Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Ethernet CAT 5 patch cable suitability

devdeep
Guide

Ethernet CAT 5 patch cable suitability

I have an ethernet patch CAT 5 cable running from the Router downstirs to the room above it (connected to Asus router in AP Mode). I have two Orbi satallites - one at the end of the house downstairs and one upstairs (both in WiFi mode). Might move the upstirs Orbi to replace the Asus AP.

Will chsnging it to CAT 6 or 7 make a lot of difference.? I seem to get almost 80% output in that room but degrades a lot in the room next door (walls are single brick / plaster board.

Message 1 of 18

Accepted Solutions
FURRYe38
Guru

CAT5 is rated for 100Mpbs. CAT5e started to support 1000Mpbs. I highly recommend CAT6. Been using it for years. I have CAT6A in wall and it's rated for 10Gb for if and when I can get into that speed. So 6 or 7 and you'll be fine. 

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 18

All Replies
FURRYe38
Guru

CAT5 is rated for 100Mpbs. CAT5e started to support 1000Mpbs. I highly recommend CAT6. Been using it for years. I have CAT6A in wall and it's rated for 10Gb for if and when I can get into that speed. So 6 or 7 and you'll be fine. 

Message 2 of 18
devdeep
Guide

@FURRYe38 wrote:

Thanks. I guess will consider 7 as it is only slightly more than price of 6. PAin really! Will have to go through "re-threading" the cable again! I guess, in the end it is worth it!

Message 3 of 18
FURRYe38
Guru

Ya it's worth it. Once it all done and upgraded, you'll be fine for years to come. 

Message 4 of 18
schumaku
Guru

@FURRYe38 wrote:

CAT5 is rated for 100Mpbs. CAT5e started to support 1000Mpbs. ..... 

Hmmm, that's not appropriate. CAT5 - permitting all four pairs (eight strands) are in place and properly crimped - does support signal rates of up to 100 MHz. As such it can handle both Gigabit and typically 2.5Gb MultiGig. FMI: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category_5_cable

Message 5 of 18
FURRYe38
Guru

Maybe however seen it where some CAT5 doesn't work as well as 5e or 6. Also would be depending upon contruction of cables as well. Some mfrs don't do great jobs in this area. Smiley Embarassed

Also have learned from experience and OJT, dont' mixed older CAT version with newer. Best to keep and maintain one CAT level if possible. CAT6 seems to work well if you get good stuff. Haven't had any issues with it since going all CAT6 years ago. Solid and stable. 

Message 6 of 18
devdeep
Guide

@schumaku wrote:

@FURRYe38 wrote:

CAT5 is rated for 100Mpbs. CAT5e started to support 1000Mpbs. ..... 

Hmmm, that's not appropriate. CAT5 - permitting all four pairs (eight strands) are in place and properly crimped - does support signal rates of up to 100 MHz. As such it can handle both Gigabit and typically 2.5Gb MultiGig. FMI: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category_5_cable

My cable just says Patch cable CAT 5. Is there a way to confirm if all 4 pairs are in place or not.  I obviously would not want to "split" the cable to see. 

Message 7 of 18
schumaku
Guru

Easy visible on the RJ45 connectors. A reduced (two pairs, four strands) would have four contacts on the RJ45 empty.

Message 8 of 18
devdeep
Guide

Difficult to see. I have tried to attach an image

Message 9 of 18
FURRYe38
Guru

Can you take a clearer picture by chance? Looks like there all there but ya, hard to tell with a blurry picture...

Message 10 of 18
devdeep
Guide

@FURRYe38 wrote:

Can you take a clearer picture by chance? Looks like there all there but ya, hard to tell with a blurry picture...

This is the best pic I can get. 

Interestingly, on a 350Mbs broadband, I am getting around 370Mbs with this cable!

Message 11 of 18
schumaku
Guru

Four pairs (orange, blue, green, brown) in place - permitting the crimping and contacts are OK you should be fine.

Message 12 of 18
devdeep
Guide

@schumaku wrote:

Four pairs (orange, blue, green, brown) in place - permitting the crimping and contacts are OK you should be fine.

I guess getting more than 350Mbs confirms it.

Message 13 of 18
schumaku
Guru

@devdeep wrote:

Interestingly, on a 350Mbs broadband, I am getting around 370Mbs with this cable!

Whatever broadband signal the cable is used to - just the center pair for some kind of xDSL, or a Gigabit Ethernet link...

Message 14 of 18
devdeep
Guide

@schumaku wrote:

Whatever broadband signal the cable is used to - just the center pair for some kind of xDSL, or a Gigabit Ethernet link...

Can you explain this a bit more please?

Message 15 of 18
schumaku
Guru

@devdeep wrote:

I simply don't understand how you used the cable - "broadband signal" is to me more a two wire connection with an ADSL or VDSL signal. Of course a standard network cable does a good job for such a link, too. Or was it used for a LAN/Ethernet link between a computer or router and the modem?

Message 16 of 18
FURRYe38
Guru

DSL comes across on RJ11(phone) 2 or 4 wire cables. Ethernet is always RG45 and 8 wire cables. 

Message 17 of 18
devdeep
Guide

@schumaku wrote:

@devdeep wrote:

I simply don't understand how you used the cable - "broadband signal" is to me more a two wire connection with an ADSL or VDSL signal. Of course a standard network cable does a good job for such a link, too. Or was it used for a LAN/Ethernet link between a computer or router and the modem?

Cable is between main router and the Access Point. 

Message 18 of 18
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 17 replies
  • 4 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7