Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Connection to satellite RBS850 much slower than to router RBR850

frankmeister
Aspirant

Connection to satellite RBS850 much slower than to router RBR850

When my iPhone is connected to the RBR850 router I get download speeds of about 800 Mbps. However when I am connected to anyone of my RBS850 satellites I only get about 90 Mbps down. Strangely enough my upload speeds are consistent at around 40 Mbps for both router and satellites. My satellites are connected to router via Ethernet. HELP please!
Message 1 of 10

Accepted Solutions
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Connection to satellite RBS850 much slower than to router RBR850

Good to hear. Ya, Cat5 was good at the time. 5e is ok but getting older now and not as good and cat6 and beyond. 

Glad you got it working on wireless. Please mark your thread as solves so others will know. 

Enjoy. Smiley Wink

View solution in original post

Message 8 of 10

All Replies
FURRYe38
Guru

What Firmware version is currently loaded?

What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet is recommended in between RBR and RBS to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected. https://kb.netgear.com/000036466/How-far-should-I-place-my-Orbi-satellite-from-my-Orbi-router

Be sure you are connected at the RBS while near it. Disable the iPHones wifi radio for 5 seconds then turn it back on while near the RBS, say 6 feet. 

Message 2 of 10
frankmeister
Aspirant

Firmware is the latest and greatest, just updated yesterday: V3.2.16.6

It's the latest and greatest Gigspeed modem/router from Comcast/Xfinity.  Why does the model of the ISP router matter when I am getting great speeds from my NG router (it's the satellites that are slow)?  

Home is about 5,000sq.  Why does that matter when the satellites are connected to router via Ethernet?

Tried turning iPhone on and off, no difference.  Staying within 3ft of the satellite when getting the limited speeds.

Could it be that NG skimped on these $350 devices and only put 100Mbps switches in them instead of gigabit switches?

Message 3 of 10
FURRYe38
Guru

I would file a support ticket and contact NG support. Your RBS maybe just faulty and needs replacing. 

Gb ports are in the RBS.

Message 4 of 10
PlanePoke
Guide

Did you ever get an answer to this?  I see solution "solved" but I don't see the actual solution!  I have the exact same problem with a 90mpbs limit on the satellites.

Message 5 of 10
FURRYe38
Guru

Any progress on this? 

@frankmeister wrote:

Firmware is the latest and greatest, just updated yesterday: V3.2.16.6

It's the latest and greatest Gigspeed modem/router from Comcast/Xfinity.  Why does the model of the ISP router matter when I am getting great speeds from my NG router (it's the satellites that are slow)?  

Home is about 5,000sq.  Why does that matter when the satellites are connected to router via Ethernet?

Tried turning iPhone on and off, no difference.  Staying within 3ft of the satellite when getting the limited speeds.

Could it be that NG skimped on these $350 devices and only put 100Mbps switches in them instead of gigabit switches?

Message 6 of 10
frankmeister
Aspirant

Yes, I figured it out.  The ethernet cabling in my house is only Cat5, so limited to 100Mbps.  I ended reconfiguring the layout of the router and satellites so that they could all comunicate wirelessly.  Getting strong performance now.

Message 7 of 10
FURRYe38
Guru

Good to hear. Ya, Cat5 was good at the time. 5e is ok but getting older now and not as good and cat6 and beyond. 

Glad you got it working on wireless. Please mark your thread as solves so others will know. 

Enjoy. Smiley Wink

Message 8 of 10
Orbi220
Aspirant

I have same issues. Please share the solution.

Message 9 of 10
FURRYe38
Guru

Grade there cat 5 LAN cabling to higher grade. CAT6 is recommended. 

@Orbi220 wrote:

I have same issues. Please share the solution.

Message 10 of 10
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7