Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: DNS errors RBK753

eliea
Aspirant

I am having the same issue and spent tons of time with support with no luck.
Before the newer version a support guy acknowledged it is a firmware issue and asked me to change ORBI to AP mode and the issue went away. Definitely with AP mode lots of functionality won’t be available including armor (armor is free for a year with Costco version). The guy promised that the issue will be solved after the firmware upgrade of Mid August.

I reverted back the AP mode to router mode and the issue is worst then before, tried all what you guys mentioned and nothing worked except AP mode. Spent again lots of time on the phone with support and no luck at all, and they never acknowledged after the latest firmware that this is a know issue.

Not sure what else can be done.
Message 26 of 85
Ace321
Apprentice

Only solution worked for me was setting static DNS in PC/device. I also spent time with NG support with no resolution. Hopefully, they will fix this in next firmware.

Message 27 of 85
FURRYe38
Guru

What Firmware version is currently loaded?
What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?

@eliea wrote:
Before the newer version a support guy acknowledged it is a firmware issue and asked me to change ORBI to AP mode and the issue went away. Definitely with AP mode lots of functionality won’t be available including armor (armor is free for a year with Costco version). The guy promised that the issue will be solved after the firmware upgrade of Mid August.

I reverted back the AP mode to router mode and the issue is worst then before, tried all what you guys mentioned and nothing worked except AP mode. Spent again lots of time on the phone with support and no luck at all, and they never acknowledged after the latest firmware that this is a know issue.

Message 28 of 85
campolo313
Apprentice

@eliea wrote:

Out of curiosity, who is your ISP? I have Comcast and use OpenDNS as my DNS Servers, and I haven't had a single DNS Error and I have the same system as you, RBK753S from Costco with Armor Enabled.  I can't imagine it being purely a firmware issue if I'm not having the same issues, it must be a combination of the DNS and Firmware.

Message 29 of 85
Ace321
Apprentice

I have same setup as you with Comcast. Tried these DNS as well. Swapped even with different router from Costco and still issue. Worked with NG and no resolution.
Message 30 of 85
FURRYe38
Guru

What happens if you disable Armor on your system, factory reset and don't enable Armor this time. Do you still see problems. 

Been many other posts about Armor causing DNS and connection problems. 

@campolo313 wrote:

Out of curiosity, who is your ISP? I have Comcast and use OpenDNS as my DNS Servers, and I haven't had a single DNS Error and I have the same system as you, RBK753S from Costco with Armor Enabled.  I can't imagine it being purely a firmware issue if I'm not having the same issues, it must be a combination of the DNS and Firmware.

Message 31 of 85
Ace321
Apprentice

Yes I tried that option as well with NG support.
Message 32 of 85
eliea
Aspirant

NG firmeware version is V3.2.16.6_1.4.4

ISP is AT&T with 1 Gbps connection

Manufacturer ARRIS
Model Number BGW210-700 

ONT Alcatel-Lucent G-010G-A

Message 33 of 85
eliea
Aspirant

After doing a factory reset Armor is enabled by default, I am not sure if there is a way around that.

@FURRYe38 wrote:

What happens if you disable Armor on your system, factory reset and don't enable Armor this time. Do you still see problems. 

@campolo313 wrote:

tired disabling Armor and issue remains. 

Message 34 of 85
campolo313
Apprentice

@FURRYe38 wrote:

@campolo313 wrote:

I don't think it would necessarily be Armor, I have Armor Enabled and don't have the issues.

Message 35 of 85
Ace321
Apprentice

Correct on firmware. My setup is
ISP: Comcast
Modem: Arris T25
Router: Orbi 753S
Message 36 of 85
campolo313
Apprentice

One difference I noted is the Modem, both @Ace321 and @eliea have Arris Modems, where I have Netgear CM1000.  I wonder if that could be impacting it.

Message 37 of 85
Ace321
Apprentice

My neighbor is on Motorola modem. He is having same issue. There is a possibility that Netgear modem plays well with Netgear Orbi.
Message 38 of 85
Mikey94025
Hero

I have the issue with Comcast, my modem/gateway is a CGM4331COM (Technicolor XB7).

These DNS issues are very intermittent and easy to miss because the browser usually retries automatically and recovers in under a second.  You cannot be sure you do not have the problem just by a little testing.  I usually notice it only every couple days, after multiple hours of web browsing each day.

Message 39 of 85
FURRYe38
Guru

Your Arris modem has a router and built in router already. This can cause some problems. 

This would be a double NAT (two router) condition which isn't recommended. https://kb.netgear.com/30186/What-is-Double-NAT
https://kb.netgear.com/30187/How-to-fix-issues-with-Double-NAT
Couple of options,
1. Configure the modem for transparent bridge or modem only mode. Then use the Orbi router in router mode. You'll need to contact the ISP for help and information in regards to the modem being bridged correctly.
2. If you can't bridge the modem, disable ALL wifi radios on the modem, configure the modems DMZ/ExposedHost or IP Pass-Through for the IP address the Orbi router gets from the modem. Then you can use the Orbi router in Router mode.
3. Or disable all wifi radios on the modem and connect the Orbi router to the modem, configure AP mode on the Orbi router. https://kb.netgear.com/31218/How-do-I-configure-my-Orbi-router-to-act-as-an-access-point and https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H7LOcJ8GdDo&app=desktop

ATT Modems:
https://www.f0il.com/how-to-arris-bgw210-700-modem-router-with-netgear-xr500-router/
https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/How-do-I-setup-bridge-mode-in-the-ARRIS-BGW210-700/m-p/1875994...
ATT Dumb Swiith Method:
https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi-AX/Orbi-AX-6000-and-AT-amp-T-fiber-gateway-issue/m-p/1890125/h...

@eliea wrote:

NG firmeware version is V3.2.16.6_1.4.4

ISP is AT&T with 1 Gbps connection

Manufacturer ARRIS
Model Number BGW210-700 

ONT Alcatel-Lucent G-010G-A

Message 40 of 85
Ace321
Apprentice

@FURRYe38 My ARRIS T25 does not have NAT issue and still see that issue.

@Mikey94025  I agree with you. My problem is exactly what you described. However, error is bit more frequent. Usually it is just annoyance. Some sites where Single sign is involved, will not load and I have to close the tab and try again.  

Message 41 of 85
FURRYe38
Guru

Ok thanks for let me know, I checked your model modem and yes it's a modem only. I'm referencing having a built in router for the other user eliea.

Thank you.

@Ace321 wrote:

@FURRYe38 My ARRIS T25 does not have NAT issue and still see that issue.

Message 42 of 85
eliea
Aspirant

Thank you !! Looks like the IP pass through solved the issue will confirm mid next week but so far the issue is gone.
Message 43 of 85
Ace321
Apprentice

IP pass though on your gateway modem? Not clear on your solution. Can you please explain what you did?
Message 44 of 85
FURRYe38
Guru

Good to hear that worked. Enjoy. Smiley Wink

@eliea wrote:
Thank you !! Looks like the IP pass through solved the issue will confirm mid next week but so far the issue is gone.

Message 45 of 85
FURRYe38
Guru

They have a built in router with the modem. They used IP-Passthru feature on the modem to help with there issue. Having a built in router at the modem causes a double NAT condition which isn't recommended if you use a external router like the RBR. 

Message 46 of 85
Ace321
Apprentice

That makes sense. It does not help me though. I have modem without any router capability and still see these issues. Thanks for clarifying.

Message 47 of 85
FURRYe38
Guru

Ya I know. Something between your modem and the RBR is being problematic. I would make contact with NG support about this. 

@Ace321 wrote:

That makes sense. It does not help me though. I have modem without any router capability and still see these issues. Thanks for clarifying.

Message 48 of 85
jj911c2
Tutor

I am having the same issue with DNS errors on the AX4200. Comcast Xfinity using the XB6 set in bridge mode and Orbi set up for automatic IP/DNS (it receives the Comcast DNS servers). I tried changing DNS manually to Google in Orbi settings but get same error. 

I have opened a support case with Netgear. 

Message 49 of 85
FURRYe38
Guru

Keep in contact with NG support. 

Good Luck. 

Message 50 of 85
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 84 replies
  • 6 kudos
  • 12 in conversation