Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Devices connected to Satellite RBS850 loses WLAN connection

DanyP
Aspirant

Devices connected to Satellite RBS850 loses WLAN connection

Hello all,
have a RBS850 in the attic. This is connected by wire to the LAN. Since I moved the RBR850 router to a different location in the basement, the devices connected to the RBS850 keep losing the wireless connection and then connecting to the RBR850.
My assumption is that the RBS850 connects to the RBR850 via WLAN and thus the problem occurs.
Affected by the problem are Windows PC and Apple devices.

Both have the latest firmware: v4.6.8.5_2.1.9
The whole network is based on netgear components

Does anyone know the problem? Thanks for the support.

Message 1 of 18

Accepted Solutions
DanyP
Aspirant

Re: Devices connected to Satellite RBS850 loses WLAN connection

I think the problem is solved. I have not experienced another wifi outage since 24 hrs. I have deactivated the RBS850 again and reactivated it after about an hour. During the activation I pressed the reset button. In difference I used a paper clip and not the wire which I had used before. I was clearly paying attention to whether the button was responding or not. It takes about 20 minutes until the RBS850 was back online. I thank everyone for the support. If I do not contact you again the problem is solved.

View solution in original post

Message 15 of 18

All Replies
FURRYe38
Guru

What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
What is the distance between the router and 📡 satellite(s)? 30 feet or more is recommended in between RBR and RBS📡 to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected.
https://kb.netgear.com/31029/Where-should-I-place-my-Orbi-satellite 📡

What channels are you using? Auto? Try Auto and 48 on 5Ghz. Or try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and 40 to 48 channel on 5Ghz.
Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?

Message 2 of 18
DanyP
Aspirant

The service provider cannot have any influence on the problem, if I am connected to the same switch as the RBS850 via LAN wire, I have a communication without interruption.

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?: Basement floor - 1 and roof floor floor 3

What is the distance between the router and  satellite(s)?: There is only one satellite and it is on the 3rd floor. That is about 7 - 10 meters. And as mentioned before, the RBS850 is also directly attached to the LAN by wire.

What channels are you using?: I use the defaults for the WLAN settings.

Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?: We live in a housing estate and there are various WLANs in the area. Actually I see between 7  other WLANS

Message 3 of 18
CrimpOn
Guru

@DanyP wrote:

have a RBS850 in the attic. This is connected by wire to the LAN. Since I moved the RBR850 router to a different location in the basement, the devices connected to the RBS850 keep losing the wireless connection and then connecting to the RBR850.
My assumption is that the RBS850 connects to the RBR850 via WLAN and thus the problem occurs.

This RBS850 remains connected to the router with Ethernet cable after the router was moved?

Does the web administration Attached Devices show the satellite connection as Wired?

Message 4 of 18
Mikey94025
Hero

@DanyP wrote:

if I am connected to the same switch as the RBS850 via LAN wire,

Is there a switch between your RBR850 and RBS850?  If yes, what is the brand and model (we have had issues particularly with managed switches that cause satellite disconnects)?  Explaining your network topology details will help the community diagnose other possible root causes.

Message 5 of 18
FURRYe38
Guru

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft or Sq Meters?

What CAT# lan cable are you using? CAT6 is recommended.

@DanyP wrote:

The service provider cannot have any influence on the problem, if I am connected to the same switch as the RBS850 via LAN wire, I have a communication without interruption.

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?: Basement floor - 1 and roof floor floor 3

What is the distance between the router and  satellite(s)?: There is only one satellite and it is on the 3rd floor. That is about 7 - 10 meters. And as mentioned before, the RBS850 is also directly attached to the LAN by wire.

What channels are you using?: I use the defaults for the WLAN settings.

Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?: We live in a housing estate and there are various WLANs in the area. Actually I see between 7  other WLANS

Message 6 of 18
DanyP
Aspirant

This RBS850 remains connected to the router with Ethernet cable after the router was moved? - YES

Does the web administration Attached Devices show the satellite connection as Wired? - YES

Message 7 of 18
DanyP
Aspirant

There are two switches between the RBR850 and the RBS850. Firs node GS108Ev3 and second node GS105Ev2, both with the latest firmware.

Message 8 of 18
DanyP
Aspirant

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft or Sq Meters? - 40m2 per floor

What CAT# lan cable are you using? CAT6 is recommended. - CAT7

Message 9 of 18
Mikey94025
Hero

> Since I moved the RBR850 router to a different location in the basement, the devices connected to the RBS850 keep losing the wireless connection and then connecting to the RBR850.

OK, nothing in your home network topology seems off.  Can you be more specific about the issue you're reporting:

1. Is it just that your devices (Windows PC and Apple devices) are connecting wireless to the more distant RBR instead of the RBS?
  2. Do you lose internet connectivity on your devices when this occurs?  Or is there a noticeable performance drop?

Many Orbi clients ask why their devices don't connect to the closest RBS and often this is just because all of the Orbi units are broadcasting a strong signal (reducing power is a frequent recommendation).  However if your devices are losing internet connectivity then that is a different issue to diagnose.

Message 10 of 18
FURRYe38
Guru

Can you disconnect the RBS from the switches and see if the behavior changes? 

What is the distance between the router and 📡 satellite(s)? 30 feet or more is recommended in between RBR and RBS📡 to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected.

@DanyP wrote:

There are two switches between the RBR850 and the RBS850. Firs node GS108Ev3 and second node GS105Ev2, both with the latest firmware.

Message 11 of 18
DanyP
Aspirant

It's not about the loss to the Internet. All devices lose contact with the RBS850. How can the performance of a WLAN account be adjusted?

Message 12 of 18
DanyP
Aspirant

I did. The RBS850 has connected to the RBR850 via WLAN. The quality of the connection is output as 'poor'. The behavior is the same as when the RBS850 is on the LAN. Suddenly the connection is gone.

Message 13 of 18
FURRYe38
Guru

If your RBS is in the attic, is this attic space well cooled and ventilated? 

Sounds like you may have a faulty RBS. 

I would contact NG support and see what your options are:

https://my.netgear.com/support/contact.aspx

Message 14 of 18
DanyP
Aspirant

I think the problem is solved. I have not experienced another wifi outage since 24 hrs. I have deactivated the RBS850 again and reactivated it after about an hour. During the activation I pressed the reset button. In difference I used a paper clip and not the wire which I had used before. I was clearly paying attention to whether the button was responding or not. It takes about 20 minutes until the RBS850 was back online. I thank everyone for the support. If I do not contact you again the problem is solved.

Message 15 of 18
FURRYe38
Guru

Glad you got it working. Please mark your thread as solved so others will know. Be sure to save off a back up configuration to file for safe keeping. Saves time if a reset is needed.
https://kb.netgear.com/000062080/How-do-I-back-up-the-configuration-settings-on-my-Orbi-WiFi-System
Enjoy. 📡

Message 16 of 18
DanyP
Aspirant

The problem isn't solved. Since this week I have many outages. I'll contact the support.

Message 17 of 18
FURRYe38
Guru

You might update FW as well:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi-WiFi-6-AX-and-WiFi-6E-AXE/New-RBR850-RBS850-Firmware-Version-4...

v.5 has known issues with mysterious reboots and disconnections. 

Message 18 of 18
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 17 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7