Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

DNS errors RBK753

ManuilTonev
Tutor

Re: DNS errors RBK753

Yes but why would that be a problem? Each web request goes through a number of routers at each hop to the destination. When I connect directly to the cable box's wifi, there are no problems. But when I go through the NG router that is wired to the cable box, then hickups appear. What could be clashing between the two?

I wish I had another network to test if the NG will work fine if not connected to the Altice.

Message 76 of 85
FURRYe38
Guru

Thats a problem, having more then 1 router on the same line in the home can cause problems. 

Your ISP Modem already has a build in router and wifi. This would be a double NAT (two router) condition which isn't recommended. https://kb.netgear.com/30186/What-is-Double-NAT
https://kb.netgear.com/30187/How-to-fix-issues-with-Double-NAT
Couple of options,
1. Configure the modem for transparent bridge or modem only mode. Then use the Orbi router in router mode. You'll need to contact the ISP for help and information in regards to the modem being bridged correctly.
2. If you can't bridge the modem, disable ALL wifi radios on the modem, configure the modems DMZ/ExposedHost or IP Pass-Through for the IP address the Orbi router gets from the modem. Then you can use the Orbi router in Router mode.
3. Or disable all wifi radios on the modem and connect the Orbi router to the modem, configure AP mode on the Orbi router. https://kb.netgear.com/31218/How-do-I-configure-my-Orbi-router-to-act-as-an-access-point and https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H7LOcJ8GdDo&app=desktop

You might try option#2 first...

Message 77 of 85
eliea
Aspirant

Already tried the path through and it did not work. Orbi support are still working on the issue they already asked me to try lots of things with no luck. Case was open with orbi support since September and so far no resolution.
Message 78 of 85
FURRYe38
Guru

You'll need to keep in contact with NG support. Keep on them about this. 

Message 79 of 85
eliea
Aspirant

I am on top of it
Message 80 of 85
ManuilTonev
Tutor

Thank you so much. I got Optimum to enable Bridge mode, the Orbi got a public IP but the issue still persist. I.e. not related to the double NAT-ing but likely a router issue (since it does not happen if I connect to the ISP Box's network/WiFi or I tether through my phone's data).

Meanwhile, the ISP seems to have their own range extender smart wifi solution. I will give that a try and, if it works, will cut my losses with the NetGear and return it to Costco.

Message 81 of 85
FURRYe38
Guru

NG need to look into this.

@Blanca_O 

Good Luck

Message 82 of 85
DNS_PROBE_FAIL
Luminary

Furry is 100% correct.  You need to call Netgear support and tell them to fix this.  That is the only way this will get resolved is if enough people complain.

The issues are very well documented and my support case has proven it to them, while they were connected to my computer.  I could recreate it fairly easily and make it go away by switching to IPv6 but that doesn't help the devices on the network that are IPv4 only.

Please call NG support and make them fix their bad firmware. 

Message 83 of 85
ManuilTonev
Tutor

100% agree - NG needs to get their act together on this.

On my part - I am retunring my NG, not worth my time and efforts anymore. After wasting several hours on the phone with their support just to upgrade firmware with no benefit, I pulled the plug. I have switched to my ISP's (Optimum) mesh network solution and it works comparably well without the annoyances of NG denying to serve web pages at random. 

Message 84 of 85
FURRYe38
Guru

Good luck. 

Message 85 of 85
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 84 replies
  • 6 kudos
  • 12 in conversation
Announcements