Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: DHCP reservations and rebooting: WHY?

gumpgump
Guide

DHCP reservations and rebooting: WHY?

There's a threat from 2020 that I can't reply to about this.

I find it annoying that in the year 2021 we have to reboot routers for a simple DHCP reservation change.  Perhaps it's with IPtables consistency?  Can someone comment more... I just feel like this is unnecessary; that is, I have managed ISC DHCP independently and it's a simple HUP of the server process to reload.   *shrug*

Message 1 of 10
FURRYe38
Guru

What 2020 threat are you referring to 

What NG product/model are you referring to? 

Message 2 of 10
gumpgump
Guide

Sorry, I am using the Orbi WIFI6 RBR850.

Firmware Version
V3.2.16.22_1.4.9

Message 3 of 10
FURRYe38
Guru

What 2020 threat are you referring to?

What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet or more is recommended in between RBR and RBS to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected.

Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?

There is v12 available for manual download and manual installation:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi-AX/New-RBR850-RBS850-Series-Firmware-Version-v3-2-17-12-Releas...

Message 4 of 10
gumpgump
Guide

This is referring only to the internal LAN DHCP service.

When you create a simple DHCP reservation for a device, the firmware must reboot.  This doesn't make any sense to me -- hence my question, wanting to at least understand why this is the case.

Message 5 of 10
FURRYe38
Guru

I think NG reboots to refresh the DHCP table and connections. 

Message 6 of 10
gumpgump
Guide

Is there a mailing list for new firmware announcements?

Message 7 of 10
FURRYe38
Guru

Some get emails some do not. 

I think if your registered with there site and on there portal you should get an email. 

They dont set out often...I tend too an eye on NG download page for updates 

Message 8 of 10
DatabaseJase
Luminary

@gumpgump wrote:

There's a threat from 2020 that I can't reply to about this.

I think you mean there is a thread from 2020 that you can't reply to. 🙂

@gumpgump wrote:

I find it annoying that in the year 2021 we have to reboot routers for a simple DHCP reservation change.  Perhaps it's with IPtables consistency?  Can someone comment more... I just feel like this is unnecessary; that is, I have managed ISC DHCP independently and it's a simple HUP of the server process to reload.   *shrug*

When you add/edit/delete a DHCP reservation you don't need to click the "APPLY" button at the top of the page.  The change to DHCP will still be saved which you can test by moving to another page and then returning to "LAN Setup" and you'll see your changes have been saved.  You might need to reboot or disconnect/reconnect from WiFi on the device that should be using the DHCP reservation.

I think that when you click "APPLY" the firmware assumes you have made a change to the "LAN TCP/IP Setup" even if you haven't and so reboots the router so that the new IP Address range can take affect. That has been my experiance anyway.

Message 9 of 10
gumpgump
Guide

Haha... sorry about that!  I didn't even see the typo.   Yes, I meant "thread" not "threat" Smiley LOL

Your explanation makes sense, thank you.  The modal is probably a catch-all to ensure the settings take into the router.  I will try this next time, thank you for pointing this out.

Forrest

Message 10 of 10
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7