Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Chromebooks refuse to join Orbi WiFi 6 network (AX6000)

LameGoose
Tutor

Chromebooks refuse to join Orbi WiFi 6 network (AX6000)

I just configured my new WiFi 6 Orbi AX6000 (RBR850 + RBS850), and my Lenovo C330 units (x2) fail to join the network.

All of my other devices connect and perform without issue (mostly Apple devices, HomeKit accessories, and NestCams); unfortunately, these Chromebooks are the outliers.

When I attempt to join my network, I get a generic “unknown” error from Chrome OS, and connection fails.

Things I’ve tried:
-Power-cycling the network (modem and Orbi)
-Wired and wireless configuration of the satellite
-Removing the satellite entirely
-Changing encryption to WPA/WPA2 from WPA2 only
-Updating firmware:
-RBR850: V3.2.8.5
-RBS850: V3.2.8.5

My Chromebooks had no issues with my previous mesh setup (Amplifi HD), and I can currently connect them to my phone’s personal hotspot (workaround so the kids can complete their school assignments).

I know folks have seen similar issues with other Orbi setups, but those threads just kind of died with no real resolution.

Is anyone else currently experiencing this behavior? Thoughts and suggestions welcome.
Message 1 of 28

Accepted Solutions
Eroach
Guide

Re: Chromebooks refuse to join Orbi WiFi 6 network (AX6000) (FIX)

We have a fix! My Chromebooks are finally connected. 

1. Login to orbilogin.net.
2. Click ADVANCED Tab, on a far left panel click on ADVANCED option and then select Advanced Wireless Settings under it.
3. Change the CTS/RTS value to 2347 then click APPLY button to save the settings.
4. Then, try again connecting your Chromebook to the wifi network.

Note: After I did this it did not work right away. I forgot the network on the Chromebook and restarted the computer than tried to connect and bam I'm connected to the Orbi. Keep you posted if I have any drops but working as of now.

View solution in original post

Message 21 of 28

All Replies
FURRYe38
Guru

Do the books connect if you temporarilly disable WPA security on the RBR? Re-enable WPA2 and AES only after testing this. 

What channels are you using? Auto? Try setting manual channel 1.

What happens if you disable AX mode? 

Message 2 of 28
LameGoose
Tutor

Just tried a few more things—starting with disabling AX (it would be nice if the Obi app supported the ability to do this). Chromebooks still refuse to connect.

Then I effectively started from scratch:
-Changed SSID
-Set encryption to None
-Disabled AX
-Rebooted router

My Chromebooks were able to see the new SSID; however, attempts to join result in the same behavior.

I haven’t played around with my channels yet. 2.4GHz is set to Auto, while 5GHz is set to 48.

At some point I’ll get around to contacting both Lenovo and Netgear support. I’m wondering if there’s just a compatibility issue with Orbi and the network cards in these particular Chromebook models.
Message 3 of 28
FURRYe38
Guru

Ok, If there not connecting with AX and WPA disabled, then there is a compatibility issue. I presume it's with the WiFi adapter drivers with in these books. 

I would start with Lenovo first. You can collect debug logs if you want to during the attempted connect with the book by going to 192.168.1.1\debug.htm and starting the logging process. Then attempt to connect one of the books to the system. After it fails. Select the Save Logs button. Have these ready for NG to review. 

Open a ticket here:

https://www.netgear.com/mynetgear/registration/login.aspx

Afix the logs to the ticket. 

Message 4 of 28
Chuck_M
Mentor

As a last-resort test, you may want to factory reset the router and see if that clears up any incompatibility.

Message 5 of 28
freeridevt
Initiate

We are having similar issues with an Orbi Router/Satelite combo. Everything else works fine (various laptops, cell phones, printers,etc.) but ever since we added the new Orbi devices our Asus Chromebook C202S can't connect to the Sateliete. Its an Orbi RBS50v2 (brand new).

If I set the laptop next to the Orbi Router, it works fine. It specifically won't work when connecting to the Satalite. The connection is never established - it just continues to try to establish a connection to the wifi SSID. I've seen it partially get connected and then it ends up with the wrong IP configured as the router.  Pretty disappointing.

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 6 of 28
Chuck_M
Mentor

Have you tried to factory reset Just the Satellite (since that appears to be were the issues lay)

Message 7 of 28
FURRYe38
Guru

Something to contact Google about and let them know about there books not working with the new Orbi AX wifi. Probably a wifi driver incompatibility that Google needs to address and update there drivers in these books. 

@freeridevt wrote:

We are having similar issues with an Orbi Router/Satelite combo. Everything else works fine (various laptops, cell phones, printers,etc.) but ever since we added the new Orbi devices our Asus Chromebook C202S can't connect to the Sateliete. Its an Orbi RBS50v2 (brand new).

If I set the laptop next to the Orbi Router, it works fine. It specifically won't work when connecting to the Satalite. The connection is never established - it just continues to try to establish a connection to the wifi SSID. I've seen it partially get connected and then it ends up with the wrong IP configured as the router.  Pretty disappointing.

Message 8 of 28
freeridevt
Initiate

Tried a factory reboot but the problem continues.

Message 9 of 28
FURRYe38
Guru

I would make contact with Google about this. Also check in with NG support. File a support ticket. 

Message 10 of 28
Eroach
Guide

Any luck with this? I've reached out to Netgear, Lenovo, and now Google. My Chromebook still won't connect. Netgear says to update wifi card (this can't be done on Chromebook). Lenovo says to contact Google. Google doesn't have the greatest support. What else can we do? I might just have to set up an old router for this 1 device.  

Message 11 of 28
fangruoyuan
Guide

Hello, please check your wifi is in secured mode(wpa wpa2) if it is in open mode, i think the chromebook will refuse to connect. I have the unsecured satellite wifi issues for my rbk852.

Message 12 of 28
Eroach
Guide

Yeah I tried everything. Turning off security. Also tried WEP, WPA2, and WPA3. Also tried turning AX mode off.
Message 13 of 28
FURRYe38
Guru

Did you try and disable AX mode while leaving the wifi security open? 

Seems like a problem with the Chrome book and NG FW if the chrome book won't even connect with security turned off. 

I would open a support tickect with NG and Google and see if something can be done. The wifi drivers between the Chrome book and Orbi AX needs to made compatible. 

@Eroach wrote:
Yeah I tried everything. Turning off security. Also tried WEP, WPA2, and WPA3. Also tried turning AX mode off.

Message 14 of 28
Robsrit
Aspirant

Have you solved this?  I have the exact same issues at my house.  I took a Netgear Nighthawk offline and replaced with the Orbi WiFi 6.

Since then the Chromebook will not attach.  With the recent work/school from home initiative I need these online.  Any update would be apreciated.

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router, RBS40|Orbi AC2200 Tri-band WiFi Add-on Satellite
Message 15 of 28
FURRYe38
Guru

Did you try and disable AX mode while leaving the wifi security open as a quick test? Re-enabled WPA2 after testing the chrome book

I would open a support tickect with NG and Google and see if something can be done. The wifi drivers between the Chrome book and Orbi AX needs to made compatible. 

@Robsrit wrote:

Have you solved this?  I have the exact same issues at my house.  I took a Netgear Nighthawk offline and replaced with the Orbi WiFi 6.

Since then the Chromebook will not attach.  With the recent work/school from home initiative I need these online.  Any update would be apreciated.

Message 16 of 28
Eroach
Guide

Nope. Still have an issue. I currently have an old router just to support the chromebook. I have an active ticket into Netgear. Last thing they told me was to update the chromebook wifi drivers. Well chromebook is like iOS, you can't just update drivers you can only update the os. I responded with this concern 1 week ago. I haven't had another response. So I guess we're screwed until Google updates the drivers with the chromebook os. 

Message 17 of 28
roughwaterjd
Initiate

Can you share how you've setup the other router with your existing Orbi 6 setup? I'm in the same boat and trying to get something working that can support my childrens chromebooks.

Message 18 of 28
Robsrit
Aspirant

I updated my Nighthawk with a different SSID, and put it into AP mode, not router mode, allowing the Orbi to handle the DHCP, then plugged the Nighthawk into the Orbi.  This worked ok, but I was still having issues.  I ended up replacing the Orbi with the latest Nighhawk AX12 WiFi 6.  The AX12 did not have the issue with the chromebooks.  Hope either one of these solutions helps...

Message 19 of 28
FURRYe38
Guru

If you have your prior router you can try this. Set up the prior router for AP mode, use same SSID name and PW on it as you have on the Orbi AX. See if you can get the chromebooks to connect to it. If you can, turn off the 2nd router leave the RBR online. See if the chromebooks switch to the Orbi AX signal at all. You might have the AX mode disabled on the RBR during this process. 

If not, NG will need to look into this. I recommend those seeing this problem, please file a support ticket here:

https://www.netgear.com/support/#

Message 20 of 28
Eroach
Guide

2. Click ADVANCED Tab, on a far left panel click on ADVANCED option and then select Advanced Wireless Settings under it.
3. Change the CTS/RTS value to 2347 then click APPLY button to save the settings.

Note: After I did this it did not work right away. I forgot the network on the Chromebook and restarted the computer than tried to connect and bam I'm connected to the Orbi. Keep you posted if I have any drops but working as of now.

Message 21 of 28
FURRYe38
Guru

Awesome fix. Glad that worked. Thanks for sharing this information. Hopefully it will help others. 

@Eroach wrote:

Message 22 of 28
roughwaterjd
Initiate

This change worked for me (so far). Thanks for the tip!

Message 23 of 28
Druizer
Initiate

BINGO!  Very easy fix.  I was about to hook up my old orbi RBR40 just for the Chromebooks.

Message 24 of 28
FURRYe38
Guru

Glad that worked. THanks for confirming it worked for you. 

Enjoy. Smiley Wink

@Druizer wrote:

BINGO!  Very easy fix.  I was about to hook up my old orbi RBR40 just for the Chromebooks.

Message 25 of 28
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 27 replies
  • 25 kudos
  • 10 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7