Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Force 5ghz Channel

Jorbiman
Follower

Force 5ghz Channel

I have the Orbi + 1 satellite AX4200 RBR750, and none of my 5ghz capable devices will go onto the 5ghz channel

I have been struggling with this thing for way too long and it's starting to get ridiculous how frustrating and complicated it is just to get a device to connect to the 5ghz channel. I've done some research but have discovered that using Telnet to separate the SSID's is no longer an option, and I also learned that I don't even have the option to turn off the 2.4 ghz channel at all. Is there any simple  way to help get my devices to go to the channels I want them to go?

The only time I have ever seen even 1 device use the 5ghz channel was when a playstation was sitting right next to the satellite. 

Model: RBK53|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi System
Message 1 of 5
Mikey94025
Hero

The best you can do is lower the 2.4Ghz transmit power from 100% to 25% via orbilogin.com and Advanced... Advanced... Wireless Settings.

Still, it's odd that your devices are not automatically connecting via 5Ghz.  What have you changed from default settings?  I haven't modified 2.4Ghz transmit power and I'm using the defaults of CTS/RTS=64 and Preamble=Auto.  The only things I've changed are fixed 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz channels.  You might try Auto if you're not using that now and see if it makes a difference for your devices.

Message 2 of 5
FURRYe38
Guru

What Firmware version is currently loaded?

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet is recommended in between RBR and RBS to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected. https://kb.netgear.com/000036466/How-far-should-I-place-my-Orbi-satellite-from-my-Orbi-router

Message 3 of 5
yoyoyojo
Aspirant

I have an Orbi RBR850.   As many have said the latest firmware updates take away telnet capabilities and thuis make it impossible to create a separate dedicated 5 ghz ssid as many used to suggest.

However after much troubleshooting I got the idea to force this on my device, in particular my Window 10 PC.

In device manager for your network adaptor (assuming it support 5 Ghz) you will see one of the properties "Band Preference" (I've read it can be called something different like "Preferred Band", perhaps this is up to each adpater's driver).

Anyhoo you can force the band there for you client device. The bands mignt be listed in english terms (ie 2.4 gHz / 5 gHz) or it may be listed as the offical name of the protocol like 802.11a

While this does not completely solve your problem I hope iot helps a little.  

Message 4 of 5
FURRYe38
Guru

Thanks for posting this. Hopefully will be helpful for those adaptors that have this feature. Not all may have it.
Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7