Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Firmware update and ipv6

AnthonyBEarles
Aspirant

Firmware update and ipv6

Has anyone updated their Orbi firmware to v4. 6.8.2 and encountered an issue where connected devices cannot lookup ipv6 DNS (DNS6) records?

IPv6 is setup correctly (dual stack) and has been working without a problem before this update.

Any help would be appreciated.
Message 1 of 13

Accepted Solutions
AnthonyBEarles
Aspirant

Re: Firmware update and ipv6

Well, not sure what's happened - whether it's a router glitch or my ISP but the IPv6 is working on the network again and seems to be stable.

As you were.

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 13

All Replies
FarmerBob1
Luminary

IPv6 was a darling back in the v3.x Firmware days. But has gone all kinds of wonky since. I noticed that when there was no longer a WAN IPv6 Address shown in the WAN part of the set up. Which told me I had an IPv6 connection to my ISP. Now only in the LAN shows an address and that doesn't confirm that you have an IPv6 connection on the WAN until you try it.

Dual Stack is a broad term. What settings on your Router do you have it set at for your ISPs (which is?) way of handling IPv6? I have to use 6rd Tunnel for CL Fiber and they claim theirs is true dual stack. But that's only a way to describe that they are piggybacking IPv6 on IPv4, but how, in your case.

I have noticed that the Speed Tests for IPv6 exclusively acknowledge that most delivery ways are good for what most ISPs need. But are usually the easy way out to say that they have IPv6 available. Then it's up to the Router to deal with getting it. In my CL router the software is great. But setting up IPv6 is a bit a chore. So that makes me wonder if outside the ISP that the 3rd Party Router manufacturers aren't including the whole process that is needed to effectively grab and retain IPv6?

Message 2 of 13
AnthonyBEarles
Aspirant

Thanks for your reply.

My ISP (Zen) uses a dual-stack PPPoE setup which, until the recent update, has been working flawlessly for the past 2 years. I don't have the issues you report - the WAN IPv6 address shows correctly, as does the LAN address. The clients are all being assigned IPv6 addresses and DNS6 IPs. The issue is that none of the clients can look up the IPv6 addresses.

The results from various online ipv6 tests vary. Some say that everything is OK, whilst others simply return the ipv4 address, telling me I don't have IPv6 enabled (I have).

As an experiment I reverted the update to the previously working version of the firmware but the problem persists.

I'm in discussions with my ISP as to whether they've made any changes to their IPv6 implementation - they say they haven't (which rings true as the WAN side of things seems to be working).

Also - something I've noticed is that the router isn't reporting any new firmware updates being available even through there have been at least 3 releases since the one it's currently running (I had to install the latest version manually). Any ideas on this?

Message 3 of 13
AnthonyBEarles
Aspirant

Well, not sure what's happened - whether it's a router glitch or my ISP but the IPv6 is working on the network again and seems to be stable.

As you were.

Message 4 of 13
FURRYe38
Guru

How many days as IPv6 been online and running? 

@AnthonyBEarles wrote:

As you were.

Message 5 of 13
AnthonyBEarles
Aspirant

In total? About 2 years - but since the "issue", it's been back up for about an hour.

Message 6 of 13
FURRYe38
Guru

OK, Ya I'm looking to see how long since the issue appeared that your IPv6 has been working. Could you monitor this for the next 4-7 days and let us know if you see anything happen with IPv6? Hopefully you won't. 

Message 7 of 13
AnthonyBEarles
Aspirant

Will do. Strangely, I had to disable IGMP proxying to get it to work again, after I'd had to enable it a few weeks ago to maintain IPv6 connectivity.

Message 8 of 13
FURRYe38
Guru

Hmmm. 

Message 9 of 13
AnthonyBEarles
Aspirant

Just to keep you updated, the IPv6 has been rock solid since it came back.
Message 10 of 13
FURRYe38
Guru

And you only disabled IGMP Proxying? 

Message 11 of 13
AnthonyBEarles
Aspirant

Yes, but I can't claim that was the fix as I'd tried it previously. I suspect it was an issue with the local exchange infrastructure.
Message 12 of 13
FURRYe38
Guru

👍

Be sure to save off a back up configuration to file for safe keeping. Saves time if a reset is needed.
https://kb.netgear.com/000062080/How-do-I-back-up-the-configuration-settings-on-my-Orbi-WiFi-System
Enjoy. 📡

Message 13 of 13
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 12 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7