked.

It sounds like you cannot change anyting when you do the reset, skip the satellites and any customizations. I also used my desktop that was hardwired to the router to do the setup. 

Message 27 of 55
Ryrx
Tutor

I may have missed this reading through all the various posts here and other places, but before I start the factory reset path I'd like to know if anyone can answer these questions:

1)  Assuming the factory reset worked, what firmware version is now running on your router?  Did it update to the most recent version that is causing the issue (we think) or is it an older firmware version?  (Yes, I know the factory reset would return it to an older version, just not sure how much it would update as the setup progressed).

2)  If it reset and is running correctly using older firmware, has anyone had the new firmware push to their router a second time and cause the issue to return?

3)  If the only issue a person is experiencing is a loss of the ability to communicate with the router for settings and such, using either the app or direct connection, is there a concern for allowing the router/satellites to continue to provide network service?  What's the thought on the security of the info going through the router?

I'm not really concerned about Q3, to be honest, but it is a possible concern.  But I would like to know about Q1 and Q2 before I spend a few hours redoing everything just to have the firmware update return and put the router right back where it is.

Thanks for any info.

Message 28 of 55
xxcasp3rxx
Tutor

"[Initialized, firmware version: V4.6.8.2_2.1.9] Monday, May 09,2022 00:37:38"

that is the start of the log on my router at 12:37 am this morning after I was successful in the third factory reset after leaving the WAN disconnected.

V4.6.8.2 is the latest release that was put out on 04/27/2022. So no doing the factory reset does not appear to revert firmware updates.

This was auto pushed to the routers as there appears to be no option in the web GUI to disable auto updates of the firmware. The only way I've seen to disable those requires you to enable telnet and hard change it there through configuration values. (This push appears to have happened somewhere over the course of Saturday/Sunday as this is when people noticed their routers restarting. and the mass complaints of this started pouring in)

Prior to this auto push this was already a known issues as you can see the release documented on reddit here.

https://www.reddit.com/r/orbi/comments/udbpy5/new_rbr850_rbs850_firmware_version_4682_released/

In the first few posts of this release you can see that people who willing installed this FW update were already experiencing the same issues of becoming unable to reach the management page. How or why this was forcefully pushed with that kind of feed back is beyond me........

Message 29 of 55
what_the_deuce
Initiate

I have the same problem. Cannot access management page or access parental control either. Orbi app isn't working either.

I'm NOT about to reset the router and spend hours setting it up again.

Netgear... get your house in order and fix this. Otherwise, I'm returning this to Costco. I'd rather spend time setting up a new system.
Message 30 of 55
FURRYe38
Guru

You'll need to factory reset and setup from scratch on the RBR to gain access. 

Its recommended to have a backup config saved to file in these cases where a Factory Reset IS needed.

Message 31 of 55
FarmerBob1
Luminary

From having this same issue the last update I did, I:

1. Factory Reset all three of my units;
  2. Power Cycled them;
  3. Pin-Hole Reset them;
  4. Went into the RBR when they all came back up, using 192.168.1.1. Can't use the Mobile App since I have a Tagged VLAN PPPOE Login to my Fiber provider;
  5. Updated the Firmware on all three;
  6. Pin-Hole Reset all three units;
  7. Unplugged the two Satellites off after they came back from the reset;
  8. Manually set up the RBR completely (I've done it so much that I have it all memorized);
  9. After the RBR was up and running to the Internet;
  10. Connected the Satellites and made sure they connected and the RBR saw them;
  11. Sat back and had a beer while I waited for all the clients to jump on . . . ;
  12. The next day I went into the RBR and checked that all was well;
  13. Then did my speed tests and whatnot;
  14. Looked through to see what was attached or not, fixed any of that;
  15. Waited for any screams when someone tried to do or watch something and it didn't work.
  16. Hid.

I've been dealing with OEM and OpenSource FWs on all kinds of devices: Routers, Switches, TVs, STBs, Computers, Blu-Ray Players, AppleTVs, Amazon Firesticks, Cars . . . for decades and have found that if you put the time and attention into it in the beginning, you're less likely to have any problems afterwards. Like "Bricked" devices. And it's not really the manufacturers "fault" if the proper process is involved and takes time. It just that's where we are at in technology. I only wish it was a Plug-n-Play World, but it's not. Soon.

Message 32 of 55
webminster
Luminary

But seriously - this is insane.  They know.  And they didn't pull the update.  That basically implies they don't care.

I have an RBK752.  Not sure why I bought this as a replacement for my previous Orbi set.  I have the same issues, but I haven't had enough time to have to reinstall the whole thing. 

@FURRYe38 wrote:

What Orbi models do you all have? 

NG is aware of users having problems with Orbi AX systems and orbi app having problems over this past weekend. 

Any of your systems recently updated? 

Message 33 of 55
dtay
Luminary

If I were to attempt the factory reset route, do I have to reset both the RBR and RBS or just the RBR only?  My RBS are hard wired.

Message 34 of 55
FURRYe38
Guru

Turn OFF the RBS. Just reset the RBR. 15 second press on the reset button then release. Walk thru the setup wizard with a wired PC or laptop and web browser at HTTP and 192.168.1.1.

@dtay wrote:

If I were to attempt the factory reset route, do I have to reset both the RBR and RBS or just the RBR only?  My RBS are hard wired.

Message 35 of 55
BrandX5
Initiate

Does anyone know if this will be fixed by a firmware download, and we can wait this out?

Message 36 of 55
CrimpOn
Guru

No. No one of the community forum is privy to Netgear engineering plans.  One would hope that since they caused the problem, they will fix it.  Until they say (or do) something, customers appear to have two options:

• Wait and see, or if they are desperate to regain access
  • Perform a Factory Reset and reconfigure.

Sucks big time.

Message 37 of 55
Jroach
Luminary

I second Brandx5's question: Can we wait this out or do we need to reset and start over?

Message 38 of 55
MB_Love
Apprentice

No one knows!!! Netgear has yet to publicly mention the problem
Message 39 of 55
FURRYe38
Guru

For if your system is working you could leave it and see if NG does something. 

If you need immediate access, you'll need to factory reset the RBR only and setup from scratch. Turn OFF the RBS. Just reset the RBR. 15 second press on the reset button then release. Walk thru the setup wizard with a wired PC or laptop and web browser at HTTP and 192.168.1.1. 

@Jroach @BrandX5 

Message 40 of 55
dtay
Luminary

Just wanted to say thanks for the help. I have regained access to the management interface via the GUI (as well as the app).  I powered down both RBS last night, held down the reset button on the RBR for 25 seconds (just to be sure!) and when it came back online, went to a desktop PC, login to the GUI at 192.168..1 and then from there, selected restore a backup configuration (which I had from a few months back ago).  When the RBR rebooted, I powered back up both RBS and everything was back to before.

Message 41 of 55
FURRYe38
Guru

Glad you got it working. Backups are a good thing. 

😉

Message 42 of 55
FarmerBob1
Luminary

@Jroach wrote:

I second Brandx5's question: Can we wait this out or do we need to reset and start over?

I fear that if you try to wait it out, you'll be too old to start over. As I wrote in my book above, signed printed copies are available in the T-Shirt Shop, you should factory reset, load FW, Pin-Hole Reset (in the gist of FW controlled electronics it "Clears, Cleans and Seats" the software and buffers that otherwise wouldn't get done with a regular install) and input from scratch, "ALWAYS". Especially these days with all that's going on. Give yourself the best possible, under the circumstances, place to start. And a head start if you talk to Tech Support, you can say, "Yup, done that" "and that" "and that", This last install I did I lost access to the RBR, Power Cycled and it was so slow pages took close to 5 minutes to load. So I did a Pin-Hole Reset and all was beautiful and I was able to get the thing all set up quickly and ready for all the real problems. Which I have spent the last few days working on and on . . .

And "Do Not" reload using the back-up of your previous set up. Especially if it's a different FW. I've stopped making them. Unless I do a "Clean Install" for testing purposes and want to see if the issue is in settings that would be in the Back-up that I did that were wrong.

I've made a couple of "Bricks" along the way. Those were disposable. "You don't want to brick one of these!"

Message 43 of 55
Coastal_guy
Initiate

Thanks everyone!   I'm going to wait a bit to see if we get a response from NetGear.  Everything is working fine, I just can't access the Orbi Router via the APP as everyone has mentioned.    After several reboots, I thought I was going crazy...........so I'm glad I found this forum.

Message 44 of 55
dtay
Luminary

So it's a given that Netgear is aware of the issues that their firmware has caused.  But does anyone know for sure if Netgear is going to be releasing an updated firmware (and pushing it out automatically) to restore the network management access (via app and GUI) anytime soon?  I'm sure their tech support lines are being hammered by calls.

Message 45 of 55
FURRYe38
Guru

We don't. Others have posted that they contacted NG and is aware of it. No time frames.

Message 46 of 55
Coastal_guy
Initiate

I should have mentioned my details:   RBR750 

Firmware Version: V4.6.5.14

Is that the Firmware Version that has caused the issue?

Message 47 of 55
FURRYe38
Guru

No, though it may have been appart as NG auto update system may have attempted to update our system to v4.6.8.2 which started happening last weekend approx. User started seeing no access to the web page. So far, factory resets and setup from scratch using a wire PC and web browser at HTTP and 192.168.1.1 has regained access. 

@Coastal_guy wrote:

I should have mentioned my details:   RBR750 

Firmware Version: V4.6.5.14

Is that the Firmware Version that has caused the issue?

Message 48 of 55
MikeS2021
Aspirant

Has anyone heard of a timeline on resolution to this firmware issue?  I see that an update was made to the mobile app, but that didn't resolve the access issue.

Message 49 of 55
Ryrx
Tutor

Think of it as less a firmware issue and more of an issue during the update process. The firmware appears to be fine. If you do the reset as described, it will start up with the firmware in question. I've done it, no issues with it after the reset.

The words 'firmware issue' initially held me back because it sounds like you need new firmware to fix it. It doesn't appear to be the case, just some kind of glitch occurred during the update. Resetting it appears to fix it all and let it run under the new firmware just fine.
Message 50 of 55
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7