Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Connectivity Issues - ORBI Keeps disconnecting, I hate ORBI!

Connectivity Issues - ORBI Keeps disconnecting, I hate ORBI!

I orginally purchased the router + 2 sattelites at Costco and there hasn't been a day where I did not have issues with this router. Ever since I powered on the unit, there has not been a single instance where my iOS iPhone would be connected via Wi-Fi for more than 5 MINUTES. Every couple minutes or so, for some god forsaken awful reason, my iPhone drops the internet. It is so incredibly frustrating considering I have spent COUNTLESS amounts of hours looking through discussion posts, reddit, on phone support only to have the same continous problem. 

After spending literal days worth of hours in a 2 week period I decided to finally give it up and mainly use my phone in the kitchen (with the sattelite) since the internet maintains a solid strong connection without any hiccups. Since I live in a 1 bedroom apartment, I keep the router in my room, and just 1 sattelite in the kitchen. This building is very old, and with my older router, the connection from my room alone does not reach the kitchen even though it is only ~20 feet away *hint: this is why I got the mesh system.* But for some truly disgraceful reason, I can never hold a connection even when the *router* is 5 feet away from me. 

I have become so frustrated over the month that I finally decided to call NG and replace the unit. Figuring this would solve my issues, I installed the new router and finally... bliss, my iphone held a connection for so long I was able to run a speed test! Wow! But then quite literally 10 minutes later, the same issues start happening. 

I swear to god I am quite literally a fraction of a second away from destroying and pulverizing this stupid overpriced piece of junk NG has decided to pass off as a router. This is my last resort, I never post on forums asking for advice. If someone can just point me in the right direction to just help me fix this issue I would greatly appreciate it. 

YES the router is updated. FW version 3.2.18.1

NO I don't know the sqaure footage of my apartment. 

NO I'm not changing the channel settings. 

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 8

Accepted Solutions

[SOLVED] Re: Connectivity Issues - ORBI Keeps disconnecting, I hate ORBI!

The replies provided SOME help, but, yet again, I was able to solve this on my own (shame on you netgear.)

The solution was as followed: 

- CHECK YOUR SOFTWARE VERSION!!! At the time of this post, the CURRENT version for the RBS/RBR750 (AX4200) is V4.6.3.7_2.0.49. DO NOT TRUST THE "CHECK FOR UPDATES" FEATURE ON THE APP/ROUTER LOGIN.  After doing extensive research, I found out that my router was sitting on version 3.whatever and that the current version was 4.6.3 but the "check for updates function" somehow magically didnt detect the outdated firmware, SO, I had to MANUALLY update the device myself (google instructions).

TIP: The files containg the up-to-date firmware are DIFFERENT for the RBS and RBR, so make sure you google the appropriate system file you need to install it.  

- If you are in an apartment that is difficult to get signal across but somehow keeps dropping the signal with orbi, UPDATE IT and then LOWER the Transmit Power Control. I lowered both 2.4 ghz and 5 ghz to 50% and hardwire the sattelite to the router. I was fortunate enough that this was already in place from previous renters. I now get router like speeds in the kitchen (with sattelite) and the rest of the house thanks to the router. However, I am almost postive you do not need to hardwire it, I just got lucky. 

After struggling for literal weeks it seems to be holding out pretty well. Im glad I am not spending countless nights figuring this out. I hope this can help current Orbi owners. And if you too are getting frustrated/this solution doesn't help, just return the damn router and find another mesh router system. The stress and time I wasted on this unit was not worth it in the slightest. 

View solution in original post

Message 5 of 8

All Replies
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Connectivity Issues - ORBI Keeps disconnecting, I hate ORBI!

Netgear has set up a community forum specifically for the Orbi AX (WiFi 6) products. Most of the people who watch that forum are more likely to have experience with Orbi AX and know how to work it better than those of us who follow this "general Orbi" forum. Might be more likely to find someone who has a solution if the question is posted there:
https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi-AX/bd-p/en-home-orbi-ax

Thank you.

Message 2 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
What is the distance between the router and 📡 satellite(s)? 30 feet or more is recommended in between RBR and RBS📡 to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected.
https://kb.netgear.com/31029/Where-should-I-place-my-Orbi-satellite 📡

What channels are you using? Auto? Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and 40 to 48 channel on 5Ghz.
Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?

Also try turning down the power output of the RBRs wifi radios from 100% to 50% and see if this changes anything. Under Advanced Tab/Advanced Settings/Wireless Settings

Try disabling the following and see:
Armor, Circle, Traffic Meter. Set CTS to 2347. Save settings and reboot the router and satellite(s). Under Advanced Tab/Advanced Settings/Wireless Settings

You can find other speed diagnosis steps in the community faq: https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi-AX/Community-FAQ-My-Orbi-speeds-are-slow-inconsistent-and-don-...

@brooklynishome 

Message 3 of 8
titaniumrx8
Apprentice

@brooklynishome 

Are you saying you haven't changed channels or you refuse to change channels?

In an apartment, I'd use a network analyzer app On the phone to see which channels have the least competition. The Orbi might be defaulting to a different channel than your old router and could be putting you a more crowded channel.

Also, your satellite is very close to the router, try cutting transmit power.

Also, have you tried using the router with no satellite?

Message 4 of 8

[SOLVED] Re: Connectivity Issues - ORBI Keeps disconnecting, I hate ORBI!

The replies provided SOME help, but, yet again, I was able to solve this on my own (shame on you netgear.)

The solution was as followed: 

- CHECK YOUR SOFTWARE VERSION!!! At the time of this post, the CURRENT version for the RBS/RBR750 (AX4200) is V4.6.3.7_2.0.49. DO NOT TRUST THE "CHECK FOR UPDATES" FEATURE ON THE APP/ROUTER LOGIN.  After doing extensive research, I found out that my router was sitting on version 3.whatever and that the current version was 4.6.3 but the "check for updates function" somehow magically didnt detect the outdated firmware, SO, I had to MANUALLY update the device myself (google instructions).

TIP: The files containg the up-to-date firmware are DIFFERENT for the RBS and RBR, so make sure you google the appropriate system file you need to install it.  

- If you are in an apartment that is difficult to get signal across but somehow keeps dropping the signal with orbi, UPDATE IT and then LOWER the Transmit Power Control. I lowered both 2.4 ghz and 5 ghz to 50% and hardwire the sattelite to the router. I was fortunate enough that this was already in place from previous renters. I now get router like speeds in the kitchen (with sattelite) and the rest of the house thanks to the router. However, I am almost postive you do not need to hardwire it, I just got lucky. 

After struggling for literal weeks it seems to be holding out pretty well. Im glad I am not spending countless nights figuring this out. I hope this can help current Orbi owners. And if you too are getting frustrated/this solution doesn't help, just return the damn router and find another mesh router system. The stress and time I wasted on this unit was not worth it in the slightest. 

Message 5 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: [SOLVED] Re: Connectivity Issues - ORBI Keeps disconnecting, I hate ORBI!

Glad you got it working.

For future rerference:

https://kb.netgear.com/31573/How-do-I-manually-upgrade-firmware-on-my-Orbi-router-using-orbilogin-co...
https://kb.netgear.com/000037217/How-do-I-check-and-manually-upgrade-the-firmware-on-my-Orbi-satelli...

You can get files from here:

https://www.netgear.com/support/default.aspx

It's common knowledge that both RBR and RBS should be loaded with same version of FW. 

Enjoy. 

Message 6 of 8

I also updated the CTS/RTS treshold to 2347 (advanced>wireless settings). This seemed to help. I use the Network Analyzer App on my iPhone and run a ping to the gateway router. So far, so good. Ive been able to hold solid pings for 500 seconds. 

Message 7 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

Good to hear. Enjoy.Smiley Wink

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7