Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

DNS Issue with RBR750 and Firmware V4.6.5.14

RPhelps1
Guide

DNS Issue with RBR750 and Firmware V4.6.5.14

Upgraded my RBR750 Firmware yesterday to V4.6.5.14 and it deaulted my DNS to the ISP defaults.  I tried to change the DNS to 1.1.1.1 and the buttons are greyed out.  If I highlight the "Does your Internet COnnection require a login?" and put "YES" it will allow me to change the DNS address.  My ISP however does not require a login and this is a problem.  Can anyone let me know if this is also an issue for them and how to fix it or is this just another NG fix and break session?

Message 1 of 5

Accepted Solutions
RPhelps1
Guide

Re: DNS Issue with RBR750 and Firmware V4.6.5.14

I do not have Parental Controls turned on.  I did however fix my issue.  I reset the entire router to factory defaults for the sixth time and it finally worked.  It is very concerning that most of the time when Netgear does an update of firmware it requires the end user to jump through hoops to make it work.  Orbi is a great product however the service generally is sub-par at best.  Not what you like to see in an expensive product.

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 5

All Replies
FURRYe38
Guru

Netgear has set up a community forum specifically for the Orbi AX (WiFi 6) products. Most of the people who watch that forum are more likely to have experience with Orbi AX and know how to work it better than those of us who follow this "general Orbi" forum. Might be more likely to find someone who has a solution if the question is posted there:
https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi-AX/bd-p/en-home-orbi-ax

Is Armor or Smart Parental Controls enabled on the RBR? 

Please use this link to the main forum product list to review and choose where to make your posts. 
https://community.netgear.com/t5/NETGEAR-Forum/ct-p/en-netgear

Thank you

Message 2 of 5
CrimpOn
Guru

@RPhelps1 wrote:

Upgraded my RBR750 Firmware yesterday to V4.6.5.14 and it deaulted my DNS to the ISP defaults.  I tried to change the DNS to 1.1.1.1 and the buttons are greyed out.  If I highlight the "Does your Internet COnnection require a login?" and put "YES" it will allow me to change the DNS address.  My ISP however does not require a login and this is a problem.  Can anyone let me know if this is also an issue for them and how to fix it or is this just another NG fix and break session?

Does this Orbi have Parental Controls enabled?

Message 3 of 5
RPhelps1
Guide

I do not have Parental Controls turned on.  I did however fix my issue.  I reset the entire router to factory defaults for the sixth time and it finally worked.  It is very concerning that most of the time when Netgear does an update of firmware it requires the end user to jump through hoops to make it work.  Orbi is a great product however the service generally is sub-par at best.  Not what you like to see in an expensive product.

Message 4 of 5
FURRYe38
Guru

What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?

I would have also turned OFF the modem/ONT for 1 minute as well during the reset of the RBR. 

Please mark your thread as solved so others will know. 
Be sure to save off a back up configuration to file for safe keeping. Saves time if a reset is needed.
https://kb.netgear.com/000062080/How-do-I-back-up-the-configuration-settings-on-my-Orbi-WiFi-System

Be sure to visit the Orbi AX forum for your future needs.

Enjoy.

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7