Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Facebook and Instagram not loading on WiFi

stu3886
Apprentice

Facebook and Instagram not loading on WiFi

When connected to orbi wifi using the mobile app for facebook and instagram on my phone it fails to load images and videos and when they do its extremely slow, when I switch to mobile data it loads without any problems. 

Orbi RBK853 in AP mode connected to Sky q hub.

I've seen this is a common issue for orbi users in router mode so they have more options they can change. However I run mine in AP mode and have the same problems. 

Speed tests are fine and everything else seems to load fine without any problems, just seems to be affecting facebook and instgram apps.

Any help is greatly appreciated. I've tried factory resetting sky q hub and orbi router and satellites but the issues is still the same. 

Message 1 of 26

Accepted Solutions
stu3886
Apprentice

Re: Facebook and Instagram not loading on WiFi

They did work in AP mode but I needed to roll back to an older firmware and block all updates. This worked great but eventually, a change would happen and the update would get pushed randomly at night and I would have to waste time rolling back again. 

The problem was I had an ISP-provided router so I was getting double NAT if I used the Orbi in router mode.

I changed my internet to FTTP so I had an ONT installed with this. I connected the ONT to my orbi directly and used the orbi as the router. no double NAT and everything appears to be working ok. 

View solution in original post

Message 25 of 26

All Replies
plemans
Guru

When the orbi is in ap mode, your sky q hub is controlling all the dns/dhcp/routing functions. 

The orbi is acting as a simple access point. 

Try checking the sky q's dns. Maybe it'll let you use a different dns provider.

Message 2 of 26
stu3886
Apprentice

Unfortunatly sky q hub doesnt allow you to change the DNS on the router. i have tried changing the DNS on my mobile but that didn't make any difference. 

I tried the orbi in router mode and the facebook and Instagram loading issue went away but then I had the issue of Double NAT. 

I also tried disconnecting the orbi and turning on the sky q hub wireless to connect directly and that worked as well. so it seems like the issue is related to the orbi 

Message 3 of 26
plemans
Guru

So put the orbi in router mode and put the orbi's ip address into the skyhub's DMZ. 

See if that works

Message 4 of 26
stu3886
Apprentice

tried it with the DMZ but i get Double NAT

is there anything else that can be changed/checked when the orbi is in AP mode?

Message 5 of 26
plemans
Guru

In AP mode, the sky hub is handling all the routing. 

https://kb.netgear.com/26765/Which-features-are-disabled-on-my-NETGEAR-router-when-it-is-set-to-AP-M...

Is there anyway for the skyhub to be put in passthrough/modem only mode?

Message 6 of 26
stu3886
Apprentice

sadly not, sky dont allow modem only on their routers 😞

I have tried with an asus router in AP mode and it all works perfectly, so it definitely seems like its an orbi specific issue.

I also don't have the ability to downgrade the firmware from the current V4.6.3.16_2.0.51

Message 7 of 26
FURRYe38
Guru

Putting the RBR in router mode in the modems DMZ should work. Yes it will be double NAT however DMZ will resolve any NAT issues. 

Message 8 of 26
stu3886
Apprentice

The issue with using the DMZ and having the double NAT is that trying to access/control the sky box from mobile phone stops working as it seems to leave the sky boxes on the routers NAT. I know this may seem trivial to most but when you don't have the remote control to hand its nice to be able to use your mobile. 

I've read so many posts on here and attempted various troubleshoots, are we expecting another firmware upgrade from NG soon? i can see from another recent post that the recent firmware has caused all manner of issues for some users. 

Cant downgrade FW on this current version and cant prevent automatic FW upgrades?

Message 9 of 26
FURRYe38
Guru

You should be connecting any ISP devices to the ISP modem, not Orbi.

Even if you have Orbi and the modem both in router mode, your always in double NAT regardless of FW version. If you use the DMZ on the modem for Orbi in router mode and connect ISP devices to the ISP modem in router mode, you should be fine in this configuration. If not, you'll need to use Orbi in AP mode then. 

Message 10 of 26
stu3886
Apprentice

this is where i've come to... i want to use the orbi in AP mode but facebook and Instagram apps arent loading properly on mobiles. 

i was hoping I could either upgrade/downgrade my current firmware to see if that resolves the issue as it was working before the latest automatic update 😞

Message 11 of 26
FURRYe38
Guru

So with the RBR in AP mode and not using the DMZ, these apps are not loading on your devices? RBR would not be blocking anything in AP mode.

Has a factory reset and setup from scratch been performed since last FW update? A complete pull of the power adapters for a period of time after the factory reset then walk thru the setup wizard and setup from scratch.
I would power OFF the ISP modem for 1 minute. Factory reset the Orbi router and power it off. Power ON the ISP modem and let it sync. Then power ON the Orbi router and walk thru the setup wizard again using a wired PC and a web browser.
Press the back reset button for 15 seconds then release. 

I'd leave OFF the RBS and set them up later. 

Message 12 of 26
stu3886
Apprentice

Yep you've got it in one, RBR in AP mode and not using the DMZ, these apps are not loading properly on my devices.

Yes factory rest of orbi and tried factory reset of ISP modem and disconnecting power as well. These were also the steps that NG support ran through with me, but then got stuck when there wasn't a "yes" button to downgrade the firmware, promisssed me a call back from next level of support... but still waiting.

Message 13 of 26
dani_aniston96
Aspirant

When dealing with a situation like this, the first crucial thing to identify is whether the issue is isolated or impacts a large number of people. Try these things first: 

1. Clear the cache and data on Instagram and Facebook.
  2. >Install the app again.
  3. Remove yourself from the Beta programme or try an earlier APK.
  4. Try Browser-based access

If nothing work for you then may be this problem is caused by IPV6. Disable IPv6 and then try, Your apps will operate flawlessly.>

Message 14 of 26
FURRYe38
Guru

Let us know if @dani_aniston96 suggestions help...

Message 15 of 26
stu3886
Apprentice

1. Tried clearing browser cache and removing and reinstalling both Facebook and Instagram apps.
2. Not sure how I can remove myself from the beta? or install earlier Facebook and Instagram APK. I’m on iPhone
3. Browser based access works ok.

Have tried on multiple devices in the house and all seem to be affected.
Message 16 of 26
jk_89
Aspirant

I have the exact same issue Stu and posted about it on a seperate thread.

Only started being a problem with the latest firmware update, it appears. @FURRYe38 has responded to me and I am yet to try his suggestions, but sounds exactly like what I am experiencing across all of my devices.

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi-WiFi-6/Orbi-RBK-852-slow-won-t-finish-loading-buffering/m-p/21...

Message 17 of 26
stu3886
Apprentice

unfortunately i cant put my sky q hub in modem only mode and doing the DMZ gives me double NAT which causing interference with the connectivity for my sky tv multiroom boxes. 

I'd LOVE the option to roll back the firmware or would like to know when the next release/fix is available.

Potentially could be upgrading to fttp as its become available to me, can the orbi be connected directly to the ONT without the need for the sky modem/router?

Message 18 of 26
FURRYe38
Guru

Something to ask your ISP about. If you connect your sky boxes to the ISP modem in router mode, then you shouldn't have a problem with double nat while using DMZ for the RBR. DMZ helps with double NAT issues for the RBR in router mode. 

Message 19 of 26
stu3886
Apprentice

So the original issue is still happening.

But a further update in my troubleshooting. If I switch over to the guest wifi the problem goes away!

It’s definitely an orbi issue not an ISP issue
Message 20 of 26
stu3886
Apprentice

microsoft teams dropping calls and not connecting when connected via LAN to satellite

the satellite is connected to router via the wireless backhaul. 

This is definitely an orbi issue not ISP.

Message 21 of 26
alexwatson564
Aspirant

Try these things:

1. Reset your wi-fi connection.
  2. Check Instagram running status on DownDetector  
  3. Clear the cache and data on Instagram and Facebook.
  4. Don’t use a VPN to access Instagram
  5. Install the app again.
  6. Remove yourself from the Beta program.
  7. Try Browser-based access.

If nothing works for you then perhaps this problem is caused by IPV6. Try to disable IPv6. 

Message 22 of 26
stu3886
Apprentice

Unfortunately, I never did resolve the issue.

The only fix was to turn off AP Mode and use it in router mode. So far so good.

Message 23 of 26
FURRYe38
Guru

So FB and IG are now working for you with orbi in router mode? 

@stu3886 wrote:

Unfortunately, I never did resolve the issue.

The only fix was to turn off AP Mode and use it in router mode. So far so good.

Message 24 of 26
stu3886
Apprentice

They did work in AP mode but I needed to roll back to an older firmware and block all updates. This worked great but eventually, a change would happen and the update would get pushed randomly at night and I would have to waste time rolling back again. 

The problem was I had an ISP-provided router so I was getting double NAT if I used the Orbi in router mode.

I changed my internet to FTTP so I had an ONT installed with this. I connected the ONT to my orbi directly and used the orbi as the router. no double NAT and everything appears to be working ok. 

Message 25 of 26
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 25 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 6 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7