Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Ethernet Backhaul on AX6000 (RBK854)

mjsmith1568
Aspirant

Ethernet Backhaul on AX6000 (RBK854)

Hi Everyone. I'm looking to replace my current Velop 802.11ax mesh system with another and have a specific question on wired backhaul. Velop support this, but the system must first be setup wirelessly and the wired after the fact. This makes Ethernet backhaul useless in my opinion because you have to have a wireless connection to one other satellite before connecting them to Ethernet, but if I had that situation, I wouldn't need to connect via wire in the first place.

Does the Orbi AX6000 (RBK854) system have the same limitation, or can I connect the satellites to my Ethernet switch so each satellite has a wired signal back to the router?

Message 1 of 4

Accepted Solutions
FURRYe38
Guru

@mjsmith1568 wrote:

Hi Furry,

Before I accept as a solution, I just want to make sure I understand the process correctly. Yes. 

1. Near the router, plug in the satellite and setup wirelessly according to the instructions. Yes, or after the RBS is wirelessly synced, plug an ethernet cable in between the RBR and RBS while near the RBR to make sure the RBS is working ethernet connected. 

2. completely unplug the satellite, diconnecting from power, and move to its intended room near power and ethernet connection. Yes.

3. Connect to power and ethernet and when the satellite powers back up, it will be still be joined to the network and you won't need to set it up again. Yes. 

Is this basically correct? Yes.

I had thought that this limitation meant that a satellite always needed a wireless connection to at least one other satellite/router for the wired backhaul channel to work. No. 

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 4

All Replies
FURRYe38
Guru

Actually wirelsssl connecting the satellites first to the main unit wirelessly is not a limitation. It's preferred to sync the satellies wirelessly first, then connect ethernet. Setting up the satellites wirelessly gets them prepped and synced fully. This can be done while near the main router unit or in same room first thing. Then satellites can be placed at there remote locations and connected via ethernet. For Orbi systems, the wireless backhaul is the main default connection and is always ON. Should the ethernet connection fail for any reason, the wireless backhaul is there to fall back on. 

Message 2 of 4
mjsmith1568
Aspirant

Hi Furry,

Before I accept as a solution, I just want to make sure I understand the process correctly.

1. Near the router, plug in the satellite and setup wirelessly according to the instructions.

2. completely unplug the satellite, diconnecting from power, and move to its intended room near power and ethernet connection.

3. Connect to power and ethernet and when the satellite powers back up, it will be still be joined to the network and you won't need to set it up again.

Is this basically correct?

I had thought that this limitation meant that a satellite always needed a wireless connection to at least one other satellite/router for the wired backhaul channel to work.

Thanks,

Matthew

Message 3 of 4
FURRYe38
Guru

@mjsmith1568 wrote:

Hi Furry,

Before I accept as a solution, I just want to make sure I understand the process correctly. Yes. 

1. Near the router, plug in the satellite and setup wirelessly according to the instructions. Yes, or after the RBS is wirelessly synced, plug an ethernet cable in between the RBR and RBS while near the RBR to make sure the RBS is working ethernet connected. 

2. completely unplug the satellite, diconnecting from power, and move to its intended room near power and ethernet connection. Yes.

3. Connect to power and ethernet and when the satellite powers back up, it will be still be joined to the network and you won't need to set it up again. Yes. 

Is this basically correct? Yes.

I had thought that this limitation meant that a satellite always needed a wireless connection to at least one other satellite/router for the wired backhaul channel to work. No. 

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7