Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: DNS Error Popup Issues (Round 2)

Validus
Luminary

DNS Error Popup Issues (Round 2)

Using the NETGEAR Orbi RBK852 AX6000 mesh router, since purchased, with various firmware versions

(no other routers I've used in the past have this problem)

Now currently on Firmware Version v4.6.7.13 Official Release.

Even this version of Firmware gives me the DNS issues. Popping up for a split second.

This time the message is "ERR_NAME_NOT_RESOLVED".

(Different from the previous versions of Firmware)

It will occur randomly and only the first time visiting a webpage. You will have to clear out cache for it to reoccur. Even then it's rare to happen again.

However, for each webpage it does it on, I have noticed under the console log > network it will have a Status = (failed) net::ERR_NAME_NOT_RESOLVED on one of the scripts or something the webpage is trying to load upon it.

I've tracked the reason to this being blocked in my HOSTS file, such as:

0.0.0.0 ssl.google-analytics.com

Mentioned at the top of the big list is:

# This list is Copyright 2000-2017 Safer-Networking Ltd.

So I've figured out it's from the app called SpyBot by Safer-Networking. After using it's Immunization tool to block out advertising trackers, etc. It sets them all to point to the IP Address 0.0.0.0

If I visit any of them directly I will get that message "ERR_NAME_NOT_RESOLVED" and it will remain there.

Other routers tend to ignore this and skip over it. However, since I've had the Orbi it's been throwing out those DNS warnings over the entire webpage and then refresh to load the page as normal a few seconds afterwards.

Is this something I can fix on my end, because I just find it annoying and it appears to slightly slow it down as well? Otherwise is it an issue with the way the Orbi router handles the IP Address 0.0.0.0?

Message 1 of 33

Accepted Solutions
Validus
Luminary

Possible fix:

NAT Filtering > SIP ALG 

NAT Filtering is set to Secure and has a tick box to disable SIP ALG upon it checked by default. Unticking that and enabling SIP ALG appears to of improve it's performance, creating a snapper response to device calls and may have of resolved my DNS issue too.

Will mark this as resolved, once fully tested and confirmed.

View solution in original post

Message 28 of 33

All Replies
FURRYe38
Guru

What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?

What is the CAT# cable between the modem and RBR? 

What all devices do you have connected to the RBR? 

What browsers are you using? 

Do you have any Armor or SPC or had any of these two features enabled recently? 

Is IPv6 enabled or disabled? 

I presume you have have already done a factory reset and setup from scratch after v.13 was loaded? 

"I've tracked the reason to this being blocked in my HOSTS file, such as:

0.0.0.0 ssl.google-analytics.com" < is this listed in your host file? What happens if you put a (#) in front of this entry on the host file? 

Message 2 of 33
CrimpOn
Guru

@Validus wrote:

So I've figured out it's from the app called SpyBot by Safer-Networking. After using it's Immunization tool to block out advertising trackers, etc. It sets them all to point to the IP Address 0.0.0.0

Is this something I can fix on my end, because I just find it annoying and it appears to slightly slow it down as well? Otherwise is it an issue with the way the Orbi router handles the IP Address 0.0.0.0?

When entries in the computer hosts file (I am not aware that Orbi routers maintain a hosts file) point to 0.0.0.0, that means "don't go there".

It is the computer making this decision, not the router. Open a command window on the computer and attempt to ping 0.0.0.0. It will fail.

Message 3 of 33
Validus
Luminary

ONT = Chorus Optical Network Terminal Model Type 200

It doesn't have Wifi features or any setup options I can access. It appears to have it's own flat cable of a CAT 5E type, I've used that to connect directly to the Orbi Router. Set as Router Mode.

The Orbi Router then has a CAT 6 cable directly to a desktop PC. Only that device is connected to the main router.

Other Satellites connected to the TV, Nvidia Shield Pro and other various devices will use CAT 5e Patched ethernet cables.

I have Armor and SPC both disabled. UPnP is also disabled.

I have VLAN enabled and VLAN tag group set ID = 10 on all Wired Ports and Wireless. This is required by the ISP.

I use IPv4. IPv6 is disabled as my ISP doesn't support it. I did previously use a 6to4 Tunnel for IPv6 and that solved the DNS issues from appearing, however Google Search Engine warned it was insecure and being discontinued. So gone back to IPv4. Hense why I bring it up again (Round 2).

Message 4 of 33
FURRYe38
Guru

@Validus wrote:

ONT = Chorus Optical Network Terminal Model Type 200

It doesn't have Wifi features or any setup options I can access. It appears to have it's own flat cable of a CAT 5E type, I've used that to connect directly to the Orbi Router. Set as Router Mode.

The Orbi Router then has a CAT 6 cable directly to a desktop PC. Only that device is connected to the main router.

Other Satellites connected to the TV, Nvidia Shield Pro and other various devices will use CAT 5e Patched ethernet cables.

I have Armor and SPC both disabled. UPnP is also disabled. Would you enable uPnP please let see if this changes anything. After enableing this, do a full power OFF of the ISP ONT and RBR for 1 minute then back ON. 

I have VLAN enabled and VLAN tag group set ID = 10 on all Wired Ports and Wireless. This is required by the ISP.

Wondering if this maybe a factor here as I don't use this for my ISP and I have not seen any DNS issues whatsoever. Possible that mis-handling between the RBR, this vlan configuration and the ISP ONT could be at play here. 

I use IPv4. IPv6 is disabled as my ISP doesn't support it. I did previously use a 6to4 Tunnel for IPv6 and that solved the DNS issues from appearing, however Google Search Engine warned it was insecure and being discontinued. So gone back to IPv4. Hense why I bring it up again (Round 2). After testing with uPnP enable and if you don't see any change, please re-enable this as a short term test to see if this problem continues or is resolved by using 6to4 DNS configuration. 

Lets see if any of these two items change the DNS behavior. I believe that probably that your ISPs VLAN configuration and how the RBR is handling it maybe the problem as you say, this has been happening on every FW versions, this leads me to think that something in this configuration is not working right. We may need you to capture debug logs for NG review.

Message 5 of 33
Validus
Luminary

Thanks for the suggestions. I'll try one thing at a time and allow for testing each change.

Firstly I have removed the entries under the HOST file. There was a ton pointing to 0.0.0.0 or 127.0.0.1 to block out due to Spybot. It was 460KB and now is 1KB.

After quite some time today, got the same results as before from the URL:

https://home.nzcity.co.nz/tvnow/tvguide.aspx

It popped up with the message "ERR_NAME_NOT_RESOLVED" again, then refreshes and loads fine. However this time, there was no failed/blocking of Request URL: https://www.google-analytics.com/urchin.js

Instead it just shows two HTTP Status 499 instead...

Request Method: GET
Referrer Policy: strict-origin-when-cross-origin
cache-control: no-store, no-cache, must-revalidate, max-age=0

Those will remain the same doing that, unless I visit the URL directly. Is that normal? I think my system just loves to block ads and trackers. Still wondering if it's related or just confusing me on were the root cause is?

Can rule out the HOST file from being the issue so far.

Message 6 of 33
FURRYe38
Guru

What browser are you using? This happens across other browsers and other PCs? 

Message 7 of 33
Validus
Luminary

Web-browsers: Microsoft Edge, Firefox, and Google Chrome

Happens on a desktop PC directly connected to the Router and a laptop using wifi from one of the Satellites.

It's rare when it decides to happen but can happen a lot during that time period. Feels like if someone is exploiting the Orbi router for DDOS attacks or something like that? Perhaps happens when streaming either Netflix across the Nvidia Shield, Steam downloading a huge game, or using multiple web-browsers (Edge + Google Chrome) at the same time streaming Youtube? So maybe to do with hogging the bandwidth or multiple devices using it at the same time. Then when you google or open a certain webpage, it will only occur on certain ones, most commonly when there's a redirect such as this website going to the login or logout. Checking Yahoo emails, logging out. Yet also sites like going directly to that NZCity TV Guide URL as mentioned in the previous post.

Been trying to narrow this issue down for a while now but appears to just of temporary masked it.

Another curious thing that occurs is when there is a firmware update, it seems to be working well for a week or so. Progressively getting worst over time. I know it doesn't seem to affect IPv6 at all, only IPv4.

Message 8 of 33
FURRYe38
Guru

Ok. Good information to have. I've passed this on to NG for review. Since this has been happing mostly across FW versions and hasn't been resolved with continued updates, I'm thinking theres some mis-handling between the RBR, VLAN configuration and the ISP services. 

If you can please enable debug logs and start collecting the logs and also collect the WAN to LAN logs as well. Let the logs run until you see this again. Take a screen capture of what the browser displays, then go in and save off the logs. It it generate a .zip file. I'll PM you on how to get me your logs. 

Message 9 of 33
Validus
Luminary

I'll try to capture it when it happens. It's hard to time and record or recreate it. Currently it's working fine again.

Last night and this morning it didn't occur at all, yet nothing else was also using the connection to stream or download. Steam has finished all it's game updates too. I suspect it's either multitasking or bandwidth hog requirement for the issue, unless there's something changed on Netgear's server side since I mentioned it with DNS lookups?

If the Netgear Armor is turned off, does the DNS lookups still go to it's server?

Or doesn't the router hand out DNS calls to multiple devices using it at the same time, without actually knowing what device called it? Like with the routing table or timing out if busy with other things?

So far I've just wiped the HOST file and recreated it again with the Spybot Immunity.

Message 10 of 33
Validus
Luminary

Spoke too soon, it occurred once again during the logging out of this site. Now to try capture it, because it doesn't occur twice in a row on the same thing, unless I clear out the cache (using CCleaner app).

Message 11 of 33
FURRYe38
Guru

@Validus wrote:

I'll try to capture it when it happens. It's hard to time and record or recreate it. Currently it's working fine again.

Last night and this morning it didn't occur at all, yet nothing else was also using the connection to stream or download. Steam has finished all it's game updates too. I suspect it's either multitasking or bandwidth hog requirement for the issue, unless there's something changed on Netgear's server side since I mentioned it with DNS lookups?

If the Netgear Armor is turned off, does the DNS lookups still go to it's server? We've seen Armor cause some problems, even after it's been disabled. Why we ask if it's ever been enabled, if so, we ask the you factory reset and setup from scratch. This seems to clear out any lingering Armor backend code from running, even after it was disabled. 

Or doesn't the router hand out DNS calls to multiple devices using it at the same time, without actually knowing what device called it? Like with the routing table or timing out if busy with other things?

So far I've just wiped the HOST file and recreated it again with the Spybot Immunity.

Message 12 of 33
FURRYe38
Guru

If you can capture the debug logs from the RBR, post them up on a cloud site like dropbox or something that you can send me the shared file link in a PM. 

Message 13 of 33
Validus
Luminary

Might try that factory reset on all (router and each of the satellites). Might be onto something and worth a try. I have performed power cycles with each firmware upgrade but not a full factory reset. This problem seems to of improved each firmware update, but still tailed around. So it could of been settings from an older version still remaining behind?

Before I do that, just checking my IPS setting requirements, it wants the following...

Operating mode: MDI/MDIX
PPP protocol: PPPoE
PPP auth type: PAP
PPP mode: Always on (dial on demand disabled)
Encapsulation: 802.1Q
PCP marking: 0
VID (or VLAN): 10
MTU: Auto or 1500

I'm not sure were to set the Operating mode as MDI/MDIX on the Netgear Orbi? Is this something I need to worry about or can ignore? Same deal with the Encapsulation and PCP marking?

Currently the settings on the Router are as follows...

Set to Router Mode

MTU size: 1492

NAT Filtering: Secured

Under WAN: IGMP Proxying is set to disabled (is this any problem, I'm wondering if it should be enabled?)

RIP Version: Disabled

Use Router as DHCP Server

Preferred NTP server: nz.pool.ntp.org

UPnP: Disabled
IPv6: Disabled
VLAN: Enabled (by VLAN tag group) VLAN ID: 10

Web Services Management: Always use HTTPS to Access Router

Message 14 of 33
FURRYe38
Guru

@Validus wrote:

Might try that factory reset on all (router and each of the satellites). Might be onto something and worth a try. I have performed power cycles with each firmware upgrade but not a full factory reset. This problem seems to of improved each firmware update, but still tailed around. So it could of been settings from an older version still remaining behind? Possible.

Before I do that, just checking my IPS setting requirements, it wants the following...

Operating mode: MDI/MDIX 
PPP protocol: PPPoE
PPP auth type: PAP
PPP mode: Always on (dial on demand disabled)
Encapsulation: 802.1Q
PCP marking: 0
VID (or VLAN): 10
MTU: Auto or 1500

I'm not sure were to set the Operating mode as MDI/MDIX on the Netgear Orbi?  Is this something I need to worry about or can ignore? Same deal with the Encapsulation and PCP marking? <Unknown possible automatic with Orbi.

Currently the settings on the Router are as follows...

Set to Router Mode

MTU size: 1492 <What required by the ISP?

NAT Filtering: Secured< You can try change to OPEN and see if the changes anything if not, change it back.

Under WAN: IGMP Proxying is set to disabled (is this any problem, I'm wondering if it should be enabled?) < You can try change to OPEN and see if the changes anything if not, change it back.

RIP Version: Disabled<Ok however DIRECTION maybe BOTH.

Use Router as DHCP Server

Preferred NTP server: nz.pool.ntp.org< Try setting default NG server.

UPnP: Disabled< Enable this please
IPv6: Disabled
VLAN: Enabled (by VLAN tag group) VLAN ID: 10

Web Services Management: Always use HTTPS to Access Router< Any differences seen if you disable this?

Message 15 of 33
Validus
Luminary

I made a typo in the previous post, IPS setting requirements was meant to be ISP (Internet Service Provider).

So they want MTU: Auto or 1500 (the Netgear Orbi has automatically set it as 1492, but seems fine I think)

I have currently just toggled the IGMP Proxying. Enabling that seems to of helped. I use a lot of IPTV and Netflix streaming across to the TV with a Nvidia Shield Pro. So I think that's smoothed out the load on that?

I was about to do the factory reset, but haven't had the DNS issue popup yet. Holding off to test one change at a time.

I've already tested Web Services Management: Always use HTTPS to Access Router, there's no difference if that's toggled on or off. Just that the URL //192.168.1.1 doesn't automatically redirect to https://192.168.1.1 before asking for the admin login. So it actually asks you to correctly login twice if using that.

Preferred NTP server has also been tested, changing that doesn't affect it.

Message 16 of 33
Validus
Luminary

DNS issue occurred once more, when two devices were running - Nvidia Shield Pro streaming IPTV and the desktop PC wired browsing the Internet via Microsoft Edge. Happened on a news webpage never visited before for just a split second.

So I factory reset the router.

Just a note about the Netgear Orbi App router setup, in regards to the Internet connection...

With the factory reset, it wanted to use the Netgear Orbi App. However, when it gets to the connecting to the internet stage of that app, it will end up in an endless cycle of checking. I suggest the app should ask firstly if you want to automatic detect or have manual settings. The advanced settings option doesn't have the VLAN setting which my ISP requires to connect.

I went desktop instead with a wired connection to setup the router. Same deal, will setup Satellites and the Wifi, but not connect to the Internet. Can bypass it into the advanced settings and once VLAN is set, it connects and works fine.

Everything is up and running again. UPnP is also currently enabled.

The DNS issue happened as soon as visiting the URL: https://www.google.co.nz/

Once the website is cached, it works fine every time. It's just non-cached webpages affected.

I did test Wifi devices before that, such as the Nvidia Shield Pro connecting to IPTV and my cellphone connection, etc.

Went back to the Netgear Orbi App and noticed some of the Wifi devices are incorrect. Like old leftover ones, some using the same name as other devices. Each of them had the IP Address: 0.0.0.0. So delete those from the list and cleaned up the Wifi device names. I wonder if that app messed the setting up before?

I'll flush the Desktop's DNS as well, just incase.

Message 17 of 33
FURRYe38
Guru

Sounds like the VLAN setup is needed during the setup phase for the setup app or orbi app to correctly complete. I guess you'll need to keep this in mind. 

Seems like un-cached sites/DNS shows this. I'll add this information to this bug report I posted. 

Message 18 of 33
Validus
Luminary

Fingers crossed might of finally fixed this DNS issue!

The factory reset and resetup of the VLAN seems to of worked well after the DNS Flush. There's been no issues since then.

UPnP I've disabled again, as I consider it a bit of a security risk

IGMP Proxying is enabled as that seems to help with streaming content

Manually cleaned up the Netgear Orbi App Wifi device list as well

I think it was mostly leftovers from the older firmware or first setup of the VLAN?

Otherwise, there was a bunch of blocks in the HOST file which even included blocking Google Analytics on webpages, leading to that error message which the entire page would display for a few second.

Soon after that I had noticed was a Websocket Status 101 - Switching Protocols...

Cache-Control: no-store, no-cache, must-revalidate, max-age=0
Connection: Upgrade
Content-Length: 0
Upgrade: websocket
Stalled

CAUTION: Request is not finished yet!

Not quite sure what that meant, but it's no longer occurring anymore. Has all been heavily tested now, but will reconfirm if resolved after a week or so usage.

Thanks for all your help @FURRYe38 

Message 19 of 33
FURRYe38
Guru

Ok, let us know how it goes. Hoping something go blown out and DNS starts working better for you. 

Keep an eye on that host file. Should not be lots of entries in there. Only some necessary ones that you or some specific app may have setup. 

If uPnP isn't needed then it's ok to disable. uPnP issues were resolved years ago. I've not seen any uPnP issues as I keep it enabled on my router, though I game online so I need it. 

Be sure to save off a back up configuration to file for safe keeping. Saves time if a reset is needed.
https://kb.netgear.com/000062080/How-do-I-back-up-the-configuration-settings-on-my-Orbi-WiFi-System

Message 20 of 33
Validus
Luminary

The DNS Error issue might still be there, but whatever triggered it has been greatly reduced. It almost doesn't happen at all anymore and is no longer a hassle for me.

Narrowed it down to the possible following requirements to trigger:

- IPv4 only (IPv6 is unaffected)

- VLAN 10 (?)

- Webpage with a script blocked on it via 0.0.0.0, either with an ad blocker, anti-virus, or the HOST file (HTTP STATUS blocked:other  isn't affected by it, rather needs to be status = net::ERR_NAME_NOT_RESOLVED or similar DNS error warning)

- An URL redirect or multiple webpages loading (it could be triggered by half loading a webpage, then quickly going to another, or perhaps using IPTV, Netflix, or Youtube streaming on a device, while going to a webpage on another)

- No DNS cache on those webpages (as soon as it's cached it will work fine every time after that)

- IP Address change might also trigger it (?)

What occurs is it's getting the valid error message from the script called/blocked on the webpage, but displays it over the entire webpage, then refreshes and loads the webpage as normal. There could be a slightly delay/hanging during this before the DNS error is displayed. The refresh is quite instant.

This only ever occurred on the PC and Laptop, never other devices such as the Smartphone while web-browsing on them. Both of those had Spybot originally installed with it's immunization and Spybot Anti-Beacon, which added blocks into the HOST file. Kaspersky Internet Security ad-blocker was also another cause of similar blocking which triggers this issue. It's just due to the way they block scripts on webpages with the Netgear Orbi Router react towards.

It is not affected by:

- uPnP

- IGMP Proxying (those this did help a lot, smooth out the large amounts of steaming -IPTV, Netflix and Youtube)

- Always use HTTPS to Access Route turned on or off

- Adblockers which use blockedother as the HTTP Status

Hope that might help, if any others have similar issues.

Message 21 of 33
FURRYe38
Guru

Any updates on this? 

FYI, there is new FW out in the wild...

@Validus 

Message 22 of 33
Validus
Luminary

@FURRYe38 I was still getting some random webpages displaying "Err_Name_Not_Resolved" before (few second displaying that message, then reloads the webpage normally).

My router and satellites appear to of been updated to version 4.6.8.2 automatically now. However, appears to of done so smoothly. Will see how it goes.

Message 23 of 33
Validus
Luminary

So far since firmware version 4.6.8.2 and a DNS flush, there has been no issues at all. I didn't even need to reboot the router. I don't want to jynx it but looks hopefully fixed!

Message 24 of 33
FURRYe38
Guru

Ok. Kewl. Lets give it 3 days and then let us know your findings. 

Message 25 of 33
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 32 replies
  • 8 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7