Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

DNS errors RBK753

Ace321
Apprentice

DNS errors RBK753

have occasional DNS errors and reloading the page resolves it. Here is the link for details from other people who had same issue but no resolution was provided. Any ideas?

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi-AX/Intermittent-DNS-Errors-and-WiFi-Issues/m-p/1950768

Thanks

Message 1 of 85
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: DNS errors RBK753

What Firmware version is currently loaded?
What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?

Message 2 of 85
Ace321
Apprentice

1. Current firmware installed: V3.2.16.6_1.4.4
2. ISP: Comcast Xfinity
3. modem brand/model: Arris T25
4. I tried with Chrome, Safari and Microsoft edge. Saw same behavior.
5. I do not see the same behavior when directly connected to modem. In addition, I did not see this issue with my other Orbi router (RBK53).
Message 3 of 85
FURRYe38
Guru

Has a factory reset and setup from scratch and power OFF the ISP modem for 1 minute then back on been performed? 

What happens if you change to using manual DNS on the RBR from automatic to say:

Level 3: 4.2.2.1

Level 3: 4.2.2.2

Level 3: 4.2.2.4

Level 3: 4.2.2.5

or

OpenDNS: 208.67.220.123

OpenDNS: 208.67.220.220

OpenDNS: 208.67.220.222

I have now loaded my system with v6 FW, dirty update and no reset. I'll be putting mine online later this evening when all house occupants go to bed. I don't have the same modem though so results may differ.

Message 4 of 85
Ace321
Apprentice

I have done that and no improvements. However if I put static DNS at PC level, then problem gets resolved. Btw I was having same issue with previous version of firmware as well.
Message 5 of 85
FURRYe38
Guru

I would make contact wth NG support about this. Possible you may have a faulty RBR. 

Message 6 of 85
Ace321
Apprentice

Let me try with support. Looks like it is not a widespread issue and may be related to my defective hardware.

Message 7 of 85
Mikey94025
Hero

@Ace321 wrote:

Let me try with support. Looks like it is not a widespread issue and may be related to my defective hardware.

Agree, not faulty hardware and others (including me) have and still see it.

Message 8 of 85
FURRYe38
Guru

After going online with my system last nite, I have not seen any DNS issues thus far. I'm still giving it some time to see if anything appears for me though. Thought I don't have the same model modem you do and use a different ISP as well. 

@Ace321 wrote:

Message 9 of 85
Ace321
Apprentice

I just tried following 2 steps and it may have resolved the issue. However I need to wait for couple of days to confirm.

1) Hard reset router and satelites.

2) After reset step I set static DNS primary as 75.75.75.75 (Comcast) and Secondary DNS 208.67.222.222.

I tried step 2 without step 1 and it did not work. I tried hard reset without Step 2 and that solution did not work either.

If this continue to work, it may be a firmware issue vs hardware issue.

Message 10 of 85
FURRYe38
Guru

Ok, keep us posted. Possible ISP, DNS issue here as well with your specific ISP...

Message 11 of 85
campolo313
Apprentice

I've had this firmware since the weekend and I haven't had any DNS Issues pop up on my end.  I do change my DNS Servers to OpenDNS through the Router GUI and have IPv6 Enabled (also using OpenDNS).

Message 12 of 85
dtay
Luminary

@Ace321 wrote:

I just tried following 2 steps and it may have resolved the issue. However I need to wait for couple of days to confirm.

1) Hard reset router and satelites.

2) After reset step I set static DNS primary as 75.75.75.75 (Comcast) and Secondary DNS 208.67.222.222.

I tried step 2 without step 1 and it did not work. I tried hard reset without Step 2 and that solution did not work either.

If this continue to work, it may be a firmware issue vs hardware issue.

I'm watching this thread.  As a data point, for my Orbi units, I'm not using the ISP (Verizon FIOS) DNS servers but instead, have mine pointing to:

Primary: 1.1.1.1 - Cloudflare

Secondary: 8.8.4.4 - Google

Message 13 of 85
campolo313
Apprentice

One thing that I did to get the most optimal DNS Servers for my location was using a tool named DNS Benchmark.  It will test a bunch of different DNS Servers for you and spit out a report to let you know which ones are the most ideal, which ended up being OpenDNS for me.  I used to also use Google DNS, both of which outperformed the Comcast DNS Servers in my area.

Message 14 of 85
dtay
Luminary

@campolo313 wrote:

One thing that I did to get the most optimal DNS Servers for my location was using a tool named DNS Benchmark.  It will test a bunch of different DNS Servers for you and spit out a report to let you know which ones are the most ideal, which ended up being OpenDNS for me.  I used to also use Google DNS, both of which outperformed the Comcast DNS Servers in my area.

Regarding DNS Benchmark, is it this?  Thanks for the tip!

https://www.grc.com/dns/benchmark.htm

Message 15 of 85
campolo313
Apprentice

@dtay wrote:

@campolo313 wrote:

Yup! That's the one

Message 16 of 85
dtay
Luminary

@campolo313 wrote:

@dtay wrote:

@campolo313 wrote:

Yup! That's the one

I installed and ran it and was surprised at the results; I would have thought the "big boys" such as Google, OpenDNS, etc. would be the top but instead I see a lot of names that I don't recognize as being the fastest:

1st place: 129.250.35.250 - x.ns.gin.ntt.net - NTT-COMMUNICATIONS-2194

2nd place: 156.154.70.1 - rdns1.ultradns.net - ULTRADNS

3rd to 5th place were ULTRANDNS servers

6th place was NTT-COMMUNICATIONS again

7th place was ULTRADNS

8th place was OPENDNS

9th place was ULTRADNS

10th place was OPENDNS

Interesting!

Message 17 of 85
FURRYe38
Guru

I recommend running any DNS benchmarks with a wired PC directly connected to the ISP modem or ONT. Running behind a router could cause inaccurate results. I used to use Googles DNS Namebench years ago. Good program. 

Message 18 of 85
Ace321
Apprentice

Update: Although frequency of errors have reduced significantly but they still happen when visiting a new website (not in cache). I am going to get a replacement from Costco, test and provide an update.

Message 19 of 85
FURRYe38
Guru

Sounds good, let us know how it goes. 

I have not seen any DNS issues thus far. I did try a few new sites as well, places I don't normally go. CNN and such. All came up quickly. 

Message 20 of 85
Mikey94025
Hero

@Ace321 wrote:

Update: Although frequency of errors have reduced significantly but they still happen when visiting a new website (not in cache). I am going to get a replacement from Costco, test and provide an update.

I also still see it with my RBR50 and the latest V3.2.16.6_1.4.4 firmware.  I don't believe it is a hardware issue.  You can't fix it by changing the Orbi DNS settings.  The only thing I've found to make it go away is setting my Windows network connection properties DNS to point directly to the external DNS server IP address (and not gateway/router IP).  Fortunately, this is a minor inconvenience during browser sessions and my browser automatically retries after a very short interval (less than a second).

Message 21 of 85
FURRYe38
Guru

I would make contact with NG support and let them know what your seeing and having problems with. Seems like this maybe a FW, ISP service issue that is specific with the ISP you guys are using. NG should be able to correct this. Be sure to capture debug logs. 

Message 22 of 85
Ace321
Apprentice

I never had this issue on my RBR50 though. As soon as I switched to RBR750, I started having this issue. If I switch back to RBR50, issue goes away.
Message 23 of 85
Ace321
Apprentice

I did contact NG support and provided all details. They have escalated my case and going though this with senior tech. No resolution yet.
Message 24 of 85
FURRYe38
Guru

Ok, keep in contact with them then. Fix won't be over night, so please be patient. Have them help you collect debug logs if they haven't already. Hopefully they can fix it as soon as possible. 

Message 25 of 85
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 84 replies
  • 6 kudos
  • 12 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7