Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Connecting 2.4GHz Legacy Device to Orbi RBR/RBS750

TarantulaHawk
Aspirant

Connecting 2.4GHz Legacy Device to Orbi RBR/RBS750

My home network consists of an Orbi RBR750 router with two RBS750 satellites.  I will soon need to connect a legacy 2.4GHz-only device to the network, which I understand may have difficulty during setup given that Orbi uses the same SSID for both the 2.4 and 5 GHz bands (which some legacy devices apparently can’t handle).  So far I have seen two general work-arounds proposed in the Orbi user forums, both involving configuration changes via orbilogin.net.  One suggests turning off the “Broadcast SSID on 5 GHz channel” feature (under Advanced > Advanced > Wireless Settings), the other is to reduce the 5 GHz transmit power to 25% (also under Advanced > Advanced > Wireless Settings).  Both changes are intended to prevent the legacy 2.4 GHz device from seeing the 5 GHz band.  However, turning off the 5 GHz SSID option seems to have been eliminated in recent firmware updates, and while I see a line item “Transmit Power Control” it is not selectable, therefore I do not see a way to reduce 5 GHz transmit power.

Is there a way to reduce the possibility of the legacy device seeing the 5 GHz band, aside from just increasing physical distancing?   

Message 1 of 5
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Connecting 2.4GHz Legacy Device to Orbi RBR/RBS750

A legacy 2.4Ghz device will never see 5Ghz. It doesn't have the hardware required to use or connect to any 5Ghz signal. 

Disabling of SSID has never been supported on Orbi AX since they first came out. It is available on Orbi AC systems.

Is the legacy device have it's own connection interface to have it connect to the Orbi AX SSID or does it use a mobile setup app on a phone or a pad to get it to connect? 

Message 2 of 5
TarantulaHawk
Aspirant

The device is a Hunter Hydrawise HCC sprinkler controller.  It's Wifi spec is "2.4 GHz (only) Wi-Fi router compatible, 802.11 b/g/n 20 MHz".  The controller has it's own on-board wifi setup capability through its own native LCD touch panel.  Hunter tech support tells me that their controllers "will see both a 2.4/5 Ghz network but will only connect to the 2.4 Ghz network signal only.  They can sometimes have connection issues with dual-band routers but most seem to work just fine with our devices."  I'm trying to gauge the likelihood of a compatibility problem and the possible need for an alternative connection plan, such as configuring a dedicated 2.4 GHz outdoor access point separate from the Orbi.  Thanks!

Message 3 of 5
FURRYe38
Guru

Try turning OFF the RBS, Then try disabling AX mode on 2.4Ghz.

Set CTS Value to 2347. Ensure 20/40Mhz is checked Under Advanced Tab/Advanced Settings/Wireless Settings

Message 4 of 5
plemans
Guru

@TarantulaHawk wrote:

The device is a Hunter Hydrawise HCC sprinkler controller.  It's Wifi spec is "2.4 GHz (only) Wi-Fi router compatible, 802.11 b/g/n 20 MHz".  The controller has it's own on-board wifi setup capability through its own native LCD touch panel.  Hunter tech support tells me that their controllers "will see both a 2.4/5 Ghz network but will only connect to the 2.4 Ghz network signal only. 

Like @FURRYe38 says if its only 2.4ghz compatible, it won't "see" 5ghz. 

Try making sure your phone/tablet is on 2.4ghz when setting up. 

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7