Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Daisy Or Star Options

MB77arlo
Aspirant

Daisy Or Star Options

Looking at posts and help it suggests there is an option to disable daisy chain networking.
I have a setup with main router in the middle floor , one satellite on bottom and one on the top floor so a star setup seems logical.
It was using Star but looking at the network page after updating to latest firmware I had both a poor back haul and noticed the bottom satellite was connected to the top floor satellite. It also shows the top floor satellite as wired which it isn’t.
I’ve seen this on another setup in reverse where a top floor satellite is trying to use star when it will never reach abs needs to daisy chain.
Message 1 of 6

Accepted Solutions
MB77arlo
Aspirant

Re: Daisy Or Star Options

So I have jsut found another post that clearly explains that there are no options for daisy or star and it will select what it thinks is best though makes no sense on this setup given the distances. 

Still confused how the top satellite says its a wired when it clearly isn't. The app and website seem a little buggy with incorrect info at times even on this newer version. Still had a ghost satellite yesterday and had to remove again.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 6

All Replies
MB77arlo
Aspirant

So I have jsut found another post that clearly explains that there are no options for daisy or star and it will select what it thinks is best though makes no sense on this setup given the distances. 

Still confused how the top satellite says its a wired when it clearly isn't. The app and website seem a little buggy with incorrect info at times even on this newer version. Still had a ghost satellite yesterday and had to remove again.

Message 2 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

Actually, it depends on placement of the RBS from the RBR. If you place two or more RBS out from the RBR separately in a star formation, the system will run Star formation. If you place RBS out in a line from each other from the RBR, and turn them ON 1 at a time from inner RBS to outter RBS, then Diasy Chain will be used. 

Message 3 of 6
MB77arlo
Aspirant

Yes I think that is my point. Mine is setup in a star formation with the rotuer and lower satellite nearer then the upper satellite.

Also the upper satellite shows as wired and its not.

It was in star and after latest update seemed to change so will keep an eye on it and performance.

Middle floor at front RBR

Lower floor at back RBS

Upper floor at Front / middle RBS

Message 4 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
What is the distance between the router and 📡 satellite(s)? 30 feet or more is recommended in between RBR and RBS📡 to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected.
https://kb.netgear.com/31029/Where-should-I-place-my-Orbi-satellite 📡

Message 5 of 6
raven_au
Virtuoso

@MB77arlo wrote:

I don't know the actual orientation of the antenna inside the Orbi but keep in mind the closer to directly above or below the Orbi router will (probably) have a poor signal.

So it may be that another satellite does appear to have a better signal for a satelite than you think, even though you expect it to have a better signal from the Orbi router.

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7