Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Firmware 3.2.16.22

skeelo
Luminary

Firmware 3.2.16.22

Anyone update to the latest firmware for their RBR850?

Any issues?

What is the BDF table?
Message 1 of 20
FURRYe38
Guru

Message 2 of 20
TomNewe
Aspirant

I have updated twice and twice had to revert to previous version as the Router wouldn't give access to the Internet (Connected via a Huawei F2000 Modem) after about 12 hours active. Second time even a reboot didn't solve the problem. 

Message 3 of 20
FURRYe38
Guru

What mode is your modem working in? Your modem already has a built in router and wifi:

This would be a double NAT (two router) condition which isn't recommended. https://kb.netgear.com/30186/What-is-Double-NAT
https://kb.netgear.com/30187/How-to-fix-issues-with-Double-NAT
Couple of options,
1. Configure the modem for transparent bridge or modem only mode. Then use the Orbi router in router mode. You'll need to contact the ISP for help and information in regards to the modem being bridged correctly.
2. If you can't bridge the modem, disable ALL wifi radios on the modem, configure the modems DMZ/ExposedHost or IP Pass-Through for the IP address the Orbi router gets from the modem. Then you can use the Orbi router in Router mode.
3. Or disable all wifi radios on the modem and connect the Orbi router to the modem, configure AP mode on the Orbi router. https://kb.netgear.com/31218/How-do-I-configure-my-Orbi-router-to-act-as-an-access-point and https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H7LOcJ8GdDo&app=desktop

@TomNewe wrote:

I have updated twice and twice had to revert to previous version as the Router wouldn't give access to the Internet (Connected via a Huawei F2000 Modem) after about 12 hours active. Second time even a reboot didn't solve the problem. 

Message 4 of 20
TomNewe
Aspirant

Thank you @FURRYe38 I will try that. I dont think i can use Bridge mode as I use VOIP on the F2000 and Bridging it would disable it. I may need to move some equipment around in order to use the VOIP port on the RBR850 or try option 2 or 3 that you sent me. 

Message 5 of 20
FURRYe38
Guru

Ok, option 2 or 3 will definately help. 

Message 6 of 20
TomNewe
Aspirant

Hi @FURRYe38 Can i ask if it is necessary to disable the WiFi on the IPS router when the Orbi is in AP mode. I haven't done this and the Orbi still drops internet access intermittently and then i use the original ISP router WiFi

Message 7 of 20
FURRYe38
Guru

It's recommended to disable wifi on the ISP router. 

Message 8 of 20
coretech51
Tutor

Has anyone update to v3.2.17.12 from 3.2.16.22? If so, did the Orbi WiFi 6 RBR850 automatically do it or did you have to do a manual update? Thanks.
Message 9 of 20
FURRYe38
Guru

v12 is only availalble for manual download. NG did not make it avaialble on there update servers. 

@coretech51 wrote:
Has anyone update to v3.2.17.12 from 3.2.16.22? If so, did the Orbi WiFi 6 RBR850 automatically do it or did you have to do a manual update? Thanks.

Message 10 of 20
killswitch83
Guide

I too have a RBR850, and am experiencing dips in internet speed. I will have to get back to you guys on Spectrum router model, but it doesn't have built-in wifi (had to use their separate module). Running an Asus USB wifi dongle (again, will get back to you on model). After successfully performing setup, it updated the firmware immediately after. Worked fine for a few, but when we started streaming Netflix and I was using my desktop, that's when I noticed the fluctuating performance. Any suggestions? Thanks in advance!
Message 11 of 20
FURRYe38
Guru

Is this only seen with the RBR alone or do you have RBS deployed as well? 

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet or more is recommended in between RBR and RBS to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected.
https://kb.netgear.com/31029/Where-should-I-place-my-Orbi-satellite
https://kb.netgear.com/000062035/How-many-satellites-can-you-add-t

What channels are you using? Auto? Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and 40 to 48 channel on 5Ghz.
Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?

You can find other speed diagnosis steps in the community faq: https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi-AX/Community-FAQ-My-Orbi-speeds-are-slow-inconsistent-and-don-...

Be sure to check your CTS and RTS values. If they are at 64, please change both to 2347.

under Advanced Tab/Advanced Settings/Wireless Settings

@killswitch83 wrote:
I too have a RBR850, and am experiencing dips in internet speed. I will have to get back to you guys on Spectrum router model, but it doesn't have built-in wifi (had to use their separate module). Running an Asus USB wifi dongle (again, will get back to you on model). After successfully performing setup, it updated the firmware immediately after. Worked fine for a few, but when we started streaming Netflix and I was using my desktop, that's when I noticed the fluctuating performance. Any suggestions? Thanks in advance!

Message 12 of 20
killswitch83
Guide

Hi Furry,

To answer some of your questions here:

-I have a satellite deployed, at the appropriate distance from the router, as recommended below (30+ feet).  House is 2100 sq. ft., with normal building materials (wood, drywall either 3/8" or 1/2" thick)

-I counted approximately 23 different wifi entries via NirSoft wifiinfoview, the vast majority of which belong to the apartment complex across the street from me (very weak signals).

-I adjusted all of the settings mentioned below, but with no luck.  Disabling AX didn't do anything, either.  An obersevation though: whenever my girlfriend goes to stream on her cell-phone, in the same area as the router, that's when things start slowing down for my desktop.  If she does the same streaming on her laptop, however, the speed goes back up for the desktop, to speeds I usually see.  Also of note: if she streams on her cell in the back bedroom, which is away from the router and is running on the satellite instead, there's no issue there either.  Any input as to why any of this is?  For now, as it seems optimal, she'll be using her laptop to stream and do bandwidth-intensive tasks when near the router.  

Message 13 of 20
FURRYe38
Guru

What brand of phone is she using? 

What kind of streaming is she doing? What app?

What is the wifi adapter brand that you have on your PC? 

Are you speed testing when she is streaming or just doing normal stuff? 

Message 14 of 20
killswitch83
Guide

She has a Samsung S10, streaming HD video via Netflix.  My wifi adapter is an Asus USB-AC53 Nano, which is an AC1200 adapter.  I have speed-tested under load with her phone in the router vicinity (signal drop-out occurs here), no load on her phone but on my PC (router vicinity, normal speeds here), load on her laptop and my desktop on the router side (normal speeds), and then loads on both my PC and her phone (with her phone being on the satellite side of the house, and my desktop on the router side: normal speeds observed here also)....

Message 15 of 20
FURRYe38
Guru

Be sure your NANO drivers are up to date as well. 

Is the NANO a 2.4 only or a dual band adapter? 

Message 16 of 20
killswitch83
Guide

The driver is up to date, and I forgot to mention that it's a dual-band adapter.

Message 17 of 20
FURRYe38
Guru

Shouldn't be seeing any bandwidth issues. Seems like your adapter is getting starved when the streaming happens when your both on the same RBR wifi. 

Only other thing I might try would be a different adapter on your PC. 

Message 18 of 20
killswitch83
Guide

As it turns out, you were correct concerning the adapter: that little Asus AC53 (AC1200) couldn't hang with the heavy load demand coming from all the other devices to the router.  Swapped it out with a Netgear A7000-10000S AC1900 adapter, and everything is stable as can be.  Consistently fast Speedtest (and real-world) speeds, even with all devices running at full-bore, streaming and the like.  Thanks for the help and suggestions!

Message 19 of 20
FURRYe38
Guru

Glad you found something that works. 

Enjoy. Smiley Wink

@killswitch83 wrote:

As it turns out, you were correct concerning the adapter: that little Asus AC53 (AC1200) couldn't hang with the heavy load demand coming from all the other devices to the router.  Swapped it out with a Netgear A7000-10000S AC1900 adapter, and everything is stable as can be.  Consistently fast Speedtest (and real-world) speeds, even with all devices running at full-bore, streaming and the like.  Thanks for the help and suggestions!

Message 20 of 20
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 19 replies
  • 5 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7