Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Devices not connecting to RBS750 satellites

bvkuijck
Follower

Devices not connecting to RBS750 satellites

I know this is a topic that is discussed quite often. But I can't seem to get a hang of it.
I've got a RBR750 and 2 RBS750 satellites. The router is in the center of the house and the satellites are around 10 meters (~ 32 feet) away from the RBR.
Current firmware version for router + satellites: V4.6.5.14

The satellites are wirelessly connected to the router.

But every single device connects to the router even devices that are only a meter (~ 3 feet) away from a satellite.
What I've tried:

- Removing / re-adding the satellites
- Setting the transmit power for 2.4/5Ghz to 50% (results in devices not even being able to connect to the wifi)

- Mac access control is disabled

I might as well remove the satellites.

Any other suggestions? I'm at the verge of replacing this setup with something else and avoid purchasing Netgear products in the future.

Message 1 of 3
plemans
Guru

Re: Devices not connecting to RBS750 satellites

do the satellites work if you hardwire a pc/laptop into them? 

The orbi itself doesn't move devices around. Its on the device's own roaming protocol to roam from router to satellite. 

Message 2 of 3
FarmerBob1
Luminary

Re: Devices not connecting to RBS750 satellites

What you're asking for, which I wish we had, is called "Client Steering". Which is akin to "Band Steering". I just let things, what I call, "settle" and find their way to the better AP to connect to. I look at the apps after a while to see who's latched onto where and more than not am entertained to see who's where and wonder why . . .

This article, although it mostly explains "Band Steering", ends with a small paragraph explaining that "Band Steering", that we are more familiar with, is part of "Client Steering": "Why Band Steering Means Better WiFi?" 

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7