Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Connection to NAS from new Mac

VerneArase
Apprentice

Connection to NAS from new Mac

I'm having problems connecting my Synology attached via ethernet to my router to my Mac attached via ethernet to a satellite.

The Mac has a 10 gb ethernet port which I'm trying to configure manually (to see if it's the new ethernet port on the Mac).

Under manual ethernet configuration, I'm offered a choice of full-duplex or full-duplex w/flow control. Also, there is an option for AVG/EAV mode.

Does anyone know how this should be configured? Does the Orbi RBS850 offer flow control? How abouit audio video streaming mode?

Unless I hear otherwise, I changing it to 1000baseT, full-duplex, MTU 1500, AVB/EAV Mode off.

-- Thanks, Verne

Model: RBK53|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi System
Message 1 of 4
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Connection to NAS from new Mac

Does the mac get to the NAS while connected to the RBR? 

Message 2 of 4
VerneArase
Apprentice

@FURRYe38 wrote:

Does the mac get to the NAS while connected to the RBR? 

Yes, the Mac gets to the NAS but there were connection (or rather disconnection) problems.

Long story short, after about a zillion diagnostic steps I finally narrowed it down to a ribbon-like cable purchased from Amazon which purported to be a CAT7 cable.

Replaced it with a normal shielded CAT7 cable from Cable Matters and all is now well.

I've been experiencing lots of connection problems with ethernet and Thunderbolt 3, so I carefully blew out all connectors and sockets with compressed air and replaced all cables which looked to be marginal and all is now well.

Recently I got gigabit service and I discovered that turning on flow control cut down on errors, so I assume the RBS850 supports flow control. Left AV streaming mode off though.

Right now I'm downloading The Supranos from iTunes (on sale this week for $40) and am getting about 85 MB/sec peak with a single stream. Turned off Simultaneous Downloads to keep the data rate manageable.

Discovered the Set Service Order directive in the Network system preference pane which allowed me to prioritize ethernet over wifi.

I was testing high speed connections to my NNTP server (Giganews) with a voluntary 350 mbps limiter and later discovered Comast put into place a point-to-point rate limiter to my NNTP server which took my 20 download streams down to 10 MB/sec. Rebooted the router (which lost the rate limiter which was limiting connections to 500 kbps) and voluntarily put into place a 250 mbps limit in place which has so far not tripped any excessive bandwidth alarms with the local Comcast network administrators.

All kinds of network education going on here.

Model: RBK53|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi System
Message 3 of 4
FURRYe38
Guru

Glad you found the cable issue. Yes, most ribbon or flat ethernet cables are not recommended. Good quality sheilded CAT6/7 cables are best. 

You learn as you go sometimes. Smiley Wink

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7