Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Connecting RBS20s to RBK752 via LAN

ForestHome
Aspirant

Connecting RBS20s to RBK752 via LAN

I currently have an RBR20 router with two RBS20 satelites and have been very happy with this in most circumstances.  Both of my satelites are connected via LAN.  I am looking to upgrade to a RBK752 and use the router and connect it to the one new satelite and the older two satelites all via LAN.  I am reading that the RBS20's are not compatible via wifi signal back to the new router but am reading some things that seem to state that the RBS20's would be compatible via LAN.  I would like to double check this before buying a new system.

I realize that the 750 series does not need to be connected via LAN but with a large house that has more CAT5E cable ran through it than I most businesses, I figure why not use the LAN as long as I have it.

Message 1 of 4

Accepted Solutions
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Connecting RBS20s to RBK752 via LAN

Orbi AC 📡 are compatible via ethernet (LAN) connections with Orbi AX. 

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 4

All Replies
CrimpOn
Guru

My iimpression is that this is indeed the case.  Older Orbi satellites cannot be connected over WiFi because they have different WiFi chipsets that are incompatible with the newer 802.11ax chipsets, but can be connected over ethernet.

In their infinite wisdom, Netgear created separate community forums for many networking products, including separate forums for the original Orbi, Orbi Pro, Orbi Voice, and the new AX Orbi products.  People who have successfully connected older satellites to the new AX router may notice the question if it is posted in the AX community forum.

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi-AX/bd-p/en-home-orbi-ax 

p.s. What do you have to lose by trying?

Message 2 of 4
ForestHome
Aspirant

Thanks for the reply.  I am checking because if I can't use the older satelites then I would be forced to upgrade to the RBK754 to cover the whole house and garage.  Because the guest rooms and garage are only needed sporatically, I don't think I would go forward with the upgrade if the older units aren't compatible via LAN. 

Second quick question, should I repost this question on the link that you forwarded?  If you're confident that it is compatible via LAN then I won't.

Message 3 of 4
FURRYe38
Guru

Orbi AC 📡 are compatible via ethernet (LAN) connections with Orbi AX. 

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7