Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Enable Email Logging and Router Reboots

FURRYe38
Guru

You can update or hold on with v.2. 

NG IS aware of this issue. We've made it CLEAR to them. 

@dtay wrote:

It's ridiculous that we have to "beta test" what is a production firmware and to come up with "workarounds" just to fix Netgear's lack of quality control.  Should we just hold off on this firmware update?  I'm still on V4.6.8.2_2.1.9 which I had to do a factory reset/restore config to fix the web admin/app admin lock out fiasco.

Message 26 of 56
TC_in_Montana
Virtuoso

If this was any other company, they will be burning the midnight oil to find and fix the issue. With NG we will be lucky to get a "fix" in about 2 months optimistically.

@codejanitor    If you think that Netgear is not working towards a solution for this, you are mistaken.  Unfortunately, sometimes it takes a while to find the problem, then a solution to that problem, then get it tested internally and externally.

I do agree it is taking a long time but as an IT professional for over 45 years, I also know that sometimes it isn't as easy as people want to think it is - and fixing something while insuring you don't break something else can be quite tedious and difficult.

We are all looking forward to the correct solution to be provided.   But I would rather wait and get the RIGHT solution, than have NG rush a fix out that causes other issues.   We all know that exact thing has happened multiple times in the past and not rushing a half-baked solution is most likely the direction NG engineers have been given from higher ups.

Message 27 of 56
SeaRefractor
Apprentice

This fix is amazing!   It's been stable for the longest I can remember, 13 days!

RBR750 WiFi Access Point

Basic Information

Firmware Version: V4.6.8.5_2.1.9

dumaos: v3.0.410

seal: v2.1.5.37-2

seal_services: v2.1.5.12-0

armor-bd: v2.2.100.3

spc-circle: v3.25.0.2

CPU Load: 31.10%

Memory Usage(Used/Total): 404 MB/874 MB

System Uptime: 13 days 03:08:02

Message 28 of 56
FURRYe38
Guru

Nice. 

Were hoping NG can get this fixed so email logs don't have to be used. No idea when that will be though. 

Message 29 of 56
Scaramouche
Tutor

You got me beat - 3 days.  No, wait - back down.  Yep, 3 days....

Message 30 of 56
d700
Apprentice

FYI, my 753 system has been up for 10 days since installing V4.6.8.5_2.1.9. I do NOT have email logging turned on.

Message 31 of 56
FURRYe38
Guru

Good to hear. 
What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?

How many RBS do you have deployed? 

How many devices do you have connected?

@d700 wrote:

FYI, my 753 system has been up for 10 days since installing V4.6.8.5_2.1.9. I do NOT have email logging turned on.

Message 32 of 56
PuppyCrack
Aspirant

What was the fix? Just the firmware?
Message 33 of 56
FURRYe38
Guru

For what? 

Whats in this thread is as fix for mysterious reboots on RBRs for those that are seeing this. There are some that are not having any problems with reboots so this fix is not needed. 

@PuppyCrack wrote:
What was the fix? Just the firmware?

Message 34 of 56
d700
Apprentice

Verizon fios Ont (no router)

2 satellites 

@40 devices 

13 days uptime as of today

Message 35 of 56
SeaRefractor
Apprentice

Tack on another week for me.    So interesting how the logs appear to be the source of the issue, I suspect the email logging has a house cleaning process that happens to prevent some kind of system process leak that occurs with the log process?

Hopefully this is located and fixed long term, but the work around has made my Orbi experience like it was when I'd purchased the RBK753 over a year ago.   

Message 36 of 56
Scaramouche
Tutor

I solved all my Orbi problems, firmware and otherwise.  Now using an ASUS mesh.  It's been real NetGear, and it's been fun, but it hasn't been real fun....

Message 37 of 56
FURRYe38
Guru

You can disable mail logging if you don't wan't to received emails and system should keep going. It's only when a factory reset and setup from scratch and don't re-enable email logging does the problem re-appear. 

@SeaRefractor wrote:

Tack on another week for me.    So interesting how the logs appear to be the source of the issue, I suspect the email logging has a house cleaning process that happens to prevent some kind of system process leak that occurs with the log process?

Hopefully this is located and fixed long term, but the work around has made my Orbi experience like it was when I'd purchased the RBK753 over a year ago.   

Message 38 of 56
SeaRefractor
Apprentice

OK, the email logging does help immensely, but there's clearly something in addition that causes a reboot.

After several weeks, just had one minutes ago and when I check Debug.htm:

Basic Information

CPU Load: 39.67%

Memory Usage(Used/Total): 362 MB/874 MB

System Uptime: 0 days 00:12:16

Too bad no logs are provided that I have access to that shows whatever process or system either stalled or whatever.

Message 39 of 56
SeaRefractor
Apprentice

Still a reboot every couple of weeks is a far cry better than multiple times per day.  🙂

Message 40 of 56
FURRYe38
Guru

👍

Thanks for letting us know your duration time frame. Gives us an idea of how long it helps. Ya better than hours. 

Will pushing for a fix. Please be patient. 

Message 41 of 56
tiangao
Aspirant

Hi all,

Here is my experience with this quick fix.

I have 1x RBR850 and 3x RBS850 with 70+ connected devices on my network.

All was working fine for the 12 months I've had this setup and suddenly on July 14th the router started to drop connection from the internet fiber gateway as well as dropping DHCP to all connected devices.

I upgraded my whole setup to Firmware Version 4.6.8.5, did a factory reset on the RBR850, applied all my previous parameters from a backup, and enabled the Email Logging quick fix as described.

It did work for 1 day and then connection dropping problem came back.

My second attempt has been working since 4 days and here is what I did.

Factory reset the RBR850, re-created my parameters configuration from scratch and not from a backup, applied the Email Logging quick fix with a emailing frequency every hour instead of every day.

I am guessing the process of emailing logs is clearing out file space thus preventing the RBR850 to go in the buggy mode.

And because I have 70+ connected device, I have to run this process on an hourly basis instead of daily basis.

Hope this helps.

I almost dropped my Orbi setup to buy something else, this forum was quite helpful.

Looking forward to the new firmware version with the permanent fix.

Message 42 of 56
FURRYe38
Guru

Be sure to make a new back up since you FR and set up from scratch. 

Yes NG knows of this issue with the RBR reboot, logging and email logging. 

You have a lot of device so I guess you need to email log hourly. You can try disabling email logging and see if the system continues to work ok. I found that after I had email logging enabled and the system worked for 3 days, I just unchecked the disable box for email logging and the system continued to work with out any reboots. Only when I FR and setup again did the reboots return. 

Ya, no idea when that fix will come in. 

Message 43 of 56
tiangao
Aspirant

Considering the work to redo the set-up from scratch, I have obviously done a parameters backup.

The time spent on this is worth to me more than the hardware, so I am not touching anything until the next firmware !

Hope that Netgear learns from this and put more ressources into firmware development.

At that price point, we are expecting stuff that just work.

Message 44 of 56
FURRYe38
Guru

Ya we get that. 

Just letting you now about the back up and email. 

Here's hoping though. 

Message 45 of 56
mcgarryv
Tutor

I am delighted to have found this page. Thanks very much for the excellent suggestions.

Like many, my Orbri RBR750  was randomly rebooting a few times a day.

I did the following: 1) Configured the gmail setings correctly 2) Enabled emailing of the log day 3) Updated to the latest F/W.

My router has bee running for  > 3 days now without issue:

Basic Information

Firmware Version: V4.6.8.5_2.1.9

dumaos: v3.0.410

seal: v2.1.5.37-2

seal_services: v2.1.5.12-0

armor-bd: v2.2.100.3

spc-circle: v3.25.0.2

CPU Load: 12.80%

Memory Usage(Used/Total): 331 MB/874 MB

System Uptime: 3 days 10:06:11

Message 46 of 56
FURRYe38
Guru

Glad you got it working. Be sure to save off a back up configuration to file for safe keeping. Saves time if a reset is needed.
https://kb.netgear.com/000062080/How-do-I-back-up-the-configuration-settings-on-my-Orbi-WiFi-System
Enjoy. 📡

Message 47 of 56
cdp1276
Star

And just to give you more confidence of stability mine is at 39 days and the only reason not longer is I updated the latest firmware but before this was up for weeks as well...

Basic Information

CPU Load: 11.65%

Memory Usage(Used/Total): 392 MB/874 MB

System Uptime: 39 days 12:06:19

Message 48 of 56
FURRYe38
Guru

Very nice. 👍

Message 49 of 56
gamenlegend
Guide

Not perfect but better than before.  Implemented this "fix" yesterday evening.  So far maybe 3 reboots (just had one a moment ago).

A real fix would definitely be nice.  3 in almost two days is better than 15-20 a day.  0 is the goal 😕

Message 50 of 56
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7