Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Enforcing ethernet backhaul with RBK752

st1led-
Aspirant

Enforcing ethernet backhaul with RBK752

I just bought an RBK752, i.e., the dual setup router + satellite. I am using the router as my main router as I scrapped the crappy one from my ISP. I am running with what I believe is the latest firmware (V3.2.16.6_1.4.4)

The router is connected to the WAN cable (yellow port), and to an ethernet cable going towards a wall socket.

The satellite is connected to the wall ethernet socket (by the port closest to the power cable) and to an Android TV device (via the other ethernet port).

Everything is functional, but in the router configuration page (the "connection type" column) I see that the satellite and the router are connected via 5GHz WiFi, while the Android TV is correctly reported as connected via wire.

It looks to me that the satellite is using the 5GHz backhaul. Is there any way to enforce the satellite and the router to communicate via ethernet?

Message 1 of 7

Accepted Solutions
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Enforcing ethernet backhaul with RBK752

If you have the RBS ethernet connected, then it will connect primarily via ethernet, however if it's ethernet connected and not using the wired backhaul, then there is a problem in the following areas:

RBS should be wirelessly synced first, then ethernet connected afterwards.

RBS is connected to a different router thats in parallel with the RBR. ALL RBS have to be directly or indirectly connected behind the RBR for correct sync and proper backhaul use. https://kb.netgear.com/000051205/What-is-Ethernet-backhaul-and-how-do-I-set-it-up-on-my-Orbi-WiFi-Sy...

Bad ethernet cable in use between the RBS and RBR or switch. 

Kind of LAN switch being used between the RBS and RBR is faulty.

Kind of LAN switch being used between the RBS and RBR is managed and IGMP protocoles are in use on this switch and should be disabled.

Kind of LAN switch being used between the RBS and RBR has green ethernet features that maybe incompatible with Orbi systems.

The following branded and model switches have been tested personally by me and work well with Orbi systems:

NG GS-105/108v4, D-Link DGS-105/108 and HP ProCurve 1400/1800 series

@st1led- wrote:

I just bought an RBK752, i.e., the dual setup router + satellite. I am using the router as my main router as I scrapped the crappy one from my ISP. I am running with what I believe is the latest firmware (V3.2.16.6_1.4.4)

The router is connected to the WAN cable (yellow port), and to an ethernet cable going towards a wall socket.

The satellite is connected to the wall ethernet socket (by the port closest to the power cable) and to an Android TV device (via the other ethernet port).

Everything is functional, but in the router configuration page (the "connection type" column) I see that the satellite and the router are connected via 5GHz WiFi, while the Android TV is correctly reported as connected via wire.

It looks to me that the satellite is using the 5GHz backhaul. Is there any way to enforce the satellite and the router to communicate via ethernet?

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 7

All Replies
Chuck_M
Mentor

Unfortunately no.

Message 2 of 7
st1led-
Aspirant

I'm actually rather surprised by this -- seems rather absurd to me.

Isn't an ethernet backhaul basically always better than a wifi one? Why would the satellite choose to connect via wifi to the router when there's an ethernet port available? I get it's tri-band and hence the 5GHz backhaul doesn't clog the 5GHz that end-user devices use, but I can't see a reason for why this should happen.

Message 3 of 7
FURRYe38
Guru

If you have the RBS ethernet connected, then it will connect primarily via ethernet, however if it's ethernet connected and not using the wired backhaul, then there is a problem in the following areas:

RBS should be wirelessly synced first, then ethernet connected afterwards.

RBS is connected to a different router thats in parallel with the RBR. ALL RBS have to be directly or indirectly connected behind the RBR for correct sync and proper backhaul use. https://kb.netgear.com/000051205/What-is-Ethernet-backhaul-and-how-do-I-set-it-up-on-my-Orbi-WiFi-Sy...

Bad ethernet cable in use between the RBS and RBR or switch. 

Kind of LAN switch being used between the RBS and RBR is faulty.

Kind of LAN switch being used between the RBS and RBR is managed and IGMP protocoles are in use on this switch and should be disabled.

Kind of LAN switch being used between the RBS and RBR has green ethernet features that maybe incompatible with Orbi systems.

The following branded and model switches have been tested personally by me and work well with Orbi systems:

NG GS-105/108v4, D-Link DGS-105/108 and HP ProCurve 1400/1800 series

@st1led- wrote:

Message 4 of 7
Chuck_M
Mentor

You forgot to mention you cannot disable the wireless backhaul.  It is always there regardless of if you use it or not.

Message 5 of 7
st1led-
Aspirant

Thanks guys for your answers. Of course, it's a not a problem for the wireless backhaul to be always on, as long as the ethernet one is used when the satellite is wired!

I tried to debug the issue, and I finally found out that the wall socket is malfunctioning. When I connected it to my laptop, it initally showed a slow speed (90/90 while my connection runs at 750/750 normally), and then when I plugged it on/off a few times it just stopped working. I tested the setup on another wall socket and it works as expected, which now leaves me to find a clue on why the socket isn't working.

Message 6 of 7
FURRYe38
Guru

Glad you found the problem. Please mark your thread as solved so others will know.

Enjoy. Smiley Wink

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7